Help me with a project using MS Access

Is there anyone who might want to help me put together a relatively straight-forward medical database using MS Access?

I’ve never learned to develop or code Access dabases, but I do recognize it to be a standard and popular part of MS Office. My brother is doing his fellowship at a major teaching hospital in the US, and one of his responsibilities is to keep track of patient data for his department.

I have the data structure that he needs, but not the time or the skill to get this done right away.

An alternative to creating an MS Access database is to make a simple SQL website that is password protected (it’s patient data, after all). When my brother finishes his fellowship (very soon), he would train a nurse or clerical staff to administer the database. I could provide access to a MySQL server for you to play with.

Can you help me out? One benefit is that you could put a pretty recognizable US institution on your resume (not only would my brother be a good reference, but whoever he hands over to would certainly continue to be a reference)

If you are interested, and would like to learn more, please PM me, send e-mail to gus (at) forumosa.com or call/SMS 0952 948975

I’ll send you the data structure fields and the data choices of some of them)

Hopefully, this entire project would get done in a week, before15 April.

Cheers

gus.

i have quite a bit of working experience creating databases in MS-Access. I won’t do it for you, but if U have any technical issues or questions about doing it your self, I can try to help U wid it. i.e. issues with recordsets, unique ids, writing queries, etc.

The basic wizard in MS-Access should be good enough for what U want…

OK, thanks. I’ll give it a shot first, then

Something to watch out for is that Access breaks down if there are any more than 5 simultaneous hits. Its good for databases that are going to be run off of a single computer, or for prototyping, but its not really suitable if its going to be put on a network where several people are hitting it.

I don’t know if this applies to you, but if it does, you should consider MySQL.

Cheers. Can you recommend something that will allow me to make forms and reports for a MySQL database relatively easily?

Unless it’s already-made set up like phpBB, my experience fails me

The only thing I can think of is to do some programming for it. A few (web) php pages on some kind of Intranet might be your best bet.

Php is pretty easy to get the hang of. If you feel like rolling your sleeves up, I could try to give you guidance where I can. I’m afraid I don’t have the time to do any kind of project like this right now, but I might in the summer.

Has your brother considered trying to find volunteers in the States, at say a local school? This sounds like a good project for someone starting out that just needs to get that first project or two on his/her resume.

Gus,

Check out the software in download.com and search for mysql. There are some gui interfaces to mysql that allow you to manage it and do reports for it.

Mark

Thanks Mark

Can anyone recommend some MySQL GUI Interfaces? I’d like to avoid spending time trying out different ones from that search list.