HEY! Go-Karting is AWESOME! (Free ride from Taipei offered)

This must be the 3rd or 4th thread I’ve made about this (over the course of 2 years) and I’ve only gotten two or three people to come try it from this forum.

Go-Karting in Hsinchu county is FUN. I made a video of it…so you can see for yourself.

You can take the costal road to get to this track…or the great number 3 road. So it doesn’t matter if you live in Taipei or Taichung…it isn’t that far. Even if you ride a scooter the costal road is nice enough that the travel time isn’t that bad.

MORDETH GO-KARTING IN JHU-NAN (just south of Hsinhcu): livevideo.com/video/096D77C1 … cing-.aspx <— if the video freezes…you just pause it and wait for it to load for a bit…then unpause. You can also make your browser window smaller to make the picture clearer.

We need to organize a race day. We can have qualifying laps…and then timed races with print-outs…etc. I’ll win in the end…but it will still be fun seeing who places 2nd, 3rd…etc. :smiling_imp: :wink:

@12… on eof the few people on this track faster than me… love it

I was kicking ass. I thought it was 12…but it was actually number 18 as you see later in the vid. He’s quick.

And for those of you that think Go-Karts aren’t exciting enough. You can try their Pro-Karts. They cost three times as much money to ride one…but they are
FUN
. And dangerous…there have been a few serious injuries on the Pro-Karts.

MORDETH ON A “PRO” KART:

http://www.youtube.com/v/L8C_MRFlhZ8

hey looks good.

When you next planning on going?

[quote=“StuartCa”]hey looks good.

When you next planning on going?[/quote]

I go every Sunday. I got a bit bored of the regular Karts once I got good at them. But it will take me awhile to master the Pro Kart (if I ever do) so I’ll be there every Sunday working on my karting skills.

I made a video of the directions (see how thoughtful I am?) give me a while (I’m uploading something else now) and I’ll post it up.

How did you mount your camera? What did you use?
That pro kart was fast!! Looks like heaps of fun.

There’s a kart track over this way (in Shimen area I think, you know, that dam).
They had some kids karts as well as some faster ones. But I don’t think they were as fast as that pro kart. I raced there with my buddy, but he went back to Canada, so I’m without a race buddy now.

[quote=“TaiwanPsycho”] There’s a kart track over this way (in Shimen area I think, you know, that dam).
They had some kids karts as well as some faster ones. But I don’t think they were as fast as that pro kart. I raced there with my buddy, but he went back to Canada, so I’m without a race buddy now.[/quote]

I’ve been to the kart track that you are talking about… I didn’t like it at all. Too slow, too many turns…and the tires are too hard. I got motion sickness and was sick for an hour after riding them. No exaggeration. Felt like riding in a tight circle for ten minutes straight…that course does not even compare with the one in Jhu-nan. So if you liked the Shrmen karts…you’ll love the Jhu-nan ones. I’m uploading the video directions now. I’ll post them up once done.

They are predicting afternoon showers for this upcoming Sunday. Weather should be fine in the morning. MJB, Ratlung, and Ratbrain…will probably show some interest. Ratlung is fast. And Ratbrain is a girl who doesn’t crash too often :bravo: . Also if Andre is still on these forums, he was wicked good at them.

Yeah, you’re right. Heaps of turns there. My arms and hands were burning after I raced. Then I had to ride home! I took a 10~15min break before getting on the scooter.

So, how did you mount your cam? :wink: What camera did you use?

[quote=“TaiwanPsycho”]Yeah, you’re right. Heaps of turns there. My arms and hands were burning after I raced. Then I had to ride home! I took a 10~15min break before getting on the scooter.

So, how did you mount your cam? :wink: What camera did you use?[/quote]

Trade secret my friend. As far as I know I’m the only person to use my particular method. I’ve never seen another vid like mine where you can see what I see…and hear what I say…with little wind noise. But don’t worry, if you go Karting with me you’ll see for yourself first hand. :wink:

Oh and you can expect to be more sore at the Jhu-nan karts than from riding at the Shrmen karts…due to the greater speeds involved.

I’m sold. I’ll have to take a day off from choking people one day and make a trip out there.

Sounds like a blast! :slight_smile:

Oh, and cool new avater you have there, mate! :wink:

Dragonbabe took one look at it and said she would probably have nightmares! :laughing:

How much is it? I’m a cheap bastard and as long as it doesn’t break the bank I’m well up for it.

It’s 200nt for the normal karts they reach speeds of about 70km/hr without exaggeration. And the pro kart’s top speed is a bit faster…but their acceleration is incredible…plus they have expensive sticky tires on them. So you can make 90 degree turns at 70km/hr. Pro Karts are 600nt…but you’ll need to be good at the norm karts before thinking of trying the Pro.

The Pro Kart was so intense that I was having coughing fits…on every corner and during hard acceleration. Why? Because the G-forces involved were so great that I think they were pushing against the walls of my lungs. I didn’t have a cold…and I don’t normally cough…but push down on the accelerator and I was thrown back in the seat and I’d start coughing. Not so much the 2nd time…I think my body learned how to brace itself.

Anyway here are the directions for scooter or bike:

Directions coming from Hsinchu (Xinzhu) or anywhere north of there:

Head over to the West Costal Highway (number 61) go south. (This road is very enjoyable and has little traffic. Alot of speed traps so stick to the speed limit. This trip takes a little under an hour from Jung-li, but would be a fun ride even for people from Taipei or Taichung.)

South of Hsinchu (Xinzhu) you will come to a rest area on the right hand side with 2 large flags and a parking area along the road…impossible to miss.

Continue on to the next big intersection with a 4-lane road with divider to the left. There will be signs saying that the #3(or maybe the 1) Highway entrance is to the left. Go left on that intersection over a small bridge that has gas stations on either side of it then take the first right which is the #13.

Continue along the #13 to the second 7-11 on the right hand side (about 4 minutes up the road). Turn right into the smaller street directly beside the 7-11.

Then follow the street beside the 7-11 to a right hand turn with a green sign with RKS on it and an arrow pointing right. You turn right onto that then the first right after that (which will also have a sign)…follow that to the end and then a quick left, right…then up a hill to the track.

So in brief…at the 2nd 7-11. Right, right, go straight…then left, right up the hill.

From the two big flags at the beach stop area…it’s only about another 5-10 minutes to the track.

If heading from the SOUTH (Taichung…etc.)
You could just head north on the Costal Highway until you reach the “2 FLAG” rest area. Then make a U-turn and follow the directions from there.

VIDEO DIRECTIONS OF THE ABOVE:

From the “two flag rest area” to the 13 (PART 1): youtube.com/v/ZET4i3U7wuM

On the 13 near the 2nd 7-11 to the Kart track (PART2): youtube.com/v/TR5nfx3U4Lw

If taking a car.
Just take the 1 Highway and get off in Jhunan and find the #13 road and then look for the 7-11 on that road. There are only 3…you want the one in the video…it’s near some idustrial park. Or just ask any young guys for the “small car racing place” .

They open at 10:30…and I’m usually there shortly after that. But if you’re going let me know for sure…because I might not go otherwise…I’m a bit broke recently.

you strapped th acamera on your head like a miner light didnt you? :laughing:
Omigod that looks fun!!! do you crash lots? vrrmm !!! :rainbow:

[quote=“delieadalish”]you strapped th acamera on your head like a miner light didnt you? :laughing:
Omigod that looks fun!!! do you crash lots? vrrmm !!! :rainbow:[/quote]

Nope, that would actually look cooler than what I did.

Did you have it strapped to your chest or something? The procart one looks like they stuck the guy in Doom in a cart and let him go. I kept waiting for the hands to reach down and come up with the plasma cannon or something.

Do you get a sore arse?

[quote=“sandman”]Did you have it strapped to your chest or something? The procart one looks like they stuck the guy in Doom in a cart and let him go. I kept waiting for the hands to reach down and come up with the plasma cannon or something.

Do you get a sore arse?[/quote]

Hehe, yeah…I’ve been thinking about making some First Person vids. Like a First Person ninja vid where I run around with nunchucks…climbing up walls and stuff…since my hands are free…hmmm…I’m still working on the idea. I have one really good idea right now…I have two “directors” (one is a video editor for FOX in America…no joke) that have offered to help me with it.

Anyway. Yeah, I’m still bruised on my butt from Sunday and I’m somewhat used to it. Once I went there and I was sore for a solid month…felt like I bruised some ribs. But they have pillows you can use for the normal karts and a life vest type rib protector for the racing karts…I always use a pillow or protection now…and the regulars make fun of me because they don’t.

I like your avatar, mordeth. Can you ride these carts with an international licence? Do they need to hold onto your documents in case you crash and burn or something like that?

Damn, that looks like a lot of fun. What other safety type gear would you recommend? Full face helmet, gloves, padded bike shorts under your jeans?

Looks like fuuuuuuunnnnnnn!

NT$200?! For how long? I used to pay something like NT$600/10 minutes for shitty UK indoor carting. My truck drinks juice like there’s no tomorrow so I’m more worried about the cost of getting there and back now. I’ve only just got back to Taiwan so this weekend is a no go but next weekend could be good. I’ll PM you as far in advance as possible.

[quote=“Mordeth”]It’s 200nt for the normal karts they reach speeds of about 70km/hr without exaggeration. And the pro kart’s top speed is a bit faster…but their acceleration is incredible…plus they have expensive sticky tires on them. So you can make 90 degree turns at 70km/hr. Pro Karts are 600nt…but you’ll need to be good at the norm karts before thinking of trying the Pro.

The Pro Kart was so intense that I was having coughing fits…on every corner and during hard acceleration. Why? Because the G-forces involved were so great that I think they were pushing against the walls of my lungs. I didn’t have a cold…and I don’t normally cough…but push down on the accelerator and I was thrown back in the seat and I’d start coughing. Not so much the 2nd time…I think my body learned how to brace itself.[/quote]

Llary, you should try Rosso’s place up on Dadushan sometime. It’s well run and the carts are in pretty good condition. You definitely get that burn in the arms after a couple of sessions!