Help with computer display problem?

Suddenly, it’s as if my entire display has been enlarged, and my screen is only capturing the center portion, with the right and left sides lopped off (the top and bottom are normal). I don’t believe it’s a monitor problem, as the monitor control menus are displaying normally. I don’t think it’s my OS (Linux Mint) as it’s already occurring at startup on the BIOS screen. Changing the resolution, plugging/unplugging the HDMI cable and nothing else I can think of works. I’m using the motherboard onboard graphics. Any insights?

That might be a zoom for disabled / accessibility or something. Will check and tell you.

Looks like the Zoom Desktop Effect, strange that the zoom stays in effect after rebooting (but it does, I tried it). It’s not Ctrl± that zooms it back out, but Meta± by default (Meta is the Windows key) - Meta+= zooms in (which is what you must have hit by accident, and Meta+0 that resets it. You can disable this by going into Systems Settings, (Workspace) Desktop Behavior, Desktop Effects, and unchecking Zoom under Accessibility (last option in first group). While it is set, you can see the options (shortcuts, etc.) for this by clicking on the settings Icon (on the right, middle Icon).
Computer screen is zoomed in - Linux Mint Forums

@tempogain @tempogain @tempogain @tempogain @tempogain

I don’t think this is it. I’m using Cinnamon, not KDE, and these instructions don’t seem to apply. Also, it’s even happening at startup in a non Linux screen

I don’t know what a “non linux screen is”. But… have you tried it?

Yes, thanks. I mean the BIOS type screen at startup (mine says American Megatrends or something.) This shouldn’t be affected by anything happening in my OS, right?

Yeah, it shouldn’t be affected. However those are usually lo resolution, big letters crap.

Can you post here your display’s brand and model?

But it’s clearly been lopped off at the sides, like everything else.

Have you tried to ogl it ? :hugs:sorry I couldn’t resist . Poor TG :smirk:

1 Like

Can you tell us which display looks closer to yours?

2 Likes

Check your monitor/tv for a setting called Overscan.

1 Like

Cheers, found a setting called “Wide” that was set to “Stretch” for some reason. All is well

2 Likes

Happened to me once or twice when my TV lost power, 2 year old child likes to plug and unplug things.

1 Like

It must have been affecting your political imagination too :thinking::stuck_out_tongue:

If only there were a simple setting to exclude some obvious and highly annoying problems in that area :slight_smile:

For our clients there is, pick up phone and call IT