Help for remote-less airconditioner owners please!

I saw this by ImaniOU, so decided to quote it before asking the question I’ve been wanting to post for a while.[quote=“ImaniOU”]I have yet to turn my air conditioner on (but that’s because I can’t find the damn remote control for it).[/quote]
I also don’t have a remote control for my second-hand and rather old “National” air-conditioner. I can turn it on, but it’s stuck at 26 degrees and “strong wind”! It sounds like a plane taking off, it’s too cold for me and it’s a waste of electricity. Not sure how long I’ll stay in this place so I don’t want to buy a new air-con.

Any suggestions for how to get a compatible remote control or otherwise change the settings? I’ve tried pointing the TV and DVD remotes at the air-con and randomly pressing buttons, but it doesn’t work!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Some appliance shops which sell air conditioners can install an infared sensor for a remote control for about 1500 NT.

Actually, what they install is not just the infared sensor, but a whole “wired remote” (xian4 kong4), which looks exactly like a regular remote control except that it’s connected to the air conditioner with a long wire. (Usually, they give you a plastic holder to stick on the wall at a convenient place, and then you can put the “wired remote” in the holder.)

Then after they install the “wired remote” (xian4 kong4), they give you a “wireless remote” (yao2 kong4), which looks the same as the “wired remote” except that it’s wireless.

Then you can control the air conditioner either by using the “wireless remote” (and pointing it at the “wired remote”) or by just directly pushing the buttons on the “wired remote”.

I got this done a few years ago, and it was definitely worth the 1500 NT because my air conditioner was way up near the ceiling, so before I got the “wired remote” installed, I had to climb up a ladder every time I wanted to turn the air conditioner on, adjust the temperature, or turn it off!

:astonished: my air con is always on 16 and i’m still too hot. I’ve noticed it doesn’t do as good of a job as cooling my place down as last year… the air con is only a year old and i bought it new last summer. the kind with the fan outside the house…

:astonished: my air con is always on 16 and i’m still too hot. I’ve noticed it doesn’t do as good of a job as cooling my place down as last year… the air con is only a year old and i bought it new last summer. the kind with the fan outside the house…[/quote]

Do you need it cleaned? I don’t mean the filter, I mean the evaporator itself. Anyway, we got a guy from the company to come round and he cleaned it and put some more refrigerant in it for NT$800 I think it was.

26 is too cold? Blimey.

this might sound stupid but do all air cons take refrigerant? i have one of those that are mounted on the wall… the long rectangular kind, not the kind that sits in the window…

There are some people selling remote controls for all kinds of airco’s on Yahoo/Ebay Taiwan. They have remotes that work for up to 400 types of airco.
My remote was broken due to leaking batteries, and I got myself one of those 400 in 1 airco remote controllers (for 500NT), and although my airco was not on the list of machines it said it served, just tried out all different types (you need to enter a number and by doing so reprogram the remote for each type of airco) and found one that worked (and if you find one that works, normally it can handle all functions available on your airco unit). By the way, the guy who sold it said I could send it back and he would refund if it did not work on my airco.
I still got the email of the guy. PM me if you need it, you probably will have to write your message in chinese though, and be sure to add your type of airco or remote;)

[quote=“henknaert”]There are some people selling remote controls for all kinds of airco’s on Yahoo/Ebay Taiwan. They have remotes that work for up to 400 types of airco.
My remote was broken due to leaking batteries, and I got myself one of those 400 in 1 airco remote controllers (for 500NT), and although my airco was not on the list of machines it said it served, just tried out all different types (you need to enter a number and by doing so reprogram the remote for each type of airco) and found one that worked (and if you find one that works, normally it can handle all functions available on your airco unit). By the way, the guy who sold it said I could send it back and he would refund if it did not work on my airco.
I still got the email of the guy. PM me if you need it, you probably will have to write your message in Chinese though, and be sure to add your type of airco or remote;)[/quote]Thanks very much, henknaert. Sounds like just what I need. I’m PMing your for the email.

As I said, the machine does a good enough job of cooling the air, but does anyone think that getting it cleaned would make it quieter? Or is the noise inevitable with old air-conditioners?

Remotes are a dime a dozen. I once waited a week for some sad fuck to sotter my sad remote.
I couldn’t adjust the temperature, and it was hot!
They have universal AC remotes for a couple of cents at Carrefour. Made in China with Chinese quality. Better than nothing, buy a few.

Try getting a universal remote. Didn’t work for me though, I think the problem must be at the aircon end.

One of our AC units stopped working with the remote. A repairman came and swapped out the IR sensor board for $400.

If your interested in a much more expensive route, I got my AC to work via the infrared on my Palm E2. Using the Novi remote program.

novii.tv/palm/