Help! Tax issues

Dear all,
I have a question regarding income tax. As I gathered from the forum, my understanding is that for any non-taiwanese that enters the country to work after July, he/she will be taxed 20% monthly on his/her monthly income. The tax should be refunded after the person has stayed in the country for more than 183 days.

Now, after calling in and visiting the tax revenue office, I get a totally different answer. The lady told me that I cannot get my tax refunded(for what has been deducted from July to December), because the 183 days is non-accumulative. (She meant it’s another taxation year as of Jan 05 and I cannot accumulate from Jul 04 to today). Therefore I HAVE NOT stayed in taiwan for 183 days and I CANNOT get my tax refunded.

AND she said I have to start all over again from Jan 01(the 183 days I mean). So I will still be taxed 20% all the way till middle of June and not have them refunded(the non-refundable amount includes the 183 days occurred during the previous year).

When she was talking, I was thinking " WHAT THE HELL" " YOU MUST BE F**KING KIDDING ME"

Is she right? If she is wrong then how should i go about getting my tax refunded from July 04 to today, and how do I change my tax to the normal 10% instead of the 20% that I am being taxed now. (By the way my company won’t freaking help me on this matter…)

So :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Thank you all very much

camille

[quote=“camille”]As I gathered from the forum, my understanding is that for any non-Taiwanese that enters the country to work after July, he/she will be taxed 20% monthly on his/her monthly income. The tax should be refunded after the person has stayed in the country for more than 183 days. [/quote]Your understanding is incorrect.

[quote=“camille”]Now, after calling in and visiting the tax revenue office, I get a totally different answer. The lady told me that I cannot get my tax refunded(for what has been deducted from July to December), because the 183 days is non-accumulative. (She meant it’s another taxation year as of Jan 05 and I cannot accumulate from Jul 04 to today). Therefore I have NOT stayed in Taiwan for 183 days and I cannot get my tax refunded. [/quote]The lady is correct.

[quote=“camille”]AND she said I have to start all over again from Jan 01(the 183 days I mean). So I will still be taxed 20% all the way till middle of June and not have them refunded(the non-refundable amount includes the 183 days occurred during the previous year). [/quote]I think that’s correct that you have to start again. But you WILL get a refund for over paid tax during the first half of THIS year (not last year). Only thing is, you’ll have to wait until tax returns are submitted early NEXT year and then a couple of months more before you actually get the money.

[quote=“camille”]…how do I change my tax to the normal 10% instead of the 20% that I am being taxed now. (By the way my company won’t freaking help me on this matter…[/quote]After this July the company should probably take less tax. The rate will be around 10% depending on how much you earn. They will probably over-estimate the tax rate slightly so you should get some refund on this as well next year.

I think the correct phrasing is:

“The tax should be refunded after the person has stayed in the country for more than 183 days within one calendar year [i.e. 01.01. - 31.12.].”