Having trouble with Ezfly and Eztravel...help please

Finding a good deal on airfare is a bit of a gamble.

This is what I want:
08/02-08/17 Direct flight to SFO and a direct return flight.

Taiwan’s internet travel sites ,Ezfly & Eztravel, show the cost to fly United as:
25,000 + 11,000 (Tax) = 36,000 x2 = 72,000NT for two people

Ezfly and Eztravel both show flights available for those dates. However, when advancing to the booking page, after selecting the flight, it shows no seats on United from July through August to SFO. For the return flight, there are seats. If I search for the same flight numbers on United’s website, I can see that the planes are empty. There are plenty of seats left. The price on United’s website is about 20,000 NT more than booking through Ezfly or Eztravel.

I have been told you can call United in Taiwan and have them “open” seats for you. Hold them without paying. Then call Ezfly or Eztravel and tell them you have seats and want them at the price listed on their site.
I tried this and United’s representatives don’t know what I’m talking about. My Taiwanese sources tell me that this can be done and they do it all the time.

My questions are…

1. Can it be done? If yes, then how?
  2. They say in Chinese it is to “open” a seat or “open” a ticket. What would the English equivalent be? (Perhaps I’m using the wrong words when speaking to them)
  3. Am I looking too early?

That’s great airfare for a direct flight in August.

Exactly! It is an amazing airfare…but, that doesn’t help me get it :frowning:
Any advice for the questions above?

[quote]Exactly! It is an amazing airfare…but, that doesn’t help me get it :frowning:
Any advice for the questions above?[/quote]

You could try going to their offices and dealing with them in person… I did this about 5 years ago when I couldn’t get ezfly’s website to book the displayed flight I wanted. I think Eztravel has a branch on Dunhua just north of Zhongxiao NW corner, and Ezfly is (or used to be) at Bade and Dunhua in the office tower on the SE corner.

Exactly! It is an amazing airfare…but, that doesn’t help me get it :frowning:
Any advice for the questions above?[/quote]

Sorry I didn’t get the question the first time I read. Tiger’s advise is solid. They also have a branch at Main Station.

Thanks you guys. I will give it a shot.

I called UA again…
They are very nice and helpful, but they couldnt really do anything for me.
They explained that all the “discounted” classes have been sold out. The reason why UA’s site is showing all the seats available is probably because people have not selected their seat assignments yet.
The only economy class available now is “H” class [priced at 68,070NT per person], which is a ticket good for 1 year. I guess H class is not included in the discount class group. Only L, Q, W and S classes are sold to discount agencies like EZtravel and EZfly.

Taiwanese airline booking websites suck. They show ALL seats, not just available seats. You try to book; it says “full”. It gives no hint as to when there may be open seats.

Best to talk to a human being.

[quote=“Quarters”]
They explained that all the “discounted” classes have been sold out. [/quote]

Already?

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Quarters”]

Already?[/quote]

Yeah, that was my response too. Already!?!?! Jeesh :noway:
Anyways…I’m going for a flight with one stopover in Japan. Will be a lot less.
Delta $40,500 per ticket, round trip. I just don’t want to risk running into zero availability in the next couple months.
Better safe than sorry I guess.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Quarters”]
Already?[/quote]
Well, plus the fact that other airlines don’t have their summer fares posted yet (or didn’t when I was shopping a month ago). Buying tickets in advance here always seems to be a huge clusterf*ck.

Yep, my agent told me to book my August trip right after New Year, not before. They do not have all the fares yet.

I have spent everyday for the past 2 weeks recording the fares for all airlines servicing the Taipei-SFO route. I can tell you that they have indeed posted their summer fares. Using a matrix software, you can see what travel agents see and know exactly how many seats are left on each airline, which class codes are available or sold out and what the pricing trend has been. For the past two months prices have been continuously rising and seat availability running out for July and August. I have been told by various travel agents and airlines that this is the direct result of early shoppers, that the trend in the Asia market is to buy early and not wait for last minute deals. Because seats are selling early, they don’t need to offer discounted rates…the demand is high enough already and the current rates are as good as they will get. However, one could luck out at the very last minute with “30 day to 2 week before departure” sales for left over seats and cancelations. That’s too much of a gamble for me. Bummer.

I opted for United (operated by ANA) Taipei-Tokyo-San Jose, CA route. Going to San Jose saved me about $4000 NT. Total cost: 42,000 NT per person.
It really isn’t that bad. Not the highest I’ve paid and not the lowest…somewhere in the middle.

My biggest concern now is about the 787 grounding.
My flight was scheduled to fly on the 787 for the trans-pacific leg of the trip. ANA sent an email apologizing and saying that they are still grounding all 787 planes until they can resolve the battery issue.
I may end up flying on a 767-300ER 2nd version. Which isn’t bad. They have the 2-3-2 seat configuration, which is great when traveling with a partner. Much more comfortable than the 3 seat configuration.
If they do lift the grounding and clear the 787 for use again, I’m afraid my nerves will be shot during the flight. I am a nervous flyer.

[quote=“Quarters”]My biggest concern now is about the 787 grounding.
My flight was scheduled to fly on the 787 for the trans-pacific leg of the trip. ANA sent an email apologizing and saying that they are still grounding all 787 planes until they can resolve the battery issue.
I may end up flying on a 767-300ER 2nd version. Which isn’t bad. They have the 2-3-2 seat configuration, which is great when traveling with a partner. Much more comfortable than the 3 seat configuration.
If they do lift the grounding and clear the 787 for use again, I’m afraid my nerves will be shot during the flight. I am a nervous flyer.[/quote]
Those ticket prices are not too bad. It’d probably about as good as you can get, really.

The good thing about flying on ANA is they have more generous luggage allowances than United does, which really helps if you want to transport a lot of stuff.

I’m looking at flights on Kayak, and their prices seem pretty good - and certainly a lot easier for someone who can’t particularly read Chinese. Before I buy, is there anything I should worry about? I keep asking myself why I wasn’t using Kayak before - did I have a good reason for avoiding it that I’m forgetting?

Oh, and for China Eastern Air, going through Shanghai: once again, is this something I should worry about? As in, I’ll suddenly face massive extra charges for a visa?

I only know about eztravel before, how’s ezfly? are there anymore others? can you pay ezfly with atm card? because they say don’t use credit card online in Taiwan

[quote=“Quarters”][quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Quarters”]

Already?[/quote]

Yeah, that was my response too. Already!?!?! Jeesh :noway:
Anyways…I’m going for a flight with one stopover in Japan. Will be a lot less.
Delta $40,500 per ticket, round trip. I just don’t want to risk running into zero availability in the next couple months.
Better safe than sorry I guess.[/quote]

They are sold out because of the way travel agents in Taiwan control the market. They block book seats for the hot seasons and then drip feed them into the market at a high price or as part of their package deals.