High speed Internet connection - Any suggestions?

[color=blue]Yeah, I will miss my 750KB/sec cable connection for sure when relocating to Taipei.

Q: Which providers offer broadband (cable) and what is the price?
or, is ADSL the only solution and again, which provider is making the difference?

Tx for the tips[/color]

Is it mentioned here?

tealit.com/adsl.htm

Things are getting better due to this great info !
Thanks a lot!

[quote=“ceevee369”][color=blue]Yeah, I will miss my 750KB/sec cable connection for sure when relocating to Taipei.

Q: Which providers offer broadband (cable) and what is the price?
or, is ADSL the only solution and again, which provider is making the difference?

Tx for the tips[/color][/quote]

You should have read the ADSL speed section… your not really going to miss 750kb/sec when you can have this:

From this site I get this
您的連線速度
68000 Kbps
8333.3 K Bytes/sec

it says: Foreigners need to go to any branch of Chung Hwa Telecom to apply for Hinet ADSL.

Can someone tell me where the closest one is to Dunhua and Xiongsiao.

I found the location in my post above. I’m thinking of going with cable as I don’t need a home phone line (you do need a home line to get ADSL here right?) Eastern Broadband allows you to have cable internet without cable tv I hear. I’m trying to get in touch with them, the phone number on the tealit ADSL page doesn’t work (0809030050). Can anyone give me an office location around Dunhua and Xongxiao or a phone number for Eastern Broadband please.

:help: :slight_smile:

I would ask around for opinions on cable internet. It’s fast and cheap, but I recall a lot of people complaining about poor connectivity during rainy weather. Not sure if that’s an issue anymore, but worth asking about.

Don’t bother going to the Ren’ai Lu branch. It’s run by a nazi.

I’d go for the 8 megabit down / 1 megabit up ADSL.
Probably cheaper than that 750kilobit up&down SDSL you’re used to too.

What kind of speeds does the cable modem here offer?

After a week or so of searching and I’ve joined on with this company.
I didn’t want to get a phone line so I decided to stick with cable. The speed is fine for me so far no matter what time I’m on

Asia Pacific Broadband
No. 26 Sec 2 Nanjing E Rd

English at the location is pretty good. I was connected in 5 days after signing on. Bring passport. ARC, and a photocopy of a local’s I.D card (I used my landlord’s). your local friend will also have to sign a guarantor form before you can finish applying.

cost is 1659 for the first month with installation and 659nt after.

I signed up with SparqNet 2 weeks ago. Fortunately, they have their own lines here, so I did not have to go throught the trouble with Zhonghua. I just faxed them my application, passport and ARC, and the same day they called me to arrange installation, that was friday. They wanted to come on monday, but I was busy that day, so they installed it on tuesday. Since then my ADSL is working great. As another benefit of using Sparq lines I am paying for 2M/512K the same as for 2M/256K with a Zhonghua line. While down/uploading to computers within Taiwan, I am getting the promised speeds, maybe even up to 10% more. I haven’t tested intercontinental connections yet.

I found a leaflet about So-net ADSL by Sony, with the highest scores compared to Hinet and other providers…
Anyone who can share his impressions using this provider?
I saw a package with a router or wireless lan, is that a good offer?
TX,
Chris

I’ve been on So-Net for a few years now. I’ve always gotten excellent throughput both locally and internationally. My previous ISP, Giga, really really sucked. As for the packages, just keep in mind that wireless routers are pretty cheap now, so don’t overvalue the package too much. You definitely should use a router though, as it also acts as a hardware firewall and will keep you safer from hackers and worms.