Hey, white guy on the bike! Come pray with us

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“sandman”]That wasn’t a Buddhist ceremony Dr. Zoidberg – you were being “married” to the ghost of a dead girl. It’s a Daoist thing. Don’t worry about it. Probably nothing will happen to you. The reason they chose you was that understandably, most local lads wouldn’t be too keen on such a union. There are people who make themselves available for such ceremonies, but they usually cost a hell of a lot more than just a lunch.
Pretty cool experience, though.[/quote]

Oh my god, if that’s for real, then what was the purpose? Why do they do that? And isn’t that pretty forward for them. Hmm, now waiguorens can marry in the afterlife also. :slight_smile:[/quote]

If you’re really interested, check out The Haunting Fetus, by Marc L. Moskowitz. Very interesting book. Explains a number of local superstitions related to marriage, abortion, and sexuality. I boughy my copy at Eslite. You can also find it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0824824288/sr=1-1/qid=1138964594/ref=sr_1_1/104-7367488-2756707?%5Fencoding=UTF8.

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“sandman”]That wasn’t a Buddhist ceremony Dr. Zoidberg – you were being “married” to the ghost of a dead girl. It’s a Daoist thing. Don’t worry about it. Probably nothing will happen to you. The reason they chose you was that understandably, most local lads wouldn’t be too keen on such a union. There are people who make themselves available for such ceremonies, but they usually cost a hell of a lot more than just a lunch.

Oh my god, if that’s for real, then what was the purpose? Why do they do that? And isn’t that pretty forward for them. Hmm, now waiguorens can marry in the afterlife also. :slight_smile:[/quote]

If you’re really interested, check out The Haunting Fetus, by Marc L. Moskowitz. Very interesting book. Explains a number of local superstitions related to marriage, abortion, and sexuality. I boughy my copy at Eslite. You can also find it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0824824288/sr=1-1/qid=1138964594/ref=sr_1_1/104-7367488-2756707?%5Fencoding=UTF8.[/quote]

Off topic–But this book talks about Taiwanese spirituality?

My wife is Daoist, so naturally I ran some details of Dr Z’s story by her in hopes of getting a better idea of what religion this is, and what transpired. I also have some links for info about Yi1 Guan4 Dao4, formerly known as White Lotus, because to me it’s beginning to seem likely that it could have been them that the good doctor ran into. Here’s what I found.

1. My brother-in-law was invited by some Yi1 Guan4 Dao4 acquaintances tp come and pray with them, and after a ceremony which sounded very similar to what Dr Z described, he was asked to say the final few words which would have converted him. He’s a devout Daoist, so he declined.
  2. My wife says that a Daoist priest would not wear a white robe, and that white garments are an Yi1 Guan4 Dao4 symbol. Our next door neighbor is Yi1 Guan4 Dao4, and he always wears a white button-down shirt, which is fairly common.
  3. Yi1 Guan4 Dao4 practices strict vegetarianism, though in Taiwan for some reason, followers are allowed to eat eggs, so it’s often referred to here as “ya1 dan4 jiao4” or “duck-egg religion”. So… if Dr Z did have fish during the meal, then that makes it more likely his hosts were Daoists.
  4. I asked my wife about Daoist “ghost marriages”, and here are two little details about those.
    a) Often the family with the dead daughter that needs to be married off will leave an empty hong2 bao1 lying in the road, and whoever picks it up is instantly “mr right”: fate has decreed him to marry the daughter.
    b) Usually there is a lot of post-nuptual “bai bai” that needs to be done by the groom and family, and a wooden tablet from the family altar with the daughter’s name is given to the groom for this purpose. Apparently, there are exceptions to this though, so arrangements might have been made with the household gods beforehand to forgo the tablets and all the “bai bai”.

Here’s a link in English that’s sort of a “who we are” intro to Yi1 Guan4 Dao4: with.org/english.htm

This one is in Chinese:
flyyoung.org/info/Bible/apology/dau00.html

Lastly, this guy left the religion after ten years and wrote about it: bodhiroad.idv.tw/right28.htm

Interesting mystery!

I’m not so sure it was a Daoist thing, Sandman. The only god on display was Buddha. The meal afterwards was vegetarian, the one woman who knew a little English made a point of telling me. The reason I think it was a baptism (for want of a better word) is that they gave me a laminated card. The back of it has my name and a lot of Chinese writing, the front has a picture of Buddha and some Chinese writing. I’ll show it to my employer on Monday and report back.

Or is this the marriage certificate and who I think is Buddha is actually my ghost bride? :help: The joke’s on them though, the marriage isn’t legal because I have yet to entirely get rid of wife #1.

If it turns out to be a ghost wedding, you can bet I’ll be knocking at the door looking for my hong bao.

[quote=“Namahottie”]
I’m not inclined to be superstitious, but I do believe in the afterlife and certain aspects about dealing with spirits and what not so I would err on cautious side if things in the OP’s life start to alter.[/quote]

Hmmmm…it’s funny you should say that. I was out for a bike ride today and got hit by a car. Fortunately, I saw him coming and made sure I threw myself onto the hood, rather than allow myself to get knocked onto the road. I’m unharmed, but the rear wheel of my bike was badly bent (pics will be included in my next yahoo photos update - 02/06). I figured about 500 for a new wheel rim (turned out to be 450), so when he handed me three thousand I pocketed it, afterall I had to carry the bike the three kilometers from Wuchi to Cin Shuei.

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]

[quote=“Namahottie”]
I’m not inclined to be superstitious, but I do believe in the afterlife and certain aspects about dealing with spirits and what not so I would err on cautious side if things in the OP’s life start to alter.[/quote]

Hmmmm…it’s funny you should say that. I was out for a bike ride today and got hit by a car. Fortunately, I saw him coming and made sure I threw myself onto the hood, rather than allow myself to get knocked onto the road. I’m unharmed, but the rear wheel of my bike was badly bent (pics will be included in my next yahoo photos update - 02/06). I figured about 500 for a new wheel rim (turned out to be 450), so when he handed me three thousand I pocketed it, afterall I had to carry the bike the three kilometers from Wuchi to Qingshui.[/quote]

Well, It’s taiwan, so that could happen to anyone. What I meant was if you start feeling things ‘off’ lets say in your marriage, with people around you or with yourself. If the car thing is something that raises your brow, then I would highly suggest getting to see someone who works with afterlife. It may sound funny, but there are reasons as to why exorcisms are still done today.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“sandman”]That wasn’t a Buddhist ceremony Dr. Zoidberg – you were being “married” to the ghost of a dead girl. It’s a Daoist thing. Don’t worry about it. Probably nothing will happen to you. The reason they chose you was that understandably, most local lads wouldn’t be too keen on such a union. There are people who make themselves available for such ceremonies, but they usually cost a hell of a lot more than just a lunch.

I’ve read several folk tales on the subject. If this is the same ceremony then you just got yourself a Chinese wife.

In some of the stories the living and dead even have children.

Wow, congratulations Dr. Z! You may even be the subject of future classical Chinese literature!

[quote=“Namahottie”]
I would highly suggest getting to see someone who works with afterlife. It may sound funny.[/quote]

Someone who does what with what? It sounds bloody funny what are you on about?

OP why don’t you go back with a Taiwanese person and try to get some cash off them? You may not have been hoodooed, but you sure were conned.

A kid died, and this is how they grieve. Is there hope for these people?

I showed the “membership” card to my employer this afternoon. He said, “It’s a group Taiwanese are careful about. They are like Mormons, always trying to get people to join them.”

So it appears to be the White Lotus cult afterall. A round of applause for Salvatore Armani. :bravo:

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]I showed the “membership” card to my employer this afternoon. He said, “It’s a group Taiwanese are careful about. They are like Mormons, always trying to get people to join them.”

So it appears to be the White Lotus cult afterall. A round of applause for Salvatore Armani. :bravo:[/quote]Right. Yiguandao followers are vegetarians, and I believe they use some Buddhist-style iconography.

Dr Z, I think that it’s a good thing to be able to discuss the wider issues raised by this. But I also understand your frustration at what you saw as your thread being “hijacked”. However, I hope you won’t mind if I respond to your comments to me.

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]Academia is the antithesis of religion.[/quote]I am disinclined to talk about my religious commitment in public but suffice to say that it means far more to me than mere academic interest.

Nevertheless, you may be underestimating the power of rigorous study and critical thought in religious practice. Actually, there is an element of study to serious practice and contemplation within every religion. And while sometimes academic study of religion is ill-informed and lopsided, it can also be a complement to religious faith. At university I was lucky enough to study under some leading scholars in Hinduism and other religious traditions. Many of them were practioners of those particular religions. The others at least had a lot of respect for the things they talked about.

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]As for the religious perspective, as a Christian I’m guided by one simple question, what would Jesus do? Having eaten with publicans and sinners(Matthew 9 : 10), I doubt he would have declined an invitation from Buddhists.[/quote]Well, the group you encountered weren’t Buddhists, were they? But anyway, I don’t think that any major religion forbids its followers from dining with non-believers or followers of other faiths!

Let’s go back to what I said. It was meant as a general comment to no-one in particular. I said that people should exercise some caution and learn about religious traditions, groups and individual religious leaders before actively participating in their ceremonies and especially before undertaking any kind of formal commitment. I am not sure how this came to be construed as religious bigotry. To me it seems like common sense, but if anyone is interested in the specific reasons for this recommendation, they can PM me.

But what about the vivid wet dreams?
:laughing: :laughing:
HG

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]

With the women’s service over, the stools were put away, candles extinguished, email addresses exchanged, and everyone adjourned to the main floor for lunch.

We had a very nice lunch of noodles, fish, tofu, vegetables, and soup. [/quote]

My, what some waigourens would do for a free meal! :bravo: :smiley:

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]But what about the vivid wet dreams?
:laughing: :laughing:
HG[/quote]

Not since I was 16. :astonished:

[quote=“TaiwanSaffies”][quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]

With the women’s service over, the stools were put away, candles extinguished, email addresses exchanged, and everyone adjourned to the main floor for lunch.

My, what some waigourens would do for a free meal! :bravo: :smiley:[/quote]

AND I’D DO IT AGAIN! :cookie:

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”][quote=“TaiwanSaffies”][quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]

My, what some waigourens would do for a free meal! :bravo: :smiley:[/quote]

AND I’d DO IT AGAIN! :cookie:[/quote]

I rest my case! :bravo:

Good on you mate! Last I heard, one could ony get married ONCE in Taiwan! Even if YOU’RE a Daoist :laughing:

This topic is a bit out of date, but I just noticed it when searching for something.

I’m 99% sure this was an Yi Guan Dao conversion ceremony. The tell-tale sign was when the priest pressed his thumb against your forehead. That was him opening your heavenly portal. Now when you die, your spirit will ascend directly to heaven rather than be reincarnated (as would happen ifit had to leave from another part of your body).

I know this because I also got accidentally converted to Yiguandao, many years ago, back in NZ. Your ceremony sounds much liek mine, except we had some English translated talks as well. They should alsop have you taught you the three treasures - a secret phrase, a secret hand symbol and a secret something else.

Brian

So if I have understood correctly Dr Zoidberg is now a Duck Egg? Does that automatically give Derek ownership rights?

I heard duck…I heard Derek…So I came running! I only want ownership rights if said Dr. can do all my mandarin homework for me and prepare my lesson plans, all the while being able to cook filling delicious meals. :sunglasses:

Thanks BuLaiEn for bumping this back up. I loved this story the first time, and I loved reading it again!

As for this:

I’m amazed you can type while you have a Cajun in you, but he shouldn’t have such an influence on your religious beliefs, methinks.[/quote]

it should be quote of the year or something. :smiley: I almost spit out my beer! :laughing:

How does one get “accidentally converted” to a religion?

Well you heard Dr Zoidberg’s story. Minewas, back in NZ I had a Taiwanese Tai Qi instructor.She asked a couple of us if we wanted to come and here a lecture about the Dao. I’m a fan of the Daodeqing, so I said sure. Three of us arrived at the ‘temple’ (building at someone’s house) a little surprised at the uniforms our teacher and everyone were wearing. “Do you want to receive the Dao?”, they asked. “Sure”. Next thing we know “the master” from Taiwan and a bunch of other robed priests file in - chanting, incense, oaths (all as described in the OP) - my heavenly portal is opened, and I’m a full (literally) card-carrying member.

Oh, and I think ‘cult’ is more appropriate than ‘religion’ here - secret teachings and all that.

Brian