Help me buy a new computer

Right, sure, but I meant as in there’s no difference when you actually use it, hence why you’d be mad not to get the 64-bit version.

Ok, let’s make things easy for you, TK3C is all over this island and as much as I don’t think they’re great, it’s easy to find a few options there for you that you can get your hands on without too much hassle.
tkec.com.tw/pt.aspx?cid=515& … pid=106124 small, light, but not super powerful, also very affordable at NT$14,900
tkec.com.tw/pt.aspx?cid=515& … pid=108146 not as small and light, but a lot more powerful
tkec.com.tw/pt.aspx?pid=103643 something somewhere in between the first two
tkec.com.tw/pt.aspx?cid=515& … pid=107716 another powerful machine, but not as thin and light, but very good value for money in terms of the features on offer
tkec.com.tw/pt.aspx?cid=515& … pid=108116 another decent machine for the money

All are under 20k and I think pretty much all of them should do what you want and then some

If you’re scared of going to a computer shop, just order a Dell online at dell.com.tw/ since all you need is a credit card. They do have English versions of Windows usually of no additional cost with most of their models.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Ok, let’s make things easy for you, TK3C is all over this island and as much as I don’t think they’re great, it’s easy to find a few options there for you that you can get your hands on without too much hassle.
tkec.com.tw/pt.aspx?cid=515& … pid=106124 small, light, but not super powerful, also very affordable at NT$14,900
tkec.com.tw/pt.aspx?cid=515& … pid=108146 not as small and light, but a lot more powerful
tkec.com.tw/pt.aspx?pid=103643 something somewhere in between the first two
tkec.com.tw/pt.aspx?cid=515& … pid=107716 another powerful machine, but not as thin and light, but very good value for money in terms of the features on offer
tkec.com.tw/pt.aspx?cid=515& … pid=108116 another decent machine for the money

All are under 20k and I think pretty much all of them should do what you want and then some[/quote]

I like this! This is nice. This is, “Hey, silly lady, like ANY computer sold these days can do the stuff you want to do.” That’s what I needed to hear.

It’s not that I’m scared to go to a computer shop, just that I have no idea how to speak the speak. I mean, the earlier parts of this thread that talk about the sanity of buying a computer with various amouts of bits or gigs or whatever? No clue. And I know that that makes me look somewhat idiotic to someone who does this kind of stuff for a living all day long.

No, not really, some people just use the things and don’t give a rats ass about the bits inside.

The only reason for the multiple choices is because I don’t know exactly what you’re after. They’re all slightly different, but if you can be more specific as to what you want, I could narrow things down a bit more. But considering that you were looking at netbooks to start with, I figured you wanted something fairly portable with decent battery life. Only the HP and the small Acer have better than average battery life, as the other models are more standard notebooks.

You also said you wanted to spend as little as possible, hence the 20k budget limit. Sure, you could spend a bit more, get something that’ll last you another year or two, but that’s really your call. Depending on what you do, any of these machines should most likely do the job for you.

How old is your current notebook and presumably that was not a top or the range model at the time? What do you do beyond typing on it, checking email and browsing the web? The larger screen you get, the heavier it gets, so if you want something to carry around with you, the small Acer is the first choice and the HP the second. Neither of those have a built in DVD drive though, so if you use a lot of discs, then those are not a good choice as you’d have to buy an optional USB DVD drive. If you can stretch your budget a little bit and want something really small and portable, then this is a better choice than the first Acer tkec.com.tw/pt.aspx?cid=515& … pid=105880
Asus also has this model tkec.com.tw/pt.aspx?cid=515& … pid=104833 and a friend of mine bought one and he swears he can get 12h battery life out of it.

Hope this helps a bit more.

Fixed ur post :wink:

This is decent. 3C is a safe and not expensive (much) choice, and they’ll give practical and helpful service. Get a member card for 1 year, and any other purchases will have a slight discount. There’s a lot to be said for the ease of shopping that 3C provides. However, it’s still a good idea to wander around Pateh Road to check out the alternatives first.

Maybe with the above NB, ask them to put in an extra 2G of RAM for free.

It’s about four years old now. Toshiba Satalite. It still works–all but the sound which has been hit and miss for more than two years now. I’ve bought about 8 power cords for it, too. But it’s busted up. It’s actually impressive that it works at all, honestly, from the looks of it. Every time I move it, some other bit of plastic breaks off it somewhere. The left hinge is conpletely broken after the flight, so the screan just balances on the right side. If not replaced, soon I would be using the thing in two seperate parts. Oh and the SD reader has become un-responsive.

[quote]Asus also has this model tkec.com.tw/pt.aspx?cid=515& … pid=104833 and a friend of mine bought one and he swears he can get 12h battery life out of it.

Hope this helps a bit more.[/quote]

Actually, this is exactly what I ended up with. I went twice and asked about two seperate computers, but they apparently keep very little stock in the store. They had only this one, of this model, they said, but sold it to me for the price on the link you provide–with a printer and some blank disks thrown in.

So far, so great, but difficult to type without sensoring the mouse pad. Thanks, everyone!! To be as large as this is, it’s still pretty light. It’ll work out just fine.

Yep, the one you finally got is a specially designed very portable series. Pretty far from what you originally said you want, by the way, IMHO:

• slow processor (but this helps with long battery life and small size & weight)

• It has a special, expensive, additional graphics chip that you can switch on, for running fancy 3D games faster :wink: Thrown out some money, here…

Faster than a netbook for sure, good for you :wink: I hope your mentioning “slow PCs get on your nerves” is really only based on your old laptop. If it is, then probably this one will be fast enough, even it is pretty slow for the money (the design just had other priorities).

Anyway, as long as you are happy it is the right one for you - plus that series is VERY stylish, which can be a plus with girls when buying computers :wink:

By the way, for the annoying touch pad issue, try this here:
addictivetips.com/windows-ti … en-typing/

Thanks, Olm. Yep, wasted turbuo junk. Yep, it’s not exactly as quick as I’d hopped, but it’s not slow. It’s just that I’m not the paragon of paitience I once was. And thanks to you–this reply was the easiest thing to type in a couple of days!! The curser only jumped away once!

There should be a button or two that allows you to disable the touch pad, in this specific case hold down the Fn key and F9 and the touch pad will be locked. Press the same keys again and it works again.

And slow, well, it depends what CPU you got in it. It also has a turbo function that “overclocks” the CPU, i.e. make it run faster when you’re plugged into a wall socket.Try pressing Fn and the space bar and you should get a little popup that shows you which performance mode you’re in.

The graphics card isn’t junk, but I guess it wasn’t something you really needed. If you ever do any kind of video editing, it can actually help speed up the time it takes to render the video if your video editing software supports something called CUDA. It’s all a bit technical, but more and more programs are able to take advantage of the graphics chip to reduce the time it takes to do certain tasks.

You said you had a fairly limited budget, so I wasn’t going to suggest something that was in the region of 25-30k, as yes, it would’ve been a lot faster, but I didn’t think you wanted to spend that much cash, at least not judging by your earlier posts. You’d most likely have ended up with something heavier as well.

Toshiba usually makes pretty solid notebooks, saw a couple of their new models earlier today at an event. Their latest model is over 45k for the basic version with the higher-end model coming in at close to 60k… it’s super light at 1.4kg, but…

Anyhow, good luck with it, it should hopefully last you a while. The good thing is that Asus has support centres all over this island, as well as abroad, just in case.

Thanks. I do think it’s going to be just fine. So far, so good, anyway. :slight_smile:

[quote=“housecat”]it’s not exactly as quick as I’d hopped, but it’s not slow. ![/quote]I think I read that you have 2gigs of RAM. TLS would probably know, but I think you can install more RAM, up to 3gigs if not 4 gigs on that machine. It’s cheap, too. This would make the machine considerably faster and it would keep it running cooler which in terms would extend the life of it. It’s totally worth it for approx. 1000NT. (I think that’s what I paid for the additional RAM on my machine, but the price may vary a bit.) It takes two seconds to install and they do it on the spot.

Did you buy the printer or did they thrown it in the deal for you? It sounds like they gave it to you. If that’s the case, I think you did very well.

PS: Maybe someone who knows better than me can explain to her what it means to install more RAM. All I know is that it speeds up the computer.

'Twas a gift. They really seemed to want to get me to stop comming in! Ha. If you think I don’t know what I’m talking about in English with this stuff, just imagine their stress at trying to talk to me about it in Chinese! But they were very nice and tried very hard to help me.

Do me a favour, click start, computer and then click on system properties and tell me what it says there under processor, ram and system type. Just curious as to what they sold you, but I presume it’s the SU7300 processor.

I guess your OS is in Chinese, but if you want English it’s easy with Windows 7. First go here and download Vistalizator v2.40 froggie.sk/download.html

Then find the English language pack for your version of Windows (32 or 64-bit). Then follow the install guide to add English as the main language in Windows 7 froggie.sk/screens.html

I always thought the turbo button was a marketing gimmick and pushing it only sets the CPU to stock frequencies. At maximum performance, my laptop is at stock speed already. Any settings below is for battery power savings and heat dissipation purposes. Heat generation is the biggest enemy and is regarded as the number one cause for problems in laptops.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Do me a favour, click start, computer and then click on system properties and tell me what it says there under processor, ram and system type. Just curious as to what they sold you, but I presume it’s the SU7300 processor.

I guess your OS is in Chinese, but if you want English it’s easy with Windows 7. First go here and download Vistalizator v2.40 froggie.sk/download.html

Then find the English language pack for your version of Windows (32 or 64-bit). Then follow the install guide to add English as the main language in Windows 7 froggie.sk/screens.html[/quote]

Processor=U7300

Ram=2.00

System type=64 Bit os

So it’s the fast processor in terms of the low power ones. 2GB of RAM is potentially what’s holding you back a bit, as Windows 7 is happier with 4GB, much happier in fact. I think you’ll find that is part of the reason why some programs are a bit slow to start. 64-bit Windows is imho a good a thing and you shouldn’t have any problems with any software on that machine. Worst case, right click the icon for the software, select properties, go to the compatibility tab and select “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select something like Windows XP (Sergice Pack 3) and that should do the trick, but I honestly can’t remember the last time I had to do this.

The Turbo feature in this case is not a gimmick at all, as it increases the speed of the processor from 1.3GHz to about 1.7GHz, but this only works when the notebook is plugged in as far as I know.

The problem is the harddrive is slow. The primary variables in app start time is spinning up the harddrive, copying files to from the harddrive to RAM, running initialization routines. If the machine is not pegging RAM on app startup, more should not help.

There is a decent workaround in Windows 7 called ReadyBoost that helps with app startup on machines with slow harddrives.

If you have an SD card or USB Stick of 4GB or more that you can leave attached to the machine always, you can use it as a ReadyBoost drive (it’s one of the options you get when you stick in the drive) and essentially get a “poor man’s SSD” in the app startup scenario. The reason is that ReadyBoost earmarks often used static files like those used for apps and puts them on the SD card. Then when it’s time to startup the app, the files get read off the SD card into RAM orders of magnitudes faster than it does off a harddrive.

That said, more RAM is always better since it reduces dependence on a swap file. A swap file is what happens when your programs need more RAM than the computer actually has. Windows handles this by creating a file, the swap file, that acts as fake RAM. But since a harddrive is orders of magnitude slower than RAM, hitting a swap file on a slow harddrive is the quickest way to suddenly turn your machine into a turtle.