Healthy Breakfast Ideas (in Taiwan)

One egg on toast
Diced backed potato from the night before with some red and green bell peppers diced in.
A slice of Costco style Canadian bacon
A glass of V8
I’m good for hours.

works for me. And my pot belly :smiley:

I bought a yoghurt maker for 1000nt at a local health food store including a box of starter cultures. I then buy a bottle of organic milk and we’ve got enough yoghurt for a week. Buy fresh berries at the market or frozen ones at Costco in the winter.

We also eat French toast made with whole wheat bread and the Costco instant oatmeal.

Omlete and pancakes are pretty easy to make too.

Try granola with applejuice. Seriously.[/quote]
Will do on my next shopping adventure. [color=blue]I was having “trouble with gas” and a friend told me it might because because I’m (slightly) lactose intolerant.[/color] Cutting out the milk totally fixed it. I’m sure I get enough calcium from cheese burgers or something.[/quote]

I was visiting an Australian last week who definitely had gas trouble after dairy and deposited the gaseous results in my car each day. Soy is the go and lots of fruit for breakfast. Mango (how do you do the plural?) mangoes are still fantastic but must be getting to the end of the season. Costco still has good Californian grapes.

Try 3 or 4 different fruits all diced and blended with soy and cereal in a huge bowl. I look forward to breakfast, best meal of the day.

[quote=“Enigma”]One egg on toast
Diced backed potato from the night before with some red and green bell peppers diced in.
A slice of Costco style Canadian bacon
A glass of V8
I’m good for hours.[/quote]
OK!. Come on. Throw the skillet on the so called cooker. You got some eggs and it’s time to break 'em. Drop a couple slices of the"larger than me" style bread in the cooker, (or break down and put the toast in the oven, and flip some of the hot oil over the egg yolk." Now listen up here, I’m trying to teach the newbies. You got some hot oil in the pan and a couple eggs that MAYBE - JUST MAYBE - aint cracked and mixed. Flip some of the cooking oil over them and when you think their cooked, switch the cooker off and stop the shite. Ok! Ya got 2 pieces of browned toast from the oven and you got 2 eggs that have a somewhat runny yolk. Put 'em together - eggs on the toast. Good stuff. Now, from the night before, (don’t you wish you had read this yesterday?) Grap a spud from the fridge that is now baked and cold from the fridge. Dice in small 1/4 inch piece. In my fridge, I also have some green and red sweet peppers which I pull out and dice with the spuds into a pool of butter on medium high heat. So now, I am cooking some really nice green and red pepppers along with some nice baked potatoes dices from the steak and potatoes that we had from last night… Now, a large dollop of garlic, some salt and a healthy sprink of the pepper.
Now, Mix the eggs, and all other ingredients, - taste- add flavor to make it a magic experience, call me so I can share and enjoy.
In all seriosness, This is just a hop skip and a jump from home… If you have the basic stuff from home, you will find EVERYTHING that you need to cook ANYTHING you want, here in Taiwan. I have heard all the arguments and excuses, but trust me, look around, aske questions and directions. You will find everything that you want
Enigma

Try granola with applejuice. Seriously.[/quote]
Will do on my next shopping adventure. I was having “trouble with gas” and a friend told me it might because because I’m (slightly) lactose intolerant. Cutting out the milk totally fixed it. I’m sure I get enough calcium from cheese burgers or something.[/quote]

Alternatively, try OJ with granola. Apple juice can be too sweet.

Rice ball with a nice cup of cold soy milk or rice milk =)

Fresh oats - turn it into oatmeal. I eat it with a drizzle of maple syrup and a smidgen of butter.

Served with fresh fruit on the side
A slice of toast
and a glass of OJ or cranberry juice

I get my oats from a little open market store front just down the street. The old lady there sells them from a big barrel type bin. Cheap too and just as good as Quaker style oats.

Taiwanderer’s omelette:

In a non-stick pan,fry up(in a smidgen of oil) half a finely diced onion along with 3/4 of that amount of bell peppers of any colour until they’re lightly browned.Set aside.
Beat 3 eggs along with a few drops of milk & half a teaspoon of baking powder(to make the egg light & fluffy).

Now add a knob of butter to the pan after turning on the grill part of your oven.The butter in the pan should change colour ever-so-slightly.Pour in your beaten egg mixture but DON’T distribute it right to the edges of the pan because the thinner part will dry out in your oven.
Cook the egg until you think it’s taken on a nice golden brown colour on the bottom,but DON’T stir the egg mixture.You could gingerly stick a spoon into the mixture & open it up just enough to allow some of the egg to seep into the opened part to cook further.

Now your grill should be hot enough,so without further dallying,spoon the onion & bell pepper mixture evenly over the semi-cooked omelette.Sprinkle with grated cheese of your choice,preferably not a bland cheese & certainly not processed crap.

Stick the pan under the grill & cook until it’s brown enough for you.Use an egglifter(spatula) to fold your masterpiece in half,& slide onto your plate!

You could add any number of vegetable ingredients to your basic mixture(mushrooms or whatever).If you fancy a bit of meat,fry up some bacon beforehand,or dice some ham & add it to the mix.If you can get your hands on some fresh herbs…magic!