Hiking and enjoying nature

Does any body have any recommendations for days out or short breaks from Taipei? I need to get out of the city and do some serious walking. Company would be welcome, if you leave your cigarettes at home.

Ideas for during CNY?

You can take a bus from the Taipei train station area, or from the Shi Lin MRT stations, to Yang Ming Shan in 30-40 minutes. Ride it all the way to the visitor’s center, where you disembark. Then, grab a map of the area and hike away. There are plenty of decent trails.

I’d go along, but (a) I’d much rather look at my girlfriend’s ass than yours as I hike and (b) I’m very much pro-smoking once I get to the top of the mountain.

Have fun.

T.

Forgot to add two things: You might want to elicit a response from Poagoa on this, as I remember seeing a post or two on his site where he found some nifty spots in Taipei for hiking that are accessible by motorcycle. They would be closer than Yang Min Shan.

For CNY, if you’re going to travel, better get your hotels and train tickets booked right away. Lots of other folks travel during that time, and hotels get booked up pretty quickly. I know the Taipei train station is selling advance tickets now. Have fun.

You might want to have a look at this web site: A Hiker’s Guide to Taipei’s Trails

There is also some useful information on my web site: Day trips around Taipei

Cool! Thanks guys.

Tomas, don’t make any decisions about my arse until you’ve seen it. Admittedly it’s not as pear-shaped as some people like 'em, but I like it.

How about you bring your girlfriend and we both look at hers?

[quote=“tmwc”]Cool! Thanks guys.

Tomas, don’t make any decisions about my arse until you’ve seen it. Admittedly it’s not as pear-shaped as some people like 'em, but I like it.

How about you bring your girlfriend and we both look at hers?[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: