Have you ever bought gold from Bank of Taiwan?

Has anyone on here ever bought gold bars from bank of Taiwan? I can’t find prices on their website and wanted to know much far over spot price they charge. Also, did you just go to any bank of Taiwan or do they only stock them at the larger ones?

I’ve bought it from the post office. It’s a high premium unless you buy kgs.

Was is the bank of Taiwan branded gold?

I want to buy the 37.5g gold bars they offer.

Is that what you decided to do instead of getting robbed on transfer fees sending money back to the UK? :grin:

1 Like

Yes, for my daughters savings xD

My own savings I’m still sending back though lol

1 Like

I would have to check.

If you can, buy coins instead of bars.

With bars it is clear their purpose is as an investment, and depending on where you take them, may be subject to taxes at their market value.

With coins especially if you have a varied collection, you can say it is a collectible. Also with coins sometimes you can declare their value to be their face value, which is often much less than the metal’s value.

8 Likes

Actually does the post office sell platinum bars? like 1 gram bars?

Okay so I found the page on the Bank of Taiwan website. I didn’t click on it originally because it is called “historical price of gold”, but in fact it shows the price of their current gold products.

The 37.5g gram gold bar is $64,313, which is pretty good considering the spot price for 37.5g right now is $63,724. The question now is whether I can really just walk into any BoT and buy them.

3 Likes

Oh actually, I think the price the customer pays is the “selling” price, so it is a bit more.

1 Like

The buy sell price is in referrence to them buying or selling to/from you, same with foreign currency.

So, if they buy from you 64k
If they sell to you 66k

1 Like

I’d be interested to know that too. Are you gonna try? So it seems like there’s a premium of about 2.5k for buying the bars - no idea whether that’s a good deal or not? :thinking:

That’s pretty good for a bar that size.

I’m gonna try on Tuesday at lunch time

Does the $1,008 fee mean buying physical gold (rather than digital promise of gold value) or is there some gold book fee thing that is something else?

I like the tip on coins and declaring face value. I wonder if governments have double standard’d that one yet?

Doesnt taiwan have strict laws against send gold out of country?

Edit. I guess they did find a way. Over 700k more per kg going coins over bars, ouch.

The $1008 fee is if you have non-physical gold in your gold passbook and want to convert it to that gold holobar.

Good luck with that if caught…

I worked it out at about 88USD over spot. That’s somewhere on the average-high if you compare the premium in the US for gold bars (coins have slightly higher premiums). That said, I really enjoy picking up gold in taiwan, and do it whenever I have the chance. It’s really cool stuff you can’t get in the states, and the fractional stuff is actually much more affordable based on the way they calculate spot at most of the gold shops here.

I actually really enjoy getting the Yuanbo here. And they sell at a significant premium overseas, since they are hard to find.

I walked into BoT several years ago and bought kilos with cash. No
problem. Don’t know if that’s how it works now.

They told me they don’t buy gold back.

Depending on the country you are in, declaring value as face value of the coin vs. metal value is perfectly legal, especially if the coin is recognized as legal tender. Do your own research and check with an accountant first if in doubt.

Bars of gold are easier to counterfeit than coins, with potentially better returns (e.g. 1kg gold bar vs. 1oz gold coin). A friend of mine is a bullion dealer and he says for bigger investment bars of gold from unknown customers, he always conditions the sale on physically cutting the bar to check for tungsten inserts.

Are gold coins legal tender?