Help an old guy buy a computer! (no Apple products)

I hope this is the correct place for this!

I’m busy and getting old and my old knowledge of computer stuff seems no longer relevant and I’m struggling with what I need and what is a good deal so hopefully someone can help me!

What I need!

1. Easily edit 4K dashcam/phone short videos, especially HEVC format. Nothing fancy just trimming and merging for family and small youtube channel, right now using old i5 and MS video editor but it takes a long time and 4K video does not play smoothly.
  2. Play older games, doesn’t need to be the most up to date on all ultra settings. Most intensive maybe MS flight simulator or combat flight simulators from >4/5 years ago. Would like to smoothly play modern ARMA or Battlefield 2042 with good graphics settings.
  3. Have sound but don’t care so much as I’m nearly deaf in one ear and using headphones is also fine!
  4. Reasonable connectivity, want USB A as well as C for older devices and maybe raspberry Pi projects. Would like internet port.
  5. Nice screen, absolute minimum 1080P, prefer 2K
  6. Prefer external keyboard and mouse so laptop keyboard and trackpad not so important.
  7. Budget is around 30,000NT but could go higher if it means significant difference.

I don’t think there is anything else special I need to do. Do want windows machine (sorry MAC people), extremely reliable with good warranty, easy to buy, I don’t want to spend hours walking around computer area bargaining with people but do want a good deal! Considered buying from Amazon but after so much trouble returning shoes before I don’t think it’s worth small saving.

I have been looking at maybe even Lenovo as they seem to have good deals sometimes on their website but have no experience with them. I bought ASUS before and even now using a very old ASUS and it’s very reliable and they have a service centre in Taipei. I prefer not to buy HP or ACER.

This post is going very long, haha. I prefer a laptop as very, very occasionally I might want to bring it on a business trip with me but maybe this is a stupid idea as gaming laptops I looked at were very heavy. Will consider a desktop if much more power for same cost but am happy with laptop built in screen and not having to buy a separate one. Also happy to build myself from parts if necessary.

I looked at these in Costco, are these terrible deals or ideas? I’m thinking if they do not do what I need it’s very easy to return.

Help me Forumosa computer people!

To the op. You will be fine with the asus or lenovo. Shop around a little and see if you can get anything with SSD and RTX 3060/ 3070.

Also a 2nd external monitor will make your life much easier for any production… (webpage open on laptop screen and video editing on the other.

6 Likes

Cross check the prices against other stores for same/similar spec.'s, if you live close to Costco drop in often as they often sell off the display models at a reasonable discount, with full warranty.

1 Like

41 posts were merged into an existing topic: New computer options

I have parts lying around that could build a decent desktop computer that does it all for much less than $30000. PM Me? I need to detox anyways.
Probably less than $20000

Ill support it for a year. I take care of my parts.

10 Likes

yeah get Marco to build you one, but keep your budget around 30,000nt and get the best he can give you maybe spend the extra on GPU and monitor and good mouse for editing, it will be worth it and easier.

3 Likes

Sent a PM.

1 Like

I think a laptop might be better but I can listen to argument in favour of a desktop! Do you have any helpful recommendation on what parts to buy?

I got so excited when I seen all the replies and then :sob:

When I was playing with computers always the Linux fanboys would say “use Linux”, now the Apply boys are in :zipper_mouth_face:

No one has good suggestions on a suitable laptop? I have PM’s Marco for desktop information.

Hopefully not create more debates but I seen this monitor from Xiaomi is on sale and it seems like a very low price and good spec.s. Does anyone have any technical comment on if it is really a good deal or better suggestion in this price range? I know it is a China company and that is OK, please only technical comments!

2 Likes

make sure your older games (and new) are playable on that screen size. its a pretty easy google.

if you are set on a laptop this website is a great starting point to browse and you can configure or search for a similar model on momo/pc home etc… to crosscheck price

you should aim for 3050 3060 4050 4060gpu machine with ssd and 16gb ram and external monitor, (maybe you can get 3050 and monitor for 32000nt), its a decent editing and games machine. that said a desktop from marco will often last longer.

there are all major brands organized by price, i bought a 3080RTX machine last year and a 4090RTX a few months ago from this site and had no real problems

https://www.huahuacomputer.com.tw/products/acer-宏碁-nitro5-an515-58-5427-黑-i5-12500h16grtx4060-8g512gb-pciew11144hz156-客製化電競筆電

1 Like

If you don’t need a mobile PC, then desktop one is worlds better in terms of price and performance. When you switch, you won’t go back. You can easily get an amazing system for $30k including monitor.

1 Like

It just links to “403 Forbidden” for me?

Maybe try and get into the home page and browse from there

1 Like

For smooth video editing of 4K content, especially in the HEVC format, you’ll need a laptop with ample processing power and storage capacity. Your current setup might struggle due to the large file sizes of 4K videos. To ensure optimal performance, it’s advisable to have at least 2 gigabytes of free storage space on your computer at all times. Inadequate storage can significantly impact your computer’s functionality and video editing speed.

For more information, you can check this resource https://pointerclicker.com/why-4k-video-is-lagging-on-youtube/

If you’re not particular about audio quality and using headphones is an option, you have a wide range of laptop choices available. When selecting a laptop, you can prioritize other features, such as processing power, display quality, and connectivity. For gamers, there are several gaming headphones options that might be suitable.

Some Gaming Headphones options : 【2023評比】電競耳機怎麼挑?直接推薦你PTT熱門10大電競耳機

Many modern laptops primarily feature USB Type-C ports, so you may need to invest in adapters for USB-A and Ethernet connectivity to accommodate your older devices and Raspberry Pi projects. Ensuring that your laptop meets your connectivity requirements is essential.

You can find more information about USB Type-C ports and their versatility in this resource https://root-nation.com/en/articles-en/tech-en/en-usb-type-c-on-laptop/

When it comes to the laptop screen, a minimum resolution of 1080p is essential for a decent viewing experience. While most new laptops come with full HD 1080p screens, if you prefer even higher resolution, you can explore laptops with 2K screens.

Keep in mind that you may need an HDMI port adapter to connect an external 2K monitor to your laptop.

more info about external screens : https://ofeyhong.pixnet.net/blog/post/60350154
source: Three laptop ports you can't live without | PCWorld

1 Like

Delayed my searching due to a work trip, back in time for the Double 11 deals! Anybody see anything especial cheap in laptops or desktops or components to make one?! Maybe already too late I guess.

My searching delayed again, I had some death in the family and had to go home for months to fix things. I am now more desperate to buy a computer, hopefully this week. My budget is now up to 50,000 if it is necessary because of CNY bonus :smiley: Leaning towards a laptop as I don’t need a special screen and have wires everywhere. Don’t care about sound quality, don’t want HP product, like Asus and MSI!

Is this a bad deal? Would I get much better in other place for the same price or less or would a desktop be way more better?

Is this the same or better for less price?!

PCHome were having some special on Asus TUF book but seem to be gone now, if anyone sees good deal please let me know!

I have an MSI since 2016, still working.
According to the pictures MSI has twice the storage and bigger screen.

1 Like

And faster RAM but way less battery, MSI certainly seems like a better deal if battery life and Thunderbolt connectivity are not a concern.

1 Like