Help me buy a new computer

Okay, I’ve GOT to replace this busted up mess of a computer. I was trying to be cheap and just use it anyway, but it’s really falling appart and the sound keeps comming and going and that drives me nutts. I’ve tried all the fixes and downloading new versions of software. Plus, I need something I can take back and forth to work with me starting Aug. 1, and this thing is just too busted up to do that.

I can spend about 30 grand, but I really, REALLY don’t want to.

I don’t do anything impressive with my computer–as evidenced by the fact that I don’t even know how to ask for what I want.

I need a good office type program for word processing and presentations. I need something that can handle quite a bit of music and video. I need the computer to run fairly fast, just cause I can’t STAND a slow computer, but I don’t “game” or anything. I need this stuff because it’s what I use most in the classroom.

Please tell me what to look for and where to look! Thank you all very, very much!

As for software, between Open Office (a free downloadable package) and Google Docs (web based document aka “cloud computing”) I see no need to purchase business software for personal use. These two have replaced Word, Powerpoint, Excel at zero cost. So I would advise to NOT pay extra for any software above and beyond Windows, at least not for the applications you mentioned.

Before leaving the States, my wife picked up an Asus UL30 based laptop and it serves the purpose quite well and was probably around 23k NT equivalent in the States. The thing I like about hers is it has a button to switch on/off the higher speed graphics processor, so you can get longer battery life when doing web surfing and word processing and then boost it up when playing videos or games.

I’m sure someone else can advise where to shop…Gonguan in Taipei seems to have everything, in the States I’m used to just having it shipped from Amazon.

-Mike

Thanks for the advice about the free software. I’m in Kaohsiung, BTW.

Are you interested in PC or Mac? A desktop or a notebook? There will be a big difference in price based on the answers to these questions.

I’m interested in CHEAP and portable. Thanks! :smiley:

How about this one:

gadgets-article.com/review-a … s-battery/

I am typing this on the earlier model purchased a couple of years ago for about $15,000 (I don’t recall the exact price but it is famous as an economy mini-laptop). It’s been flawless so far.

[quote=“housecat”]I can spend about 30 grand, but I really, REALLY don’t want to.

I don’t do anything impressive with my computer–as evidenced by the fact that I don’t even know how to ask for what I want.

I need a good office type program for word processing and presentations. I need something that can handle quite a bit of music and video. I need the computer to run fairly fast, just cause I can’t STAND a slow computer, but I don’t “game” or anything. I need this stuff because it’s what I use most in the classroom. [/quote]
Given your requirements, I would (and will, soon as v.2 is available) get an iPad. You may not find one before your deadline.

How do you want to use this for presentations? I’ve got a 12" iBook, and even that isn’t ideal for mobility, but the screen size and visibility are alright. If mobility is your prime concern, and nobody else needs to look on, get one of those eee mini laptops. (Unless you’re jacking in to a projector. I’ve no idea about speed.) If you want mobility, speed, and a screen, get an iPad.

OK, so a PC and a laptop.

Just checked again and there are many options below $20,000. I can recommend the Asus Eee series. The new processors should meet all your needs. If you don’t like the Asus feel there are many other brands. I like the look of the Apple products but have never used one. I am sure Jaboney has a good idea about them and I have only heard good things too.

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“housecat”]I can spend about 30 grand, but I really, REALLY don’t want to.

I need a good office type program for word processing and presentations. I need something that can handle quite a bit of music and video. I need the computer to run fairly fast, just cause I can’t STAND a slow computer, but I don’t “game” or anything. I need this stuff because it’s what I use most in the classroom. [/quote]
Given your requirements, I would (and will, soon as v.2 is available) get an iPad. You may not find one before your deadline.

How do you want to use this for presentations? I’ve got a 12" iBook, and even that isn’t ideal for mobility, but the screen size and visibility are alright. If mobility is your prime concern, and nobody else needs to look on, get one of those eee mini laptops. (Unless you’re jacking in to a projector. I’ve no idea about speed.) If you want mobility, speed, and a screen, get an iPad.[/quote]

Good question about presentations. I just now realized that I won’t have a smart board in my classroom this year. Maybe I need something a bit larger so that students can look on? But there are no more than 10 students in an any of my classes, so maybe small is still okay.

I googled ipad and I must say that it looks really nice. e thing, mini computer looks cheaper. Will I have to “re-learn” how to type on the smaller keypad of the mini notebook things? Is it possible I could some how plug the thing into a projector of some sort? How big and heavy is the ipad? It looks slim, but maybe a bit larger? Why can’t I get an ipad before Aug. 1?
Can I use an ipad like a Kindle?

Housecat, you should be able to get a perfectly capable laptop for around NT$20,000.

When you say portable, just how portable do you mean? Will you be carrying it to work every day?

Every day. Yes.

I don’t recommend an iPad as your main computer. It’s great to supplement what you do, but I wouldn’t say it’s ready to replace your main system. The on screen keyboard is fine for typing small emails and such but can’t compare to a regular keyboard for longer documents.

I would suggest getting either a netbook or PC laptop. Netbooks are smaller laptops - they are cheaper, more portable and have excellent battery life (especially the new ones). However they don’t come with a CD/DVD drive (if you’re going to be playing music/movies or installing conventional software) and the screen size is much smaller. Laptops are more money (still well within your budget) but are a bit bulkier to carry around (although they are much more slimmer than laptops from a few years ago), have less battery life (although again much better than from a few years ago) but larger screens. Here is a summary:

Netbooks:
Price range: $10K to $15K NT.
Battery life: Anywhere from 6 hours to 13 hours
Screen size: Around 10"

Laptops:
Price range :$20K to $30K (for your needs $20 to $25K should be plenty).
Battery life: Anywhere from 4 to 8.5 hours for newer ones.
Screen size: 14" to 15"
Laptops also come with more powerful processors (watching videos will be smoother) as well as CD/DVD drives.

I have an Eee PC and I love it. Very portable. The first computer I’ve ever owned for which I have no qualms about packing it up in a daypack and taking it with me on trips to Southeast Asia or wherever, that’s how portable and lightweight it is.

You will need an external CD-ROM drive, though, if you intend to install software from CD or burn CDs.

Housecat, you say you need to carry it to work every day, but you also want to show the display to your class. I think you will need to compromise here.

Chris is right; netbooks are highly portable and capable. However, if this is going to be your one and only computer and you need to do a lot of video stuff, I wouldn’t recommend that you get this as your one and only computer. Same goes for the iPad (in my opinion).

I think your best bet is to go for something like a 14" or 15" laptop (Adam_CLO’s second suggestion) and then, if possible, use a projector (hopefully your school already has one cos they’re not cheap).

Again, you should be able to get one for around NT$20,000.

I have very little experience with the mini notebooks. From what I’ve seen, the keyboard and screen are small enough that they require greater attention from the operator… pulling your attention from the class. I wouldn’t bother trying to share that screen with more than one person at a time, and even then, only when you’re sitting side-by-side.

I have used my iBook in private classes in the past, but experience has taught me not to bother with more than one or two students. The screen simply isn’t bright and sharp enough, and if viewed from too much of an angle (say, the second desk to the side), you can’t make out what’s onscreen. With a small class (up to four students), the tiny iPhone screen is about as useful for displaying some content.

Apparently, that’s not an issue with the iPad, which is bright and sharp enough that it works as well as a larger screen, and it can be viewed well from sharp angles.
These are the iPad dimensions:
Height: 9.56 inches (242.8 mm)
Width: 7.47 inches (189.7 mm)
Depth: 0.5 inch (13.4 mm)
Weight: 1.5 pounds (0.68 kg) Wi-Fi model; 1.6 pounds (0.73 kg) Wi-Fi + 3G model

They’re not yet on sale through official channels in Taiwan, but they are available in various shops. And yes, you can certainly use it as a Kindle. There’s even a Kindle app, and the thing was dubbed a “Kindle killer” early on.

I went looking for something else and stumbled across this review from six months ago. Not the best review, but the video in the background gives you a decent idea of how it’ll look to your students while in your hands, and how it’s used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoMo4BcvPbA&feature=related

What are you going to be teaching/demo’ing onscreen? What age groups? Are there specific programs you want to run? Are you interested in purpose-built educational apps?

If you’re packing it to work everyday, don’t get a large laptop.
You could get a mini notebook and have a large external monitor and full-sized keyboard that stay behind in your class. (I have such a set-up in my office for editing.)

I’ll check with the school about projecting. I have a feeling they will not have anything because I’ve been in the classrooms and there are still chalk boards–not even white boards. But if they have one, or I can get them to invest in one, then is it possible to hook one up? What about using a television? Can I plug an eee thing into a tv to use it as a larger display? That might be a lot easier.

Housecat, a lot of (but certainly not all) laptop computers have a TV output. These days a lot of manufacturers are moving towards a High-Definition TV connector, which I’m going to assume wouldn’t work with the TVs at your school, so just be careful there.

Any minute now TheLostSwede will show up (hopefully) and give you some very specific information and prices.

Yes the netbook (eeePC for example) will have the same external display connections as most standard laptops. You can hook it up to an external monitor or projector. TV out may be trickier - not sure if they will all have that connection. If it’s a newer TV, it will have a PC input connection. If it’s an older TV that doesn’t, then you probably wouldn’t want to hook up your netbook to it, since its resolution would show a poorer quality picture.

I don’t know about other models but the battery life on my Eee Pc is great, something to consider if you are going to use the machine in the classroom and don’t want to hassle with an extra set of cables.