Hi Everyone

Hi Everyone, :slight_smile:

I have been in Taiwan for four years now (really two, since I went back to America after my first year.) One of things I forgot was how lonely it gets here. I came to Taiwan originally to get some excitement in my life and it was definitely exciting my first year, which is why I came back. Yet, now I find myself kind of lost. It’s a bit harder making friends here. As you can see by my picture, I am not the youngest foreigner here so it’s hard making friends with the fresh out of college kids.

It has been really nice finding this forum here. Lots of nice people to talk to and discuss interest things with. I try having talks with my chinese co teachers but they are much younger than me and it’s hard discussing things which are a bit complicated.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself. I woke up and I could not go to sleep, guess I’ll try again!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here. Everyone here seems very nice. :discodance:

Also, in case there are any other 40+ year old woman looking for a new friend in Taiwan send me a Private Message (PM).

Hey MsDoGood,

Welcome to the Flob!

Some of us are awesome, some of us have uncertain parentage and most of us are in-between.

(And then, there are some of us who are awesome AND from uncertain parentage, but I name no names.)

Remember that there’s a Women’s Forum where I suspect that they’re more civilized. Otherwise, feel free to mix it up with the barbarians here.

As always, do the very best that you can to have as much fun as you can!

[quote=“MsDoGood”]Hi Everyone, :slight_smile:

I have been in Taiwan for four years now (really two, since I went back to America after my first year.) One of things I forgot was how lonely it gets here. I came to Taiwan originally to get some excitement in my life and it was definitely exciting my first year, which is why I came back. Yet, now I find myself kind of lost. It’s a bit harder making friends here. As you can see by my picture, I am not the youngest foreigner here so it’s hard making friends with the fresh out of college kids.

It has been really nice finding this forum here. Lots of nice people to talk to and discuss interest things with. I try having talks with my chinese co teachers but they are much younger than me and it’s hard discussing things which are a bit complicated.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself. I woke up and I could not go to sleep, guess I’ll try again!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here. Everyone here seems very nice. :discodance:

Also, in case there are any other 40+ year old woman looking for a new friend in Taiwan send me a letter at alice.walters2009@gmail.com[/quote]Welcome! We are glad to have you. Enjoy your stay. And remember, if you can’t dazzle with brilliance, just baffle us with bull! That’s what I always do!

Hi MsDoGood,
Welcome.

Apart from chatting on here, remember that we have Happy Hours once a month. There are a LOT of 40-plussers on here, myself included (I know, I KNOW, I don’t look a day over 21. No, seriously stop now.) Just to clarify, despite my confusing (to some) user name, I am, in fact, a bloke. There are a lot of blokes on here, but also several ladies.

Hi, and welcome, MsDoGood!

Hi, and welcome, MsDoGood![/quote]

Welcome and all that, on behalf of all the over-40 dudes.
Just don’t expect the rest of them to be as pretty as the chief and irishstu.

Oh, and please don’t fault Charlie Jack for being all terse and laconic and all, it’s a familial trait he shares with his twin brother MilkTea.
They inherited it from their dad:

Hi MsDoGood, and welcome to the forum!

To avoid loneliness, get out and get involved! There are activities for English speakers in Taiwan. A really good one is the docent program at the National Palace Museum, for instance (contact them by early June to apply for the fall training program). There are classes through the community services center, playgroups for those with kids, and so on. None of those are dominated by college-aged people, and you would not feel at all out of place. The animal rights and animal rescue and placement organizations (see our Pets and Animals forum) will welcome your participation too.

Btw, I don’t recommend putting your email address here, as it will attract SPAM. Just have people write to you by PM here on Forumosa. :wink: You can hit the Edit button to delete the email address.

Again, welcome! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Hi MsDoGood, and welcome to the forum!

To avoid loneliness, get out and get involved! There are activities for English speakers in Taiwan. A really good one is the docent program at the National Palace Museum, for instance (contact them by early June to apply for the fall training program). There are classes through the community services center, playgroups for those with kids, and so on. None of those are dominated by college-aged people, and you would not feel at all out of place. [/quote]

Good ideas. Being in a new place takes a bit of work and finding friends and activities takes a little effort. For my part, I help run an ice hockey league that has about two hundred members (both foreign and local) and a lot of the foreign members have told me on more than one occasion that the league has made their stay in TW all the more enjoyable.

So get out there, find some groups or activities you are interested in, and you’ll be good. As I recall, the Community Services Center arranges classes and outings out and around town and there are groups like Forumosa, the Canadian Chamber of Commerce and Internations that organize social nights around town for expats to get out and interact with each other.

Welcome to Forumosa!

[quote=“MsDoGood”]As you can see by my picture, I am not the youngest foreigner here so it’s hard making friends with the fresh out of college kids.
[/quote]

I can’t tell that from your picture. I assumed you were late teens/early 20s.

Welcome aboard.

Sincerely,
Matt, who still believes in flattery.

Hi, Alice. I look forward to meeting you at a Forumosa happy hour or elsewhere.

Maybe you could look on www.meetup.com for activities in your area?