Health dangers of toilet paper as napkins in restaurants

I often find toilet rolls conveniently located everywhere but the toilet. You have to take a box of tissues with you if you want to visit the small room with no windows.

Really puts me off eating in a restaurant and worse in a private home to have the roll hanging there next to the dining table and people happily rolling some off.

A European friend tells me its not a problem and they are used in a similar way there. Is this true?

I just can’t get around to using the roll for both ends of the gastrointestinal tract.

bollocks :s ever been to my place? Yes, you have. So where is my ‘toilet paper’ just behind the pot and it’s a jumbo one. So, here no toilet paper at the table.

And in Belgium, never saw it the way you discribe. But then, in public places (restrooms) and others there is a lady sitting there to keep it clean and she might have the paper, you need to ask her … and it can cost uou some money to use the loooo :laughing: and they don’t help you keeping steady. :wink:

Okay, I’m going to name my source. Its European/ Danish Mr He. Whats the story Mr He, feeding me bullshit again? :doh:

Have you got one of these steadying ladies available.

Mr. He, :unamused: But Denmark is out in the sticks, no wonder … they still go somewhere on an outhouse in the backyard :laughing: using newspaper as you know what for … :wink:

Ironman, rolls of toilet paper? Maybe in Yang Mei. In Taibei, it’s plastic packages of kleenex that are used on restaurant tables, washrooms, at home, etc.

I only see toilet paper rolls in commercial building washrooms. Never ever on a restaurant table.

You need to get out more. Come down south to Hickville. Actually, if they are so common in Chung Li, Yang Mei then this must be a common thing going on all over country Taiwan.

I’m actually glad to hear that you have not seen this in Taibei. Maybe it will be phased out. Even in locals homes. I’ve seen it more than once and more than enough.

Hey, be happy. Before the SARS outbreak, it was rare to find toilet paper (or soap) in public restrooms. The stituation is 10X better than it used to be. It’s uncommon for me to go out and be paperless.

Come to think of it, it’s more common to have to ask for napkins in the restaurant proper, while the restroom is usually stocked. How’s that for a turn of the bog roll? :sunglasses:

I remember the days when in NZ they had these little tissue boxes inside these metal things on the wall. The metal things had these tiny holes in them to get the tissues out of and when one box ran out, if you were lucky, you had to rip out the box thru the tiny holes to get at the new box. Quite a mission if you were in a hurry.
The worst thing about those dam tissues tho, were they were made out of brown, crinkly, shiny paper that was about a slippery as teflon. Like Clint Eastwood: rough, tough and took shit from no one.

[quote=“truant”]I remember the days when in NZ they had these little tissue boxes inside these metal things on the wall. The metal things had these tiny holes in them to get the tissues out of and when one box ran out, if you were lucky, you had to rip out the box through the tiny holes to get at the new box. Quite a mission if you were in a hurry.
The worst thing about those dam tissues tho, were they were made out of brown, crinkly, shiny paper that was about a slippery as teflon. Like Clint Eastwood: rough, tough and took shit from no one.[/quote]

You kiwi bastards exported them to Australia. Horrible. I’d rather snap a big one off behind a gum tree and use gum leaves or bark than those things.

maybe we need to merge this thread to the dog poo lady one and clean up that mess. I am sure I can smell it.

Everyone should carry his/her own package of personal anti-bacterial wet wipes. Sold in the convenience store for NT$15–they should sell them in restroom stalls as well. You get a very clean wipe, and those who choose not to wash their hands after a dump at least have had some exposure to an anti-bacterial wet wipe.

I never leave home without em :slight_smile: .

It’s actually not very safe to use toilet paper to wipe any part of your body other than your butt. TP in the EU or US, and I assume everywhere else, is allowed to have a certain amount of bacteria, whereas facial tissue and kitchen roll is supposed to be near sterile. When the packaging on a roll of TP is opened and the TP is exposed to moisture, the bacteria starts to grow. 99.9% of such bacteria is harmless, but you still wouldn’t want to wipe your mouth with it. Some people are sensitive enough that they’ll get a cold or make a cold worse if they blow their noses with TP. Actually, it may be good that TP is allowed to have a higher amount of bacteria as it may help the paper break down after it’s flushed.

I thought I was just suffering a cultural problem. Bloody good to know there are facts to back up getting rid of it.

Where do you get your facts Jive Turkey?

I thought I was just suffering a cultural problem. Bloody good to know there are facts to back up getting rid of it.

Where do you get your facts Jive Turkey?[/quote]
A few months ago, the Hong Kong Consumer Council and the Hygiene Department gave warnings to a few dapaidangs that had put TP out on the tables. It was in the papers here. I seem to remember reading something about this in the west, too.

The ChoDoFu stand I regular has one. I agree, I would rsther use my tissues.

Forget about that. What about bathroom doors, especially in restaurants where the inside of the door needs to be pulled open. In most places back home, the inside is pushed open so that if someone didn’t wash their hands (or even if they did), you wouldn’t have to use your hand to make contact with the door to open it. Here, you have no choice but to do so. And after watching some of the women stick their hands under the water and then just shake them, I shudder to think of what’s crawling on that door handle.

[quote=“Ironman”]I often find toilet rolls conveniently located everywhere but the toilet. You have to take a box of tissues with you if you want to visit the small room with no windows.

Really puts me off eating in a restaurant and worse in a private home to have the roll hanging there next to the dining table and people happily rolling some off.

A European friend tells me its not a problem and they are used in a similar way there. Is this true?

I just can’t get around to using the roll for both ends of the gastrointestinal tract.[/quote]

Better than going to the bathroom and finding there’s only one sheet left before you get this…

I always like getting those fortune cookies in the local restaraunts before the SARS epidemic.