HDTV choices

[quote=“Icon”]Yep, I am aiming for at least 120hz. I saw a Panasonic TV yesterday advertising itself as 600hz, though. :smiley:

The real dinamic ratio is a mystery to me, it is very difficult to have a true disclosure.

Size I increased from 32 to 37, maybe 42.[/quote]

I think it’s impossible to see any difference above 120Hz, unless you have compound eyes :smiley:
I noticed manufacturers tend to hide the static contrast ratio as it is easier to trick consumers with amazing 6-figures dynamic contrast ratio specs, so you might have to search a little bit to find the real specs. If you can find a TV with a 4000:1 or 5000:1 static contrast ratio it will be already very good quality. Actually I even disabled the dynamic contrast ratio option on my TV as it can keep adjusting the contrast during a dark scene and create some kind of contrast oscillation that I find extremely annoying.

OK, is 60HZ really so bad? These Tvs seem really cheap to me. And as they say in Spanish, for the kind of saint -which in this case, is local TV or MOD- to ring the bell once is enough -it is not going to be the prime/most used TV, I have the old CRT for that:

Panasonic THL32X50W

特賣期間:2012-04-27 ~ 2012-05-03
特賣價格:NT: 16,888

型號: THL32X50W
SKU: 2071968
顏色: 黑色
尺寸(cm): 77.0(寬) 52.0(高) 23.0(深)
產地: 台灣
產品規格:
IPS LED 面板
178度廣視野角
ECO NAVI
SD卡/USB插槽支援多種格式
WiFi Ready機能
音量出力10W*2
定時關機功能
PC連結機能
DLNA 內部網路連結

OR:

Samsung UA32EH4000MX

特賣價格:NT: 17,900

型號: UA32EH4000MX
SKU: 2072076
顏色: 黑色
尺寸(cm): 73.4(寬) 49.4(高) 19.2(深)
產地: 南韓
產品規格:
全機14mm極窄邊框
HD解析度(1366*768)
60Hz CMR動態清晰比
2組 HDMI
USB 2.0影片功能
數位雜訊過濾功能
極致廣色域強化
HyperReal影像處理器
極致杜比音效系統
32型 LED TV

OR:

Sony KDL40CX520

特賣價格:NT: 22,900

型號: KDL40CX520
SKU: 2068295
顏色: 黑
尺寸(cm): 99.2(寬) 63.5(高) 25.0(深)
產地: 馬來西亞
產品規格:
1080p Full HD 畫質
自然原色科技
電影播放模式
網路影片平台
快速啟動
音訊回傳通道
四組 HDMI
USB 2 組連接埠
進階影音同步操控功能
全數位擴大技術
隱藏式揚聲器
支援無線網卡功能
支援SKYPE
網頁瀏覽功能

The purpose of this TV is MOD and also to plug in to the computer for viewing recorded material, plus a Blue Ray somewhere down the line.

I have the same questions.

I saw a Sony Bravia tv that’s reasonably priced at less than 15k. :bravo:
books.com.tw/products/N010244479?loc=003_006

This is the same price for pchome and Carrefour.

It has good specs (for me) and Sony is a really good brand :thumbsup: . BUT, it was released a year ago (Jan 2011) :ponder: and has already been discontinued in some countries. :ohreally: Is it still worth buying? :ponder:

[quote=“bookworm”]I have the same questions.

It has good specs (for me) and Sony is a really good brand :thumbsup: . BUT, it was released a year ago (Jan 2011) :ponder: and has already been discontinued in some countries. :ohreally: Is it still worth buying? :ponder:[/quote]

I’d say yes if you are not picky for the last ‘technology’ and features. (which is marketing you partly pay for)
This TV was most likely sold 25-30 K when it came out.
Local brands will offer cheaper price for a 32 inch thus a Sony for 15K is not a bad deal. It has all the whistles of FB, Youtube integration it seems :thumbsup:

[quote]Pros: Excellent contrast and very deep blacks: 3364:1 and 0.06 cd/m²- Accurate colours: average deltaE of 1.5- Matte finish doesn’t suffer from reflections- No clouding on the version we tested- Low energy consumption: 94 W

Cons: No motion interpolation- Viewing angles too narrow- Media player doesn’t support enough video formats- Panel responsiveness below average

The Sony Bravia CX520 is an entry-level TV with great picture quality and no problems with clouding. All that’s missing is support for 3D and motion interpolation.[/quote]

If one day…

HD & 3D never looked so awesome on this beauty - but 80K is a long way to go…

I am very happy with the previous model I bought for less than half.
HD box & combined with a 1080 res. Apple 3 TV it surely beats anything else in that price range.

[quote=“ceevee369”][quote=“bookworm”]I have the same questions.

It has good specs (for me) and Sony is a really good brand :thumbsup: . BUT, it was released a year ago (Jan 2011) :ponder: and has already been discontinued in some countries. :ohreally: Is it still worth buying? :ponder:[/quote]

I’d say yes if you are not picky for the last ‘technology’ and features. (which is marketing you partly pay for)
Local brands will offer cheaper price for a 32 inch thus a Sony for 15K is not a bad deal. It has all the whistles of FB, Youtube integration it seems :thumbsup:[/quote]

Several sites quote it as 50hz only. :astonished: Too sincere? Love the prize and features, though.

I dont really see the difference between this and higher? or am I mistaken?

As for motion interpolation, I don’t think my previous tvs had that so it shouldnt be a loss eh? :smiley:

DP

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“ceevee369”][quote=“bookworm”]I have the same questions.

Local brands will offer cheaper price for a 32 inch thus a Sony for 15K is not a bad deal. It has all the whistles of FB, Youtube integration it seems :thumbsup:[/quote]

Several sites quote it as 50hz only. :astonished: Too sincere? Love the prize and features, though.[/quote]

Nah, 50 or 60 Hz doesn’t make any difference. That is equal to the voltage / frequency here and has given solid images on every TV since euh… Let’s say the 70’s
Some TV’s which have 120 / 240 Hz play less fluid - especially when watching ball sports on TV.
Did you ever noticed EG a tennisbal drawing a white line in a match ? Issues wit older high frequency TV’s.
Again, you definitely can’t go wrong on a purchase like that.
One minor thing: this LCD screen might produce more heat. Noticeable in winter as a + :thumbsup: [quote=“bookworm”][quote=“Icon”][quote=“ceevee369”]Several sites quote it as 50hz only. :astonished: Too sincere? Love the prize and features, though.[/quote][/quote]

I don’t really see the difference between this and higher? or am I mistaken?

As for motion interpolation, I don’t think my previous tvs had that so it shouldnt be a loss eh? :smiley:[/quote]

Roger that. Got it. :thumbsup:

What about this TV? We are moving to Taipei in a month, and I plan on getting this TV if I can find it at this price.

http://www.tkec.com.tw/pt.aspx?pid=116790

[quote=“Big_Fan”]What about this TV? We are moving to Taipei in a month, and I plan on getting this TV if I can find it at this price.

http://www.tkec.com.tw/pt.aspx?pid=116790[/quote]

Looks kosher -120hz, HDMI, etc. But I’d rather buy Vizio at Costco: cheaper, better service, more reliable quality. If there is any problem, they run fast to fix it. TKEC -better known as the yelow store- is evil in that sense.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“Big_Fan”]What about this TV? We are moving to Taipei in a month, and I plan on getting this TV if I can find it at this price.

Looks kosher -120hz, HDMI, etc. But I’d rather buy Vizio at Costco: cheaper, better service, more reliable quality. If there is any problem, they run fast to fix it. TKEC -better known as the yelow store- is evil in that sense.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads-up. I like to have my ducks in a row. We are landing on the 27th of July. Our apartment is supposed to have a TV in it, but my guess it that it will be small and get moved to the bedroom or our son’s room.

…anxious to get over there - and nervous about it too. At least we will be used to heat. 100+ degrees every day here…we are from the south originally, so we are used to humidity.

[quote=“Big_Fan”][quote=“Icon”][quote=“Big_Fan”]What about this TV? We are moving to Taipei in a month, and I plan on getting this TV if I can find it at this price.

Looks kosher -120hz, HDMI, etc. But I’d rather buy Vizio at Costco: cheaper, better service, more reliable quality. If there is any problem, they run fast to fix it. TKEC -better known as the yelow store- is evil in that sense.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads-up. I like to have my ducks in a row. We are landing on the 27th of July. Our apartment is supposed to have a TV in it, but my guess it that it will be small and get moved to the bedroom or our son’s room.

…anxious to get over there - and nervous about it too. At least we will be used to heat. 100+ degrees every day here…we are from the south originally, so we are used to humidity.[/quote]

Nothing a good air conditioner won’t fix… :laughing: Stay indoors and watch a lot of TV, I say. TV is a life saver in crappy weather, which can be that burning sunshine -like we have today-, awful storms, cold and drizzle, etc… However, when the weather is good, it is great, and if you guys go South, TV will become an annoyance with so many nice places to go -beaches, mountains, streams, butterfly valleys… Still a good TV is a fine companion. Add a good sofa -or sofa covers, in your case as the place is furnished- and the best AC you can afford, and you’ll be peachy. Confy as a snail in its shell.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“Big_Fan”][quote=“Icon”][quote=“Big_Fan”]What about this TV? We are moving to Taipei in a month, and I plan on getting this TV if I can find it at this price.

…anxious to get over there - and nervous about it too. At least we will be used to heat. 100+ degrees every day here…we are from the south originally, so we are used to humidity.[/quote]

Nothing a good air conditioner won’t fix… :laughing: Stay indoors and watch a lot of TV, I say. TV is a life saver in crappy weather, which can be that burning sunshine -like we have today-, awful storms, cold and drizzle, etc… However, when the weather is good, it is great, and if you guys go South, TV will become an annoyance with so many nice places to go -beaches, mountains, streams, butterfly valleys… Still a good TV is a fine companion. Add a good sofa -or sofa covers, in your case as the place is furnished- and the best AC you can afford, and you’ll be peachy. Confy as a snail in its shell.[/quote]

Heheh… thanks.

I wasn’t too clear when I posted. We are from the Southeastern USA - where it is hot and humid, but rains less than Taiwan. We live in the midwest right now, where it is 100+ every day in this stinking heat wave. We are moving to Taipei City - Nangang District to be exact. Our employer is providing the apartment… hopefully it will have a good air conditioner. I doubt we will spend a whole lot of time at home for a while, as we want to venture out and explore, but it will be nice having a decent TV…I have to figure out how to get my American Football (college) games… I am leaning toward putting a sling box at my mother-in-law’s house… I think that will work for us.

Any ideas what cable carrier is in Nangang? (er…Nan Kang?)

Oh, got it.

Cable is divided in sectors, they offer more or less the same … stuff, but you do not really have much of a choice, the companies have divided the zones among themselves, so where you live that’s what you get.

S, yes, please, arrange Apple TV, slingbox and otehr alternatives to watch streamlined stuff -VPN might be necessary. Check the relevant threads on those issues, it has been discussed before. Hence, a good TV is necessary. :soapbox: How are you gonna keep up with the news back home if you don’t have a good TV? :smiley:

That said, it is important to keep up with local news -especially during typhoons/quakes/etc., and you may also want to learn/practice your Chinese. And yes, you may not want to stay indoors most of the time, but ocassionally it may simply be better to stay home.

So, welcome to the Island. Hope you have a good stay. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Icon”]Oh, got it.

Cable is divided in sectors, they offer more or less the same … stuff, but you do not really have much of a choice, the companies have divided the zones among themselves, so where you live that’s what you get.

S, yes, please, arrange Apple TV, slingbox and otehr alternatives to watch streamlined stuff -VPN might be necessary. Check the relevant threads on those issues, it has been discussed before. Hence, a good TV is necessary. :soapbox: How are you gonna keep up with the news back home if you don’t have a good TV? :smiley:

That said, it is important to keep up with local news -especially during typhoons/quakes/etc., and you may also want to learn/practice your Chinese. And yes, you may not want to stay indoors most of the time, but ocassionally it may simply be better to stay home.

So, welcome to the Island. Hope you have a good stay. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome! There will be challenges, I am sure. I am familiar with VPN’s, though I don’t think that will be a problem with sling, it will be with Hulu/Netflix (which we have now). I don’t anticipate a lot of trouble with keeping up to date on serials - I am torrent friendly, and most shows are online within a day or two of their airing.

We have had no social life for the past…forever. To be honest, we would have to gain a few friends to qualify as having no social life (right now it is negative)… so isolation is no big deal. I actually anticipate the expat community to be an improvement over the socialization we are used to.

I know, I am taking this thread off topic. Sorry folks!

Thanks again for the help and friendly dialogue.

Found this one:
shopping.udn.com/mall/cus/cat/Cc … 1846&sid=8

[quote]商品名稱: Panasonic國際牌 42吋高質感LED液晶電視 TH-L42E5W
商品簡介: FHD 1920x1080
180Hz(相當)流暢清晰影像
SMART Phone/Pad連結操作
內置SD卡/USB多媒體(靜、動態讀取)
[/quote]

180hz?! :astonished: But it is Panasonic and it’s got Internet connection, for 28K.

Sony’s got two Smart TV models, asking 15K for 50hz and 25K for 120hz.

Which one is better? Who knows?