Hiking/backpacking in Taiwan info needed

Hello. My name is Darwin Roos. I live in Bloomington, IN, USA. I lived in Taipei from 6/95-5/03 and still really miss it. Taiwan still feels more like home to me than the US does. I’m very open to possibly moving back to Taiwan. Since I’m into hiking and backpacking, I’m interested in finding out more about hiking and backpacking in Taiwan. I have a couple questions:

1) Are there any long distance trails (160 Km or more) in Taiwan? If so, where could I get information about them?
2) Are there any hiking/backpacking clubs in Taiwan? If so, is there an e-mail address I could reach them at?

Thank you for your time. Take care and have a great day. 

Sincerely, 
                                                                         Darwin                                                               [daroos@indiana.edu](mailto:daroos@indiana.edu)

www1.forest.gov.tw/NationalTrail … ailMap.htm

check out this website for trails.

there are lots of Taiwanese hiking groups, not sure if any have websites in english.

mountain.org.tw/WebBBS/Activity/NTU.aspx

you could try this one.

Or talk to Richard from barking deer.

barking-deer.com/

Good advice above.
160 km will be a lot tougher here than in the States. The hills are a LOT steeper here.
Check out the latest Lonely Planet for ideas about some great hiking. As well, if you live in the North, there are lots of day hikes from Taipei in Richard Saunders’ books.

[quote=“kage”]Good advice above.
160 km will be a lot tougher here than in the States. The hills are a LOT steeper here.[/quote]
Much steeper than in Minnesota, that’s for sure!

But Taiwan is crisscrossed with hiking trails ranging from easy paved stairways in the city to rugged, rocky trails in the high mountains and muddy, leechy trails in the deep jungles.

Taiwan’s a hiker’s paradise. Plenty of opportunities for wilderness camping, too.