Heavyweight boxing: Andy Ruiz upsets Anthony Joshua in NYC

Yeah, UFC has bad decisions due to poor judging, but it doesn’t have corrupt decisions. Organization wise boxing is a joke. Golden Boy asking people to pay 100 USD for Canelo GGG 1, and then rewarding them with a blatantly corrupt decision.

1 Like

Sad as I like De la hoya as a fighter. I though maybe he would actually be a good promoter. But they all suck these days. Just give us the fights fans want to see!

1 Like

You didn’t have any reasoning up until this point you just made a statement with no explanation. My post was about Fury’s physical and mental condition. As for UFC I never even mentioned but as you did well it’s popularity is plummeting whereas boxing is having a heavyweight bonananza. However , yes as a casual fan you might of thought this was being billed as a serious fight it wasn’t and no one was forced to watch it. Don’t beat up on yourself about German boxing though you’ll get a “German” one back one day.

Finish the fight , GGG got beaten easily in number 2. He had his chance stop whining.

I don’t think UFC is plummeting in popularity, they had their biggest ppv of all time last year and signed a colossal deal with ESPN.I don’t consider Max Kellerman a casual fan and he expressed the exact same views but with heaps more vitriol.

Schwarz had fought three people with a wikipedia page. He was a can. Of course Fury has reasons for fighting cans, but what is good for Tyson Fury and Bob Arum , is not what is good for the fans.

Then what’s the point of having judging at all? It’s almost impossible to justify Adelaide Byrd’s scorecard outside of corruption. If the only way to win a fight is by knockout, then it’s no longer the art of hitting and not being hit, it’s a different sport.

You are correct about boxing in general, but you chose the wrong specific fight to base your criticism on. There were perfectly valid reasons for Fury to take this fight as his first on American soil and a warm-up to a bigger match up. His opponent was also dangerous. You can’t have the best fighting the best every time.

1 Like

He fought in Los Angeles against Wilder. It wasn’t his first fight in the US but rather first for ESPN and they wanted to guarantee a win.

His opponent wasn’t dangerous, hence even Max Kellerman complaining about the quality of the match making. He had fought three people with Wikipedia pages.

Oh yeah, my mistake.

2 Likes

It was his first fight in Vegas and that was a huge factor. Have you ever boxed ? You sound like a virgin in this sport ? Maybe you should ask questions rather than try to come off as an expert.

First fight in Vegas was the point yes.

1 Like

Heavy weight boxing has no guaranteed wins or why didn’t you bet your house on it, I doubt you even knew the fight happened before I posted it. AJ versus Ruiz was meant to be a guaranteed win too.

Jesus man. Can you possibly calm down. I thought the lineal heavyweight champion should be fighting someone at least vaguely competitive.

Deontay Wilder said of Schwarz “It wasnt much of an opponent, it was more a of punching bag”. Teddy Atlas said before the fight that Schwarz had 0 per cent chance. Max Kellerman went on a rant that the fight was happening. Do you consider any of those people to be “boxing virgins”?

Yes Fury had his reasons, but those are not the same as what is good for boxing as a spectator sport. I am a casual fan, you are right but I watch at least a fight a month. I think my criticism of this fight is valid, shared by people involved in boxing, and is an example of what has eroded boxing as a mainstream spectator sport in North America.

I watched the fight.

:rofl: you watched it?

Yes. Of course. How would I know Max Kellermans response otherwise

I loved the walkout, Fury’s head movement was insane, but Schwarz shouldnt have been in there with him.

Here’s my 2 cents. I understand the concept of warm up fights and possibly bring in an up and coming under dog to give him the experience he wouldn’t normally get at this point. Win win for both fighters.

But for the fans. We have been fucked around with BS fights and equality BS judges. This isn’t helping wining fans like me back. Like @OrangeOrganics said. Tyson fury is a lineal heavyweight champion. Fans don’t want this at all. It’s not a win or us.

1 Like

Yeah exactly, I understand why for promotional purposes and for Fury himself, a warm up fight against a can has benefit, but its not what fans want. In 2019, none of Wilder, Joshua or Fury had fights booked against each other.

Let wilder get ruiz belt, and then after have a rematch with fury, they can fight for all the belts. What Joshua does now not really matter that much after his loss. Well it will be eassier to make those fights after his loss…

1 Like