HBO Go - streaming service now in Taiwan

Has anyone tried this yet? It’s 149$ a month but I think you can get a discount if you subscribe to TBC. There’s a 7 day free trial now.

2 Likes

149 seems pretty decent with the number of high quality shows they produce.

1 Like

Subscribed.
Watching it now.
Totally worth the price!
Loving it.

2 Likes

Thanks didn’t know it’s finally here. Looks like I can’t use an European account for login?

So how does this version of HBO GO compare to HBO Max? Any idea?

From what I can tell so far, the content is the same.

Go has a 7 day free trial. Give it a look.

Where is this? Didn’t see it on Play except for a US only version.

After you set up an account, you can login on any device that has internet. I’m streaming to my TV from laptop.

1 Like

Thanks! Weird, says it’s incompatible with my Android phone for some reason

I think it requires at least Android 6. Other than that…not sure.
Works fine on mine. Huawei P20 Pro with Android 9.

Just looked, I have 7.1.1. Weird

Is your Google play account “in” TW?

1 Like

Yup.

Yeah, that might be the issue

Here’s their site:

https://hboasia.com/HBO/en-tw/subscribe

Thanks very much! Dealing with fixing my Google account for it is more than I want to watch HBO though, for now at least.

Is this supposed to be in the app store for an Apple TV? I can’t find it there, but maybe I’m looking in the wrong place. Plus I’m never sure which country my account thinks I’m in - my own stuff is connected to Canada, but my wife’s account is connected to Taiwan. I think I’ve now logged in to the Taiwan store with my wife’s account (prices are now in NT anyway).

Looks like it’s only available for iPhone or iPad. As far as I can see, only HBO MAX is available in the app store for Apple TV.

So the way to go (so far anyway) for Apple ecosystem users would be to download the app to phone or iPad, then AirPlay it to your Apple TV.

I have an old iPhone that’s still downloading the iOS 12.4.7 patch released today, so will check when that’s finished. Although the app seems to be available for iPhone, I don’t see it in the app store yet. Maybe it will show up once the update is finished.

Anyway, pretty nice deal. HBO MAX is available on my Apple TV, but it’s US14.99/month. This HBO GO Asia version is about 1/3 that price. If this GO is the same as MAX, then it’s pretty much a no-brainer.

For some reason (ahem) my youtube feed has been giving me lots of videos about The Sopranos this past week. It’s been a success for somebody since I’m thinking it’s time to rewatch all seasons.

Will be watching the iPhone app store the next few days to see if the app shows up.

2 Likes

Great news! I was just searching for “Barry” with Bill Hader after watching a trailer on YouTube.

Running Android 8.0.0
Using Google Play linked to my TW credit card and phone number.

1 Like

Hmm. Is your iOS App Store set to Taiwan, or the United States? Mine is with Canada, and there’s no HBO Go app there (yet). I can get it on my computer.

It also looks like I’d be able to watch the new service on my computer, and stream to the Apple TV through AirPlay, but the computer’s in a different room and I’m not sure how annoying that’d be, or if there’s a magical control on my iPhone that would help out.

But first I’d better finish watching Fleabag so I can cancel the Amazon Prime I’ve been meaning to get rid of for a couple of months.

It looks like if you go here you can check the catalog and see how it compares to HBO Max. It doesn’t seem to have My Brilliant Friend, which I think is an HBO series in some parts of the world; the limited number of other TV series (Leftovers, Wire, Sopranos, Chernobyl) I’ve looked for all seem to be there. The movie selection’s not very good, but I don’t know how that compares to HBO Max.

1 Like