Help buying a countertop oven

Yeah, the thin door is probably one reason, in addition to the thin walls - I don’t think they can reasonably fit that much insulation into these small ovens anyway. Plus maybe a lower power output.

I just checked in Carrefour and RT-Mart, but the ranges and prices are pretty comparable.

1 Like

Thanks, Carrefour seem to have the best price at the moment, it’s quite good given the features, don’t know how much difference the thicker door makes but it’s considerably cheaper than the 38L Panasonic.

1 Like

The Whirlpool one that I have goes up to 250*C and has a max timer of 120 min

The Costco one? Have you ever checked the actual temperature? Would be interested to see what difference the double door makes.

1 Like

If it runs on 110, then it’s not going to be any good. You would need to pull like 50 amps to have any snowball chance in hell of cooking pizza effectively, and 110 would melt if that happens.

But you really need the oven to run on 220 or gas, and a commercial oven preferably.

These are what bakeries would use…

That, I have not done. I have a meat thermometer and everything comes out at the correct internal temperature when it’s done cooking, but I don’t have an oven thermometer to check the actual interior temperature of the oven. I think the fact that I learned how to cook by making gourmet meals over camp fires in the middle of nowhere has given me a bed sense of how to correctly measure and maintain proper kitchen appliances. I just kind of cook food and it usually turns out alright. Do they sell oven thermometers at “stuff stores” here? I’m now also actually curious about the actual internal temperature if I crank it up to 250

I guess you could use those temp guns…

@Taiwan_Luthiers is right. 110v is limited. I bake sourdough and pizzas in a 110v kaiserchef oven from Costco for about 8k.
The top temp is barely 250c after warming up for an hour.
I bake a mean loaf of bread thanks to a cast iron dutch oven preheated for 45 min and so-so pizza on a stone due to the temperature limitations.
Consider the pan size you want to use plus the temps you need.

1 Like

You’re wasting a ton of electricity preheating the pan for an hour… might as well break out the oxy acetylene torch and heat that sucker up to almost melting…

Or insulate your oven better so the heat doesn’t escape.

You are probably better off with those 3000nt ovens if you are using 110. Anymore and you are buying fluff.

You’re wrong, again.

It’s perfectly doable to cook pizza in those ovens. I’ve done it many times. Sure, a higher temperature and/or a pizza oven would be nice and likely lead to better results, as already stated above, but it’s completely possible to make a workable pizza in the countertop ovens as well. A lot of kitchens here are pretty small anyway, and many people don’t have room for a pizza oven, so need to work with what’s available.

Perhaps you’re just not that good at cooking? I’m no master chef either, but I can make decent pizza in those ovens. The last time we had this conversation, I remember that you were anyway whinging about dough being too difficult to make. So it’s not really a problem for you, is it? :man_shrugging:

Have you ever even tried? I suspect that even with a pizza oven and an Italian grandmother on standby to make pizza dough for you, you’d still be complaining about it being impossible on account of global mozzarella prices…

(I’d complain about your posts a lot less if you weren’t always making sweeping, definitive statements about stuff that are demonstrably false.)

6 Likes

Preheating a dutch oven in the oven for 45min is standard practice for baking sourdough otherwise it won’t be good.
Fortunately, sourdough ingredients are cheap - flour, water, salt, so the cost of electricity isn’t too bad.
I can bake 6 large loaves for the same price as one small loaf.

4 Likes

(As long as your starter doesn’t start growing bright orange mold just as it’s gotten roaring :wink: )

What? Mold while heating an oven? My starter stays in the fridge until it needs a feeding. It’s 4 years old now and never had any mold. Some alcohol floats on top when it’s hungry.

4 Likes

Maybe I need to keep mine in the fridge. On the counter my starters have always gotten the most fantastic-looking mold growth about a month into it. I blame Taiwanese climate…

When you’re not using it it should go into the fridge, but don’t keep it forever as it will take longer to wake up or different acidic bacteria will take over (acidity, sourness, flavor depends a lot on the temperature). When starting for baking a day in advance take it out and feed it, return some to the fridge next day, the rest you need to bake (depends on how many bread you want to bake). Try to hold a regular schedule and try to keep similar working temperatures.
Baking bread in Taiwan is not as simple as it sounds, up north summer and winter differ a lot.

3 Likes

Seem very low, surely the tops of stuff would get burnt! Anyway, 110V should be good enough for what I need to do.

Does anyone have the Dr Goods oven and can input?

Fiancé owns a Dr Goods oven. I’ve baked in it once. She uses it very frequently (3-4 times a week sometimes). The best thing about it that I’ve noticed is that it cooks very evenly.

1 Like

i have the Sampo KZ-TA38f, i got it new at a reduced price about 3 or more years ago, it a good oven but the main benefit is the double glass door and good insulation.

it also has a rotisserie and a fan

see link

https://shopee.tw/SAMPO聲寶-38L雙溫控油切旋風烤箱-KZ-TA38F-i.98281045.1621775322

2 Likes

I’ve had one for many years (10+), but hadn’t commented earlier because I thought maybe my info was out of date. I still like it. The timer broke a few years ago, which I suppose is a safety issue.

All these years I’ve thought I was cooking quite good pizza in it, but @Taiwan_Luthiers tells me that’s impossible and I’m wrong. Oh well.

I use a Lodge cast-iron reversible grill-griddle as a pizza stone (I think @Dragonbones suggested this), to make two individual pizzas, which works well for vegetarian wife and carnivore me. With that griddle preheated, the pizzas cook in about 12 minutes - that’s with an oven temp of around 240-250C. I’ve made loaves of bread in it too, but I’m lazy and mostly use a bread machine for that.

I’ve also done plenty of other basic baking and casseroles in it. If one rack is out, and the other rack is resting on the bottom, my Dutch oven also fits in it, so I’ve done that a fair bit. If I were buying a new countertop oven here, whether or not the Dutch oven fits would be one of the main things I’d check.

A friend’s roasted a chicken in one of these, and the results on the table were fantastic, but the clean-up afterwards less so.

My biggest issue for usual cooking is that the “broiling” option doesn’t do much. Well, there is no broiling option, you just turn the top grill to maximum. Those 2-3 minutes to brown the cheese or the chicken wings out of the slow cooker or whatever often take quite a bit longer. If ever. I keep meaning to take out the upper splatter screen and see if that helps, but I always remember at inopportune times when there’s nowhere to put a red-hot splatter screen/grate.

Other minor caveats: it’s in the same plug as the microwave, and I need to turn on ONLY the microwave or oven, not both at the same time; and it may not quite fit the proper pizza stones you can find at Crate & Barrel (the measurements are very close). Oh, and we wound up getting a kitchen cabinet custom-made to fit it, I believe because the Ikea options weren’t the right size.

4 Likes