Hey, white guy on the bike! Come pray with us

[quote=“joesax”]I’m not a Christian but I have a lot of respect for Christians as well as followers of all the main religious traditions. I have studied a number of religions from the academic perspective, and more than one from the “participant-observer” perspective.
[/quote]

Academia is the antithesis of religion.

As for the religious perspective, as a Christian I’m guided by one simple question, what would Jesus do? Having eaten with publicans and sinners(Matthew 9 : 10), I doubt he would have declined an invitation from Buddhists.

Hi, hows it going? (now you can say a black lady and a white guy)

"Fo’ Shizzle. Yea, Mormons aren’t too keen on black folk. "

I beg to differ. I have had many many friends all throughout my life who were black, hispanic, asian, european, mideastern, and white. I have known and been friends with many LDS members who are black. I find your comment to be pretty naive.

Little known fact: The LDS population is growing faster outside the US than it is inside the US…with latin and south america growing the fastest. It is a religion that has a lot of cultural diversity and also teaches cultural respect and appreciation. I think a lot can be learned there.

(Taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly) ok, im done.

I think the Cajun in me makes me wary of religions I don’t know. I’m afraid you’re gonna wake up tomorrow with a strange ability to speak French…

I beg to differ. I have had many many friends all throughout my life who were black, hispanic, Asian, European, mideastern, and white. I have known and been friends with many LDS members who are black. I find your comment to be pretty naive.

Little known fact: The LDS population is growing faster outside the US than it is inside the US…with latin and south America growing the fastest. It is a religion that has a lot of cultural diversity and also teaches cultural respect and appreciation. I think a lot can be learned there.

(Taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly) ok, im done.[/quote]

Well you are a rare one indeed. The only other LDS members I can recall, including you, was in HK who was generous with his hellos and a lady in Utah who’s husband(he wasn’t to friendly) helped me (and over charged me ) for a tire when I got a flat while moving back to Chicago. Outside of that, I would say all the LDS members I have encountered here and in Japan have actively ignored me when they saw me. In fact, one in Japan refused to shake my hand. :astonished: Whatever :unamused:

I don’t know what is taught in LDS about other religions/races/creeds. But I will say that their missonaries do represent the face of the religion and if this is the impression they give off then I think someone would have the ‘right’ to make such an conculsion.

Well, what did you expect? You know they would would’ve been a lot nicer if your mob had’ve taken a little more care of those golden tablets. :unamused:

But I really don’t get it. How come black people are a cursed race but coffee and cream is okay? Why Samoans and South Americans but not African Americans? :s

HG

Ahem…

:threadjacked:

I beg to differ. I have had many many friends all throughout my life who were black, hispanic, Asian, European, mideastern, and white. I have known and been friends with many LDS members who are black. I find your comment to be pretty naive.

Little known fact: The LDS population is growing faster outside the US than it is inside the US…with latin and south America growing the fastest. It is a religion that has a lot of cultural diversity and also teaches cultural respect and appreciation. I think a lot can be learned there.

(Taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly) ok, im done.[/quote]

Well you are a rare one indeed. The only other LDS members I can recall, including you, was in HK who was generous with his hellos and a lady in Utah who’s husband(he wasn’t to friendly) helped me (and over charged me ) for a tire when I got a flat while moving back to Chicago. Outside of that, I would say all the LDS members I have encountered here and in Japan have actively ignored me when they saw me. In fact, one in Japan refused to shake my hand. :astonished: Whatever :unamused:

I don’t know what is taught in LDS about other religions/races/creeds. But I will say that their missonaries do represent the face of the religion and if this is the impression they give off then I think someone would have the ‘right’ to make such an conculsion.[/quote]

For real? In Japan? That is messed up. I never went on a mission. Was kind of black listed by other members my own age for that. It took me a while to realize that the “young” tend to be naive about a lot of things… and anyone can be a jack ass…its not to hard to do. But generalizing and entire faith group because of a few individuals isnt fair. Just keep in mind that those missionaries…(they are 19 year olds for petes sake!)…a lot of growing up to do…and many come from back woods USA where family life may not reflect the same teachings of racial tolerance and respect that the LDS doctorine really does teach and expect from its members.

Sorry for jacking this thread but i just wanted to comment. Not trying to convert or anything, your religion, faith, beliefs, superstitions, etc are completely up to you. I actually have not been active for about 4 years. In my travels I have seen truth in people from other faiths and religious backgrounds around the world. IMHO the almighty resides in the hearts of everyone who shows and seeks compassion. I cant speak for the masses and I wont attempt to, but from this guy (me, myself, and I) I apologize for the actions of a few ignorant teenagers who treated you like crap.

Oh Mod,

Please smite these off-topic posts. Keep them unto themselves, and show my forumosa brethren the true path of this thread.

Amen.

:pray:

Yawn.

This isn’t a discussion on race and religion. I related a story about how I was out cycling and got invited to participate in a Buddhist bai bai, everyone is free to comment on that; however, we are now up to two pages of African-Americans vs Mormons. A completely different topic, and one, I would suggest, worthy of its own thread.

Even this white Canadian Anglican could add something to that topic, but I’m not going to highjack my own thread.

I’m amazed you can type while you have a Cajun in you, but he shouldn’t have such an influence on your religious beliefs, methinks.

I’m sure it’s just a matter of keyboard positioning and cooperation.

Sometimes it’s good to get into another culture. If you have no religious qualms about participating in someone else’s religious ceremonies, I’m sure it can be an enlightening experience.

No matter what religion or philosophy you subscribe to, learning about other people’s beliefs is a healthy thing. I’m glad you had such a positive experience Dr. Z.

That wasn’t a Buddhist ceremony Dr. Zoidberg – you were being “married” to the ghost of a dead girl. It’s a Daoist thing. Don’t worry about it. Probably nothing will happen to you. The reason they chose you was that understandably, most local lads wouldn’t be too keen on such a union. There are people who make themselves available for such ceremonies, but they usually cost a hell of a lot more than just a lunch.
Pretty cool experience, though.

[quote=“sandman”]That wasn’t a Buddhist ceremony Dr. Zoidberg – you were being “married” to the ghost of a dead girl. It’s a Daoist thing. Don’t worry about it. Probably nothing will happen to you. The reason they chose you was that understandably, most local lads wouldn’t be too keen on such a union. There are people who make themselves available for such ceremonies, but they usually cost a hell of a lot more than just a lunch.
Pretty cool experience, though.[/quote]

Oh my god, if that’s for real, then what was the purpose? Why do they do that? And isn’t that pretty forward for them. Hmm, now waiguorens can marry in the afterlife also. :slight_smile:

Sandman… tell us more about this ceremony. How do you know it’s a Daoist thing? I’m not challenging you if you have solved the riddle, just tell us the whole story or give us a link. My guess was that it was some sort of White Lotus sect evangelism… just a guess.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“sandman”]That wasn’t a Buddhist ceremony Dr. Zoidberg – you were being “married” to the ghost of a dead girl. It’s a Daoist thing. Don’t worry about it. Probably nothing will happen to you. The reason they chose you was that understandably, most local lads wouldn’t be too keen on such a union. There are people who make themselves available for such ceremonies, but they usually cost a hell of a lot more than just a lunch.

Oh my god, if that’s for real, then what was the purpose? Why do they do that? And isn’t that pretty forward for them.[/quote]
Oh, it’s for real, all right. The purpose being to get the girl – or rather, her spirit – outta the house and their hair. Just like a real marriage, in other words. Forward? Or opportunistic? You be the judge. Ceremonies like that (except with a willing participant rather than a passing unknowing stranger) tend to cost upwards of NT$50K, sometimes much much more.
They got rid of their dead kid’s spirit dead cheap, even if the “husband” is just an adogah.

Sorry, I can’t really tell you any more than I already did. All I know for sure is that it’s Daoist, not Buddhist, and that the spirit of a dead unmarried female has to be got out of the family house by a “marriage.” I’d be interested to hear more about this white lotus sect thing, though. I got the info from a friend, and it was backed independently by a couple of colleagues at work (I take very little on trust), so although I can’t give you a link, I don’t have any reason to think its not true, or at least based on truth.

I hear the sex is always out of this world, though.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“sandman”]That wasn’t a Buddhist ceremony Dr. Zoidberg – you were being “married” to the ghost of a dead girl. It’s a Daoist thing. Don’t worry about it. Probably nothing will happen to you. The reason they chose you was that understandably, most local lads wouldn’t be too keen on such a union. There are people who make themselves available for such ceremonies, but they usually cost a hell of a lot more than just a lunch.

Oh my god, if that’s for real, then what was the purpose? Why do they do that? And isn’t that pretty forward for them.[/quote]
Oh, it’s for real, all right. The purpose being to get the girl – or rather, her spirit – outta the house and their hair. Just like a real marriage, in other words. Forward? Or opportunistic? You be the judge. Ceremonies like that (except with a willing participant rather than a passing unknowing stranger) tend to cost upwards of NT$50K, sometimes much much more.
They got rid of their dead kid’s spirit dead cheap, even if the “husband” is just an adogah.[/quote]

I’m not inclined to be superstitious, but I do believe in the afterlife and certain aspects about dealing with spirits and what not so I would err on cautious side if things in the OP’s life start to alter.