Have you passed on your musical tastes to your kid?

Mine has taken to Nirvana, Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd which I am quite thankful for, yet he has not taken the Grateful Dead (he knows them and listens to them and my stories about going to shows and he knows the bootleg I have from a show when you can actually hear me whohooing because I was standing directly behind the tapers and I’m well…loud, but I wouldn’t say he’s a fan or listens to them on his own accord). He also likes Chinese pop, Wang Lee Hong and others and will attend WLH’s concert at the end of this month.

So, I’m happy about that and it’s great that we can share music. :thumbsup:

How about you all?

1 Like

For sure. They like rock, and don’t care for most pop, or run of the mill hip-hop. :thumbsup: Especially my younger daughter surprises me with some of the stuff she gets into, for example Elvis and Stevie Wonder that I (though I like them) didn’t introduce. They don’t like techno though :thumbsdown:

Mine was playing The Meat Puppets last night on his acoustic. Can’t beat that. :thumbsup:

Do you put music on their MP3s or whatnot TG?

I snuck in some Pearl Jam and he likes that now too, but it kinds of freaks me out when he walks around the house going, Jeremy spoke in, spoke in, Jeremy spoke in class todaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. :astonished:

Mine was getting seriously down to James Brown last night. He seems to like funk. He’s safe.

1 Like

There you go. My younger got a guitar but hasn’t stuck with it so far.

Not really, I help them, but I haven’t gotten one yet for the little one though.

A few things in the music I like could freak me out a bit actually :slight_smile: Ozzy is one of my younger’s faves :slight_smile: She was gonna be for halloween, was gonna buy rubber bat :slight_smile: But no one would have known who she was, she went as a hippie instead :slight_smile:

The little tramp likes Charlie Daniels, The Marshall Tucker Band, ABB, and Skynryd.
But he also likes the soundtrack from Cape No. 7, Jolin, and “Nobody but Chu”, so I don’t know?

[quote=“saddletramp”]The little tramp likes Charlie Daniels, The Marshall Tucker Band, ABB, and Skynryd.
But he also likes the soundtrack from Cape No. 7, Jolin, and “Nobody but Chu”, so I don’t know?[/quote]

Nice! and Aaaagh! :laughing:

Yeah, mine can really get into classic rock bands with me, but for some reason I also can’t get him to give up on the music of the Late Gloved One. :idunno:

Well, Billy Jean and thriller were great, but bad was just…bad.

Yeah, I guess. He really like Smooth Criminal and Man in the Mirror. He also really likes Adele.
He can sing Deep Purple’s Smoke on the Water, and CCR’s Suzi Q, just about word for word. On and Queen! He LOVES to ROCK YOU. Pink Floyd’s Brick in the Wall, since he figured out the lyrics, has become a favorite, too.

For sure. My daughter loves Irish/Newfoundland music. We were singing Molly Malone together yesterday. I have to admit that her tastes are taking a toll on me, too. I am actually starting to enjoy some Mandarin pop music.

I don’t have kids yet, but I have a cunning plan. Prior to adolescence, I will expose them to lots of good music. As soon as they become teenagers, I will take an active interest in whatever the “cool” Taiwanese pop music of the day is. That way, they will avoid it like the plague simply because I, their “old and uncool” father like it. I’ll also tell them how much I hate it when they listen to classic rock, jazz, funk, etc. :smiley:

[quote=“housecat”]Yeah, I guess. He really like Smooth Criminal and Man in the Mirror. He also really likes Adele.
He can sing Deep Purple’s Smoke on the Water, and CCR’s Suzi Q, just about word for word. On and Queen! He LOVES to ROCK YOU. Pink Floyd’s Brick in the Wall, since he figured out the lyrics, has become a favorite, too.[/quote]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: , gotta give him two thumbs up for Suzy Q!!! Good lad!

My 2 year old son goes crazy for banjo / fiddle music. And he can sing along loudly and poorly with “Will the Circle Be Unbroken?” and “The Lost Highway” (Hank Williams)

O-oh. You know what happens later!

Absolutely!

Best Dad thread ever. Good stuff.

My kid and I now exchange music. He got me to listen to Billy Eilishe, and I got him hooked on classical music and the blues. On vinyl…derisive snort.

1 Like

My daughter asked to go to see Guns N’ Roses when they played at Taoyuan for her 8th birthday present. We got tickets right in front of Slash. I had to carry her for the whole concert, but it was great. She started copying other people and doing devil horns with her hands, which was cute.

Oh, I just remembered. I bumped into cfimages there.

1 Like

Awesome!

This thread is like one big @jdsmith update thread.

First it was Nirvana, Pink Floyd…etc
Now it’s classical and blues.

1 Like