Heavyweight boxing: Andy Ruiz upsets Anthony Joshua in NYC

Fury is impressive, I’m glad he seems to be doing well mentally.

1 Like

He is lineal heavyweight champion. Schwarz is not even the best heavyweight in Germany. Boxing suffers from this stuff

I already told you why I think you just want to argue for the sake of it.

I haven’t been following. Why was this fight organized?

It was just a preparation fight for Fury against a pretty decent , dangerous opponent but not on Fury’s level. And a fight to debut Fury in Las Vegas. Organic food has not given me any reasons why this fight should not have happened ? And why boxing suffered from this fight ?
As for Schwarz
“While Schwarz doesn’t have any big-time wins to his credit, he has steadily moved up the boxing ladder, ranking in the top five in most organizations and top two in the WBO. Schwarz has won five of his past six fights by knockout”

1 Like

If I were to guess, this isn’t the fight the fans wanted. For me, this is one of the reasons I just can’t follow anymore. We all had to wait 10 years for Pacman vs Mayweather past their prime.

1 Like

It was a tune up fight for the Wilder rematch. It wasn’t billed as anything more than that. He will have one more then if Wilder beats Ortiz , then Wilder versus Fury again, and will be no excuses about an out tune Fury…No one is ducking anyone , when it comes to Fury and Wilder. They’re going to do it again for huge money and both at their best.

1 Like

I’ll take your word for it, I haven’t been following. The last fighter to lined up the best in their prime to fight was De La Hoya, he has blemishes on his record because of it. But to me, those blemishes is what makes him a champion. Not like Floyd picking his fights. He wouldn’t even make the playing field even against a japanese kickboxer 20-30lbs lighter lol

1 Like

I’m not a fan of Floyd as a person but certainly a fan of his skills. Although he is definitely not and never has been good for boxing. The McGregor freak fight was fun however.@andrew0409 so who are some of your favorite boxers ?

1 Like

There are some very interesting boxers these days outside the heavyweight division. Vasyl Lomachenko is the one all the experts like (who doesn’t), the pretty boy of modern boxing. Very fast, very unorthodox, very smart.

One I’ve got my eye on, a boxer who I think is even more interesting, is Japan’s Takuma Inoue. He’s only 23 and is still growing in weight, although he’s only 5’3". What I like about him is that he’s dedicated to body punches, liver shots, and body punch KO’s. He only has 17 pro fights under his belt. This kid may take boxing back to its bare knuckles roots, where body shots were the thing because punching a guy’s head can break your hand.

Very interesting approach that, imo, would move boxing away from a specialize headhunting sport and closer to MMA in that the “way” to score a KO can happen many more ways than slamming the other guy’s brain around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyn0jDt0ue0

2 Likes

Well, I’m pretty young. So the ones I’ve actually seen are Pacquiao and De la Hoya.

1 Like

Bare knuckle is still very popular in the UK and Ireland. It’s generally harder to knock someone out, but always lots of blood that’s why a lot of bare knuckle fights allow some limited wrapping due to the risk of HIV etc. Jabs tend to be more important as is head and foot movement. It’s easier to block with big gloves on, as even the casual observer can see with fighters like Mayweather. Bare knuckle fights can go on for a very long time too as they as you rightly point out they use much less power shots to the head. Eye damage can be more substantial with bare knuckle due to the knuckle going into the eye from a jab. Tyson’s Fury’s great Uncle Bartley Gorman was a “knuckle man” even a book about him. And yes they attack the ribs and liver ferociously.

1 Like

Yeah Pacquiao has almost supernatural hand speed. His life story is inspiring too.

And he throws a unreal amount of punches with that speed. I think he throws almost 2x more than the average boxer in a fight. Crazy. He’s just so nice and humble, it’s a pleasure seeing him embarrass cocky fighters that saw it as a weakness.

1 Like

What? MY reasoning is completely valid and is a popular criticism of the mess that modern boxing has become

Boxing suffers from stuff like this. We are used to the UFC model were the best fights the best. It’s a joke that the lineal heavyweight champ is fighting someone like Schwarz. We wanted Wilder Fury 2 this year or either fighting Joshua. As it turned out, Ruiz exposed Joshua but he should have fought one of the others before.

Bad decisions, corruption and people ducking fights is what killed boxing. Even Max Kellerman before the fight was complaining about it even happening

1 Like

Schwarz had fought local schlubs and was thrown in against the lineal champ. He was a tomato can.

Naoya Inoue .

I’m with you 100%. I prefer boxing over mma, but the UFC is more entertaining and a better production.

Right?

I love boxing but it’s not controversial to say that it has suffered in North America as a spectator sport because of promoters inability to put on the fights people want to see. The UFC is just a better model for the fans.

1 Like

Also in the UFC, the best fighter wins the decision. Always. Some were close but perfectly reasonable and understandable on why the score was given. Idk what’s going on with the judges in boxing. It’s completely irrational and erratic. And obviously fixed. It’s been completely tainted with the money from outside interests.