Help me remember what was that game again

I use to play a game, years ago, during summer camps. Someone tells how a dead body was discovered and by asking questions we have to find how it happened.
But there was something very peculiar about these crime scenes that made it very weird how someone could die like that.
It was a really cool guessing game. I looked through the internet under “guessing games” “detective guessing games” etc… but no success.
Anyone ever played such a game?

I recall something weird like that from school days. The one that sticks in my mind started with a phrase and we had to ask questions to solve the case. The phrase was, if he had’ve seen the sawdust, he might be alive today.

Oh, a web search reveals . . .

[img]“If he’d seen the sawdust he’d be alive today.”

What happened?

To answer this riddle you must determine the events that led up to this quotation by asking simple questions.[/img]

Umm, I think it turned out to be a circus clown that died when someone sabotaged the hiigh wire, or sumfink.

HG

Edit: More here:
[url=http://web.mala.bc.ca/black/CV%20Items/EXPLGAME.HTM]IF HE’D SEEN THE SAWDUST . . .[/url]
An explanation game is a game in which participants have
to discover an explanation for a scenario or series of events,
supplied at the outset by the game leader. Participants ask
questions which the leader may answer “yes”, “no” or “irrelevant.”
Participants have, then, to formulate general hypotheses about the
form of the hidden explanation and to reject or modify these in
response to answers from the leader, until the correct hypothesis
is reached. There is no guarantee (far from it!) that the correct
hypothesis will be the most reasonable: the correct answer is
simply the explanation which the game leader has in mind.

I remember playing something like that once with a couple of Israeli friends in a stoned haze on Koh Pha Ngan.

It began with - “A man went to a restaurant on the 50th floor. He ordered seagull soup, took one mouthful and immediately ran to the window, jumped through the window and fell 50 stories to his death”. We had to work out why he jumped.

You can find more of this kind of thing by searching for “lateral thinking puzzles”.

Here’s quite a good one: a man lives on the tenth floor of a ten-floor tower block. Every morning he takes the elevator to the first floor, goes out and goes to work. Every evening when he comes back, he gets in the elevator, goes up to the sixth floor, then gets out and walks up the remaining four floors. Why?

Another one: a house has two square windows. Each window is 2m high and 2m wide. But one window is twice as big as the other. How?

A man walks into a liquor store and asks for a glass of water. The clerk quickly pulls a gun from under the counter and points it at the man’s head. The man says, “Thank you” and leaves the store. Why?

OMG, I remember playing that one, exactly. Nice, thanks.

Thanks man, I found what I needed.
Tell you the truth I didn’t think anyone would know what I am talking about. Turns out I was wrong.
Thanks again guys.
Cheers

joesax
Bingo!

The man’s a dwarf and can’t reach higher than the sixth floor button.

Your other one’s got me stumped, though.

Edit: Does it involve a mirror?

[quote=“Infidel”]joesax
Bingo!

The man’s a dwarf and can’t reach higher than the sixth floor button.

Your other one’s got me stumped, though.

Edit: Does it involve a mirror?[/quote]Nope. It depends on the way round that you look at one of the squares. Actually, “square” might not be the first word that comes to mind if you look at it that way.

joesax,

I’m really clutching at straws here, but…is one of the windows broken in half?

[quote=“Infidel”]joesax,

I’m really clutching at straws here, but…is one of the windows broken in half?[/quote]No. Here’s the answer:

One of the windows is a diamond shape. It’s still square because each side is the same length. But it’s rotated 45 degrees so when you look at it it’s a diamond. It’s as high as the other window and as wide, but it’s actually half the area.

joesax,

That’s great! Thanks for putting me out of my misery.
Here’s another one I remember…

You’re a prisoner in a cell. There are two doors. Outside each door is a guard. You know that one guard is scrupulously honest, and the other is an inveterate liar, but you don’t know which is which. EDIT: the guards know, though

You are given a single chance of freedom. You must choose a door. If you make the right choice, you walk. But if you choose the wrong door, you’re condemned to a life sentence.

To help you decide, you can ask one of the guards one question. If your question is the right one, the guard’s answer will reveal the right door. What’s your question?

[quote=“Infidel”]joesax,

That’s great! Thanks for putting me out of my misery.
Here’s another one I remember…

You’re a prisoner in a cell. There are two doors. Outside each door is a guard. You know that one guard is scrupulously honest, and the other is an inveterate liar, but you don’t know which is which.

You are given a single chance of freedom. You must choose a door. If you make the right choice, you walk. But if you choose the wrong door, you’re condemned to a life sentence.

To help you decide, you can ask one of the guards one question. If your question is the right one, the guard’s answer will reveal the right door. What’s your question?[/quote]Hehe… I know a bunch of these ones, including probably that same one though stated in a different way. I’ll have to pass the torch on this for the moment though, as I have to go to bed now and won’t be back on Forumosa for a couple of days.