Help wiring timer relay

I need some advise on how to wire this timer relay.

Basically I need to be able to turn on the device (via a doorbell switch, which will turn on the contactor and activate the timer) and the device stays on until the timer I set on the face runs out, then it turns off.

This is for a IR lamp so as you can see it’s required for safety.

I’m a little confused about the diagram, and I don’t want to make a mistake and start a fire…

No schematics?

Sorry I forgot…

There is a NC and NO side. I am confused which is which (is NO means it is off until timer runs out and NC is on until timer runs out??

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks for the response.

I got it to work.

It’s basically a IR flash unit for curing T shirts. The IR lamp is 4000w total, so no way any timer switch can handle the juice required. Those mechanical thing found on ovens could handle like 7 amp at most.

So after messing around with my milling machine’s magnetic contactor (spoiler: it was a pain, involving a lot of blown fuses and headache), I got a few left over. So I decided to use one of them as a relay for the IR flash dryer.

Now I just set the timer to whatever time I want, press the door bell button, and the IR heater turns on until the timer runs out.

I could add a temperature switch (or maybe a dimmer switch type thing), and a lever switch on the front of the unit, so when a pallet swings under the IR dryer, it turns on for a set time.

I’ll need to wire in a E stop button too. I found out there’s no way to turn it off early at all, even moving the dial while the timer is running did nothing. I need a NC switch for this.