HESS hiring process

Hello I’m new to the forum.

I would like to know what the probability is of a South African getting hired by HESS education. I’m a non European.

I am a qualified educator in South Africa who has a teaching license. I have a PGCE and a BCom. I also completed a TEFL course.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I’m a non European

What do you mean by this?

1 Like

Not white

Hess doesn’t discriminate as much as some of the other guys when it comes to the color of your skin or your nationality. Their main concern is that you have a degree and that you are a native speaker of English.

Why set the bar low at Hess? If you have a teaching credential from your home country, why not apply to one of the public schools?

1 Like

Thanks for the information

I’m inexperienced so I assumed I’d stand a better chance at HESS😅

Hess is happy to take a newbie. A lot of teachers use Hess to get their foot in the door since they’re more likely to hire people who’ve never taught before. They do their first year or two at Hess to get experience, then use that as a stepping stone to move on to something better.

Oh, that must mean a higher turn over rate. Have you worked for the company? What’s the best time to apply? It’s my understanding that the company has 3 hiring periods.

Yeah, I was going to say something like this.

I think the two prime times for hiring are in the summertime before the school year begins, and right before Chinese New Year/the beginning of the next semester. A lot of people bolt partway through their contract because it’s their first time living and working abroad, they realize they just can’t hack it, and head home. So they’re always looking for new teachers to fill those spots that are vacated at odd times, too. This is true for a lot of foreign teaching positions, not just Hess.

Hess isn’t the absolute worst, but some people are unlucky and get landed at a shitty branch with shitty management. So some teachers leave for that reason, too. If you can tough it out with them, or any school, for one year, more doors open to you. As a newcomer you just need to prove to potential employers that you have staying power.

From my understanding is that each Hess branch is different. Some are nightmares and would discriminate and some are pretty good to the teachers.

Thank you

I’m going to apply soon.

I did volunteer at a public high school in SA. I don’t have experience in teaching languages. I taught 5 different subjects. A kid stabbed another with a can opener. I hope the kids are not as violent as this.

How do the contracts work?

Good luck.

May I suggest printing a bunch of resumes and walking into a bunch of buxibans to hand off your resume. This has brought the best results for me, people usually feel positive about someone who does that. Lots of people email, but having someone hand a physical copy feels right.

This is a great strategy for direct marketing. I’ll give it a go next year. I’ve done that in schools in South Africa it does allow you good practice even if you aren’t successful in acquiring the job.

Also 600 a hour is the min if no one told you yet. Don’t take anyless. Try to get at least 650 if possible.

Need to up my negotiation skills. Thank you so much for the information.

Oh dear…Taiwanese kids are generally not that violent, you can rest assured.

That’s a relief.