Help shipping my dog from US to Taiwan!

Hi all,

I’m relocating to Taiwan next year (no firm date yet, but likely late spring or early autumn), and wanted to see if anyone had any experience shipping their pet to Taiwan from the US. I’ve been looking into pet relocation companies but they’re all asking for around $8500 and the reviews for all of them are so-so (I have a 14lb dog). Has anyone shipped their dog on their own recently or used Eva Air or China Airines to do so? The relocation companies are all suggesting I ship him via KLM to Amsterdam but I live in SF so that doesn’t make any sense to me.

Any recs or advice is welcome; thanks in advance!
J

I used a relocation service in 2020 and I believe it was around $8,000 but our dog transited through LAX.

Rabies are every year here instead of every three and you need a health check and then quarantine on arrival.

Thank you! Do you mind if I ask which service you went with?

That’s the going rate for one dog? And it’s just for the dog or with the rest of the relocation too? Either way… Jesus Christ. I knew it was expensive, but I didn’t realize it was that expensive!

I remember my sister paying 500 dollars per cat to have them shipped to Taiwan, but that was in 2002. I expect dogs to be more expensive especially if they are large.

I think it would be helpful to say how big the dog is.

I imagine all the health check, quarantine, etc. costs money. This is also why I suggested giving the dog to a temporary home rather than taking them with you.

At least the difference with children is you can take them with you without a huge amount of trouble…

I used a company called Aires they specialize in corporate moves.

I had to wait 6 months initially because of the rabies vaccine. He (my dog) had to retake the vaccine and get and antibody test. I paid for health check, vaccines myself. And this company covered the crate/transit/quarantine.

Thankfully the company paid but I remember it being the same price as the 20’ shipping container with all my stuff.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. My dog is small - 14 lbs. And he’s a senior dog, one I rescued from a shelter 10 years ago so his chances of getting re-adopted are low since he’s old. He was also abused at his previous home.

I’m moving permanently, not temporarily, to Taiwan so this would be a one-time move for him.