Help to look for flats in Tainan (NCKU student)

Hi there,
I am a new student in Tainan at NCKU and I am looking for a flat near the university, preferably with english-speaking flatmates (not matter the nationality). I am running into quite some trouble with finding landlords who would even answer my English messages. Anyone had similar experiences and can help me where to look (links, contacts…)?
Best wishes!

Try Facebook Rental Groups. There should be one for Tainan.

Try a rental agent. Not sure which ones are popular in Tainan.

If Mandarin is needed, get a friend to help you out? Ask your employer/university for help?

A lot of the real estate agents might be able to help.

You might try posting an ad looking for flatmates, such as near the Chinese Language Centre (Xiu Qi building, Kuang-Fu campus, 3rd floor). There are bulletin boards on that floor and you might catch the attention of other international students or friendly locals willing to help.

Cheap accomodations can also be found using real estate agents. I’ve had luck with 林媽媽 林媽媽租屋::租屋,台南租屋,臺南租屋 . I recall that an agent could communicate well in English, and there were bilingual listings (not that you’d guess by the website).

Do not go looking for places on your own. Bring a witness, a local. Ask in your university if someone is willing to help in exchange for language lessons/homework help/coffee whatever.

Yes, you are an adult. But not only it is dealing with a different culture in a different language, but also getting an apartment/room these days -due to the pandemic- is harder than usual.

So, aside from the usual advice- do not live with the landlord, shared utilities are a red flag, don’t sign anything you don’t understand, bring witnesses never pay more than two months deposit- you must also face a bit of distrust.