Have you noticed that Google answers are biased

Google defaults to a bias based on how you ask the question (and other things) and does not give just an accurate factual answer.

Ask Google a simple question from both perspectives.

For example ask first

Is cheese unhealthy?

And then ask

Is cheese healthy?

Two different answers when you just want to know the facts about the cheese which are not different based on how you ask a question.

It reinforces a bias that could be completely wrong.

4 Likes

All part of the master plan by our alien overlords.
@discobot quote

1 Like

@discobot quote

1 Like

:left_speech_bubble: Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret. ā€” Ambrose Bierce

3 Likes

Whammo!

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

But the fact is people often answer questions differently based on how the question is asked. Thatā€™s why some polls and questionnaires deliberately phrase questions a certain way to get the result they want. Thatā€™s also why referendum laws around the world often include limitations to how a question is phrased.

Often times when people google, they are looking for arguments that reinforce their established opinion, and as a result would prefer clicking one certain responses based on how they phrased their questions. Googleā€™s algorithm is simply reflecting that fact.

1 Like

The key problem is that trying to build knowledge, from text, is as yet an unsolved problem. Theyā€™ve had some success with Q&A type models, cloze type tasks, where they can answer a question that has the relevant answer in a passage. But these successes have turned out to be little more than just correlation of patterns of words, rather than any true ā€˜knowledgeā€™.

Donā€™t take my word for it, Geoffery Hinton (Google Brain) has suggested throwing it all away and starting again.

Thereā€™s not an accurate factual answer to those kind of general questions. Both though for me return featured articles that seem to do a good job of laying out available facts:

Asking ā€œwhat are the health-related facts about cheeseā€ returns links to both those articles and other similar ones. Not sure you can ask much more than that!

Google isnā€™t finding you the right answer, but an answer you asked and sites that match your words.

Sweet jesus, robots really have improved their game. Well said.

Anyone also notice that google translate is quite china leaning? Perhaps thats logical? but it has been quite annoying given we chose traditional character and they give us traditional characters in the way china would say it. Aka, useless translation for taiwan in some circumstances. Maybe thats a stretch but it is quite apparent.

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Yes.
Which is why Iā€™ve been using duckduckgo for years.

I havenā€™t had issues with Google Translate (or I probably wouldnā€™t be able to tell!), but itā€™s increasingly difficult to find good results when searching about usage or grammar (English) issues. So many of the top hits are unreliable China-based resources.

I have this problem more with work computers than my home devices, so somethingā€™s going on with whether the computer ā€œknowsā€ me or not. Understandably - thatā€™s the good side of the thousands of cookies we all pick up.

Itā€™s weird that you canā€™t access Google in China, but Google spews out mostly Chinese links at search.

2 Likes