Help buying a countertop oven

My wife has given approval to buy an oven. Our main uses will be for things like fish, chicken, and bread. Her budget is up to NT$20K, so we have some wiggle room. The only conditions are that it be apartment-sized, suitable for the higher temperatures needed for bread, and be 110v. Also, we’d like something Japanese because of quality, and it’ll most likely give us the best bang for our buck here (as opposed to something European).

Even if you don’t have any personal experience with this kind of oven, what are some things we should be aware of? Do I need the ability to steam if I’ll be baking bread in a Dutch oven? Do we need a fan? How do we determine the oven’s efficiency and ability to retain heat? What other things should we consider? Thanks.

For typical western applications you need a fan. Avoid steam and other fancy features like a rotating rotisserie chicken stick. Usually the more features the oven has, the less any of them do what you want them to.

For the ability to retain heat, there isn’t much of a secret. The thicker the walls, the more heat it retains. Avoid ovens that appear light and flimsy.

1 Like

8 posts were split to a new topic: Ground Fault Circuit Interruption / Residual Current Devices

A rotisserie option is excellent. Cooks poultry so much better.

We have a Kaiser from Costco. Not sure if they still sell them. It’s lasted 7 years and still working reasonably well.

Same here, around 10 years now tjough and. And yes they sell them still. My only small complaint is that the door does not close super well. Probably that is why when you check with a thermometer it doesn’t actually get quite as hot as you set it. But so far it has been adequate for Breads, Pizzas, Lasagna, cakes.

I have to set it at 200 for something I’d normally cook at 180.

Outside temp is important.
Check to make sure the outside of the oven doesn’t get too hot. If it does, you may need heat shields for what you place it next to.

Size is important too. It is so frustrating not to be able to fit standard size muffin tins or cookie sheets because the door opening or inside is too narrow. Check the size of baking sheets, pans etc that you have to make sure they will fit.

See the threads below. I’m not aware of anything much changing over the past few years. The last one talks about making bread.

I got a Dr. Goods one, five years back; I think it cost around $8,000? Haven’t regretted it. If you’ve got some kind of pizza stone or other heat sink, it’s fine for bread.

I dimly recall looking at Japanese ones in the department stores and being horrified by how much more expensive they are - plus they had added costs, like possibly redecorating the kitchen to fit the oven. I think on Forumosa I’ve mostly read about the Dr. Goods or the Costco Kaiser.

1 Like

To be honest I was hoping to avoid reading 200-300 posts about other people’s decision-making and just find someone who could address my particular situation. Plus, those threads are kind of old. I don’t think they are very current with what’s out there.

It might be best to change the title of your thread to “Help buying a Japanese countertop oven for under 20k”?

Eh, ovens don’t change that much. And for making bread, Dragonbones’ postings here over the years are probably the best guide you’re going to find for making bread in a home kitchen in Taiwan, and they suggest to me that a steaming function doesn’t matter much. I remain too lazy to make loaves in my oven (I use a bread machine for that), but I’ve made pizza and focaccia in it many, many times, plus quick breads. The broiling function isn’t too hot. Oh, pun was unintended, but I’ll leave it in.

In my experience fancy features are more trouble than they’re worth, because a cookbook is just going to tell you “bake at 500 for 20 minutes and turn once”, without explaining how the heck to adjust for convection or steaming.

Big plus with Dr. Goods is that servicing is apparently easy in Taiwan. I don’t know what that’s like for the Japanese models.

I just bought a DR Goods off FB marketplace for 5k. Still sells on their website for 8500. Mine is about a year old. Good quality. Awesome thick door. They sell two models, 1000nt diff. Not sure what they are…
Mine has no fan, but gets pizza baking hot in 15min.
The top gets hot, more towards he sides, but not blisring hot. Bulding a floating shelf u it for it to keep it out of reach of the girls.
Will update after our first cookie enterprise next weekend.
So far, very pleased

Does anyone know where it get Kaiser ovens repaired? We have had ours over six years but it seems like the thermostat is broken

If you bought it at Costco take it there. Explain you want it fixed.

1 Like

Has anyone bought the Whirlpool 32L Convection Oven from Costco?

It’s on sale and the price is pretty good. Can’t find any reviews though.

I am looking to buy an oven, I checked all the posts above but many things are still out of date. I want the oven for baking bread, pizza, whole chicken etc.

Is the Dr Goods still the best recommendation at 8,500? It’s a little more than I want to spend but possible if it is still highly recommended.

Other one I was looking at was the Panasonic 38L PChome線上購物 -1ktbki3_gaMjEwNjI5MzU4MC4xNjQ1MzI1MDg0_ga_9CE1X6J1FGMTY0NTMyNTA4My4xLjEuMTY0NTMyNTA5NC40OQ…_fplc*cEM0YlRyZ04za2Y5NXIxN3I3ZVhYTVIyanNubkFoZEk3bGhiWU92QXk1Z1lrczJUd1N5OGtkJTJGQlpzVmI1N1A0VkcyZFFDY0daR0J0eEplZkd0ODBGUWJJbGpxSW5JQkl3S1UyeUhrRXhMblFWMjdyTXlwdiUyQnMwWUlNNUtyZyUzRCUzRA… which is nearly 5,000 but has a fan and rotator. The price is a little crazy as the 32L version is nearly 2000 NT cheaper with the same functions just 6L less, PChome線上購物 - . The 32L seems a little small.

The other ones I seen were from Bosch in IKEA but around 40,000NT which is a bit outside my budget!

Does anyone have any recent recommendation or comments on the ones mentioned?

I have the one @SuiGeneris asked about in Jan of 2020, purchased from Costco. It works fine for me. It’s large enough to cook half a chicken and can only do six muffins at a time/half cakes because otherwise the heat can’t circulate properly around the pan. I’m not usually making more than two servings worth of food though, so I lowered my standards

Edit to add: you can probably cook a full chicken in it. There’s a convection setting, so having a whole pan cutting the oven in half actually probably isn’t the end of the world. I’ve never tried though.

1 Like

Thanks, I think it would be a little small though, would prefer 38L or thereabouts. Do you know what the actual maximum temperature reached is? How long does it take to cook half a chicken in it?

I have a similar one from Carrefour (see the thread below), and it’s fine for cooking bread, pizzas, whole chickens, etc. A slightly higher temperature would be nice sometimes, but I don’t think there’s enough insulation on these small ovens for that to be realistic. My oven thermometer says it reaches 200–210°C (depends on the outside temperature, I guess) when set to maximum and allowed to preheat.

It takes as long as it normally takes to roast a whole/half chicken – I don’t think you’d normally use higher temperatures than those above for roasting chicken anyway. You can search online for how many minutes per kilo or whatever are recommended, which will be the same here, or buy a cheap meat thermometer (I have one of those with an external probe, I think it cost less than NT$200 or something on Shopee).

2 Likes

Thanks, it looks like the door is just a single pane of glass, rather than the thicker double layer on the Panasonic, maybe that’s why the max. temp is a little lower? Will take a look in-store.