High stroke prevalence

[quote=“Chaon”]894 kg per year is… 2.45 kg a day? Total food intake on average?

I’m going to go ahead and file a Preliminary Opposition to this chart based on Shenanigans, with post hoc arguments related to No Fucking Way.[/quote]
Seems like the numbers likely come from production, import/export, and/or sales data, or something like that. That could really overestimate food intake if there’s a lot of waste. I’ve read that some disturbingly high percentage of food in the US gets thrown out (like more than 25%). that might explain it…

I think the explanation in the somewhat large values is that weights used for these stats are usually not given in 100% edible food. E.g. For pork, veal and beef, it is usually given in carcass-weight equivalents. I.e. the weight of meat cuts and meat products converted to an equivalent weight of a dressed carcass. This includes bone, fat, tendons, ligaments, and inedible trimmings.

You’ll find similar consumption figures from the U.S Census.
allcountries.org/uscensus/13 … t_and.html
allcountries.org/uscensus/23 … _food.html

My intuition tells me that chart is BS. Every time I return to the US, I am shocked by how little in the way of fruit and veggies even healthly looking people eat. I have observed this on both coasts, and in my Redneckistan home town in the south. Likewise, I have always noticed Taiwanese people eating way more fruit and veggies than the average American.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I’ve been watching what locals eat for the last 16 years, and I have to say, there’s WAY too much lard and fatty meat, too much fried crap, too much cream (in cakes and fancy coffees), too much cheese (in all the ju2kao3 au gratin crap and greasy, cheese-laden pizzas and cheesecakes), way too much nitrates in all the UBIQUITOUS and (frankly, dodgy) sausage products, and even what pass for pizzas from places like La SLUT are loaded with bacon and sausage and cheese, stuffed into every CONCEIVABLE and unnatural part of the pizza. WTF? They may eat a lot of fruit here, but there are too many meals with inadeqate green veggies, and far, far too much fried fast food junk.

Sure, there’s seafood here, but when it’s all deep fried, how healthy could that be? Taiwanese food is diverse, and there is certainly healthy food to be had, if you use your brain, but how many people really do?

There’s a REASON some of us yearn for a bigger kitchen – so we can more conveniently make healthier food for ourselves and our loved ones.[/quote]

QFT.

I can’t walk past one of those bakery/cake shop places without practically gagging. You can literally smell the lard and sugar several shops away, especially on a hot day. Likewise, I’d almost have to guess that every drink shop here is owned by a dentist rubbing his hands together. What’s with all the kids with a mouthful of black teeth? I’d never seen that until I came here.

The next generation here is going to be huge. Hell, if I didn’t cook for myself, I’d be huge eating out here!

People are definitely getting fatter in Taiwan. There are still loads of skinnies, but I’m beginning to notice loads of porkers. A lot more little fatties squeezing into chairs in class. It’ll screw up their health system in the coming years just like in western countries.

Not if you count potatoes - Americans eat tons of those. Or maybe they’re counting high fructose corn syrup as corn :slight_smile:

[quote=“elburro”]I think the explanation in the somewhat large values is that weights used for these stats are usually not given in 100% edible food. E.g. For pork, veal and beef, it is usually given in carcass-weight equivalents. I.e. the weight of meat cuts and meat products converted to an equivalent weight of a dressed carcass. This includes bone, fat, tendons, ligaments, and inedible trimmings.

allcountries.org/uscensus/23 … _food.html[/quote]

Motion to strike. Those figures are not from the U.S. Census. They are derived from figures from the U.S. census. And the “consumption” that they show doesn’t seem to be a useful figure in the context of this discussion.

I declare Aggravated Monkeyshines.

[quote=“Chaon”][quote=“elburro”]I think the explanation in the somewhat large values is that weights used for these stats are usually not given in 100% edible food. E.g. For pork, veal and beef, it is usually given in carcass-weight equivalents. I.e. the weight of meat cuts and meat products converted to an equivalent weight of a dressed carcass. This includes bone, fat, tendons, ligaments, and inedible trimmings.

Motion to strike. Those figures are not from the U.S. Census. They are derived from figures from the U.S. census. And the “consumption” that they show doesn’t seem to be a useful figure in the context of this discussion.

I declare Aggravated Monkeyshines.[/quote]

Although we do not consume tendons and bones and the total weight is therefore not the actual weight consumed, the figures are still helpful to understand the proportion of food consumed from the different food groups. Especially when compared to countries with lower rates of heart disease and obesity, like Japan.

[quote=“elburro”][quote=“Chaon”][quote=“elburro”]I think the explanation in the somewhat large values is that weights used for these stats are usually not given in 100% edible food. E.g. For pork, veal and beef, it is usually given in carcass-weight equivalents. I.e. the weight of meat cuts and meat products converted to an equivalent weight of a dressed carcass. This includes bone, fat, tendons, ligaments, and inedible trimmings.

Although we do not consume tendons and bones and the total weight is therefore not the actual weight consumed, the figures are still helpful to understand the proportion of food consumed from the different food groups. Especially when compared to countries with lower rates of heart disease and obesity, like Japan.[/quote]

Well if the figures in the chart posted in this thread are “helpful”, then put me on the record as being in Colon-Trembling Awe of the 1.3 kilograms of vegetables and grains that the average Chinese citizen eats every day.

[quote=“Chaon”][quote=“elburro”][quote=“Chaon”][quote=“elburro”]I think the explanation in the somewhat large values is that weights used for these stats are usually not given in 100% edible food. E.g. For pork, veal and beef, it is usually given in carcass-weight equivalents. I.e. the weight of meat cuts and meat products converted to an equivalent weight of a dressed carcass. This includes bone, fat, tendons, ligaments, and inedible trimmings.

Although we do not consume tendons and bones and the total weight is therefore not the actual weight consumed, the figures are still helpful to understand the proportion of food consumed from the different food groups. Especially when compared to countries with lower rates of heart disease and obesity, like Japan.[/quote]

Well if the figures in the chart posted in this thread are “helpful”, then put me on the record as being in Colon-Trembling Awe of the 1.3 kilograms of vegetables and grains that the average Chinese citizen eats every day.[/quote]

As I mentioned previously, the figures are only helpful when looking at the proportion of food eaten from various food groups. And then comparing the various countries.

Of course Chinese citizens do not eat 1.3 kilograms of vegetables and grains every day. I think it’s safe to assume that just like meats have parts that are not eaten, so does fruits and vegetables. The Chinese don’t typically eat banana peels, apple cores, mango seeds, the outer leaves of cabbage and other parts of these foods. So yes, the figures don’t give an accurate picture of exactly how much people eat from a certain food group. But that doesn’t mean that these figures are pointless and irrelevant to the discussion.

My guess is that this less than accurate methodology is based on retail sales of these foods in kilos. (As this would be quite easy to collect). After food is sold to a consumer… how much of the food is eaten, how much is scrapped, and how much goes to pets is unknown.

Ya lost me.

No way, dude. That movie was fucking scary!

Ya lost me.[/quote]

Let me try to rephrase. :ponder:

The figures aren’t helpful to understand the volume of food that is eaten, but they do help to understand the composition of different food groups in the average diet of a country. (i.e. amount of meat vs veggies vs fruits, etc.) And it does this both in terms of how this composition has changed over time, and how the balance compares to other countries, specifically those with low obesity rates such as Japan and Korea.

Now let’s get past this digressing bullshit and get back to talking about monkeys.