Have you passed on your musical tastes to your kid?

Mostly yes. My boy listens to a lot of classic rock and 90s grunge (really likes Soundgarden, Zeppelin, Boston, Pink Floyd, etc.). I also listen to a lot of Jazz and Classical which I have been less successful in passing on to him. He appreciates classical and will listen to it with me as I explain its structure, but won’t listen to it on his own.

I am just glad that he doesn’t listen to the local pop stuff. It is among the lowest forms of music. Sorry. I am as localized of a foreigner that you will ever come across, but the music is just…bad.

1 Like

While I am not a parent, my musical tastes don’t derive from my parents. I have, for some reason gone with music I grew up with in the 90s, including EDM and the freestyle hits of the time.

My mum likes Country. My dad likes Rock.

It’s about 50-50. They’re girls so that makes sense. My older daughter loved bands like High On Fire and The Darkness when she was little, but not nearly as much now. My younger daughter likes Styx (I know, I know…) and more R&B-type stuff. Both of them agree on Panic! At the Disco.

Our nine-year-old just loves this. I’m so proud and I just love rockin’ out with him in the car.

4 Likes

My kids (5yo and 3yo) really like this one:

They even sing along!

1 Like

My 9-year-old asked to go to sleep to “The Caress of Steel” last night. He’s already going in for the deep cuts! Who knows what will stick, though? He still adores me and does what I do…that won’t last forever.

2 Likes

It does not, but I took my kid and his friends to a Kendrick Lamar concert once, 7th row center on the floor. It. Was. Great. Deaf for days after…that’s gotta count for something.

2 Likes

Neil Peart has inspired our son to want to learn the drums. I hesitate because there is only so much time in a day and he’s just now getting the hang of school and also getting decent in the pool. Do I dare add another thing to the mix and possibly end up with a kid who is mediocre in everything? Hmmmm.

1 Like

I took my daughter to a Guns N’ Roses concert a few years ago, but now she likes Blackpink.

2 Likes
1 Like

It’s not our choice. We as parents do what we feel is best at the time. My son and I started acoustic guitar lessons at the same time, together. His skills surpassed my own at the six month mark. Then he took piano, then guitar again. He worked for an bought a $500 Godwin electric. He plays, he noodles, he jams with his friend who is far more talented.

You never know. I wanted him to be the next Justin Bieber ffs. :runaway:

2 Likes

Who knows, but it worked out well for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just googled Blackpink. I feel your pain.

I went to a GNR concert a few years ago. I’m not the most PC man out there, but the lyrics haven’t aged well. Still had a blast, though!

2 Likes

I don’t have kids lol. But I grew up with my father playing slow rock on weekends, songs from Led Zeppelin, Eagles, America, Bryan Adams, Air Supply haha. And he also loves playing the guitar and tuning it to Stairway to Heaven. This happened back in the 90s, so there was no Internet to seduce me to TikTok or Facebook my life away while at home.

As I grew up, I went into my own pop phase–Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, etc. But as I got into high school, for some reason, I went on an alternative rock phase haha. And then as I got older and when I started working abroad, I started to listen to old rock songs too. I guess I partly did it because I miss my father. And because it brings me back mundane but precious memories of our weekends as a family. He’s still alive, but living in another country.

Their lyrics aren’t as inappropriate as Blackpink’s dancing, at least when prepubescent girls copy it.

1 Like