Health Insurance for Self Employed

The NHI website makes no sense whatsoever on the issue of coverage for self-employed foreigners in Taiwan.

I have an investor ARC approved by MOEA and a representative office in Taichung. I have now been here for the four months required to register but I’m not really sure how, where and all the rest. Is anyone else in my position? And given that my income varies according to how much I pay myself in any given month, how on earth do I prove what I’m earning to calculate insurance premiums?

I guess you’ll need to see yourself as an employee of your company and pay a monthly salary to yourself, deduct taxes, health insurancen and pay to the proper bureaus … at the end of the book year you can deduct all the salaries paid from your pre-tax profit/income and file this with the tax office … than file your personal taxes on the salary that you paid yourself … :wink:

I always had the impression that in Taiwan nothing as a self-employed status excists, you always are an employee of your company …

F* that. I already spend a month out of every year doing UK IR, UK VAT, Corporation Tax, company accounts, Taiwan accounts and buggered if I’m adding to that. Then again, can I set my monthly salary at NT$5,000/month

Various sections from the NHI website:

1. Foreigners who are self-employed can enroll in the NHI after residing in Taiwan for at least 4 months under their own business.

If this person is an employee of the foreign company, the Certificate of Employment approved and issued by the Investment Review Board of the Ministry of Economic Affairs, it is required to enroll such a person as an employee of a company. Otherwise, the person should enroll in as an employer. Dependents who have resided in Taiwan for at least four months may apply for coverage.

(I don’t have a certificate of employment).

I’ll take a trip to the Taichung NHI office tomorrow with documents in hand and see what happens.

[quote=“belgian pie”]I guess you’ll need to see yourself as an employee of your company and pay a monthly salary to yourself, deduct taxes, health insurancen and pay to the proper bureaus … at the end of the book year you can deduct all the salaries paid from your pre-tax profit/income and file this with the tax office … than file your personal taxes on the salary that you paid yourself … :wink:

I always had the impression that in Taiwan nothing as a self-employed status excists, you always are an employee of your company …[/quote]