šŸ„¾ Hiking | Don't Hike Alone

Not really. Those people went over-prepared, not under-prepared. The remarks against them were basically ā€œ99%erā€ jealous rage at how someone could afford to have sherpas hauling solar panels, microwave ovens, La-Z-Boy recliners, and so on all the way up Everest for them.

Yeah, those typhoons are really unpredictable! Why, just yesterday, I was out sunbathing when WHAM one came up and blew me out into the middle of the South China Sea. Good thing Iā€™m a strong swimmer! The government really should do something about tracking them and giving warnings so that they donā€™t surprise people. That or put them all in jail where they belong.

1 Like

But they needed to depend on the Sherpas almost completely, they didnā€™t have an ability to climb independently, so when things go/went bad they quickly become a heavy loading. As they had paid huge amount of money to get to the top they expected to get to the top, end of.

I think you donā€™t quite realize, they werenā€™t taking their solid-gold bathtubs to the summit. Things only ā€œgo/went badā€ during and after summiting. And they abandoned all their shit when the weather got bad, so it didnā€™t slow them down any anyway.

Also, pretty much nobody can manage Everest completely independently. Thereā€™s too much equipment needed (at least if one wants a tiny bit of safety).

Moreover, nobody WANTS them to manage Everest independently. Acting as pack mules is how the locals make money to live on. No climbers needing local help means no food in peopleā€™s mouths. Perhaps they should all just starve to death in the name of noble purity, though; after all, look at Thailand and what a tourism-based economy has done to people there.

BTW, Iā€™m sad that you didnā€™t respond to my typhoon comment. I worked hard on that. :frowning:

Well, yes, thatā€™s the other extreme. Iā€™ve seen this too, especially when river tracing.

Another reminder, a decade later, why hiking alone can lead to some unhappy results:

Guy

2 Likes

I go hiking by myself all the time. What I donā€™t get is how people keep falling into ravinesā€¦

fyi, the Google Safety app is good to use for this, tho I usually forget. You can set a time, at which itā€™ll prompt you to respond, and if you donā€™t, itā€™ll send your location and a message to designated people.

5 Likes

A hiker has died after tripping and falling in the mountainous Hualien region of eastern Taiwan. There has been a spate of recent accidents on the countryā€™s high-altitude hiking trails.

the idea of a fellow hiker is to be able to call for assistance and timely rescue could make the saving of a life.

they say dont swim alone and dont hike alone if you can avoid it

Itā€™s a no-brainer, but I can fully understand why people want to hike alone. Itā€™s a different experience and you donā€™t go out there with the goal of coming back safely, although you expect to do so, but you go out there to be with yourself in nature. Thatā€™s why people are willing to take the risk, at least those who acknowledge the risk.

3 Likes

I donā€™t have anyone to go with, but generally Iā€™m in areas where there are others around, and where I have mobile service. I also am experienced, prepared, and not a big risk taker

3 Likes

i go alone but i swim close to shore or in pools and i dont hike far from civilization. or alone on a trail. there are other people around.

1 Like

In addition to the things she mentions, I take water (duh), swiss army knife, rope, and first aid kit.

2 Likes

Another death, this time in the Ruifang District of New Taipei City (hardly deep in the mountains) where a group thought that a hiking excursion on a day with a high in the upper 30s was a good idea (it was 38 degrees that day in my corner of Taipei City). One of the hikers felt unwell and excused himself from the group. Left alone, he ended up not rejoining his fellow hikers at the trailhead. His body was found the following day. Lots of basics not being followed here, with tragic results.

Guy

2 Likes

This post is old but I had to mention there really was no sighting of mountain lions on this trail for nearly 30 years and when I got married in 2013 I told my new wife who walks faster than me and liked to go further on the trail to watch out for mountain lions , I was actually pretty much joking when a few mins later she phoned me saying she saw a mountain lion on the trail about 30 feet ahead and it stopped to stare at her and awakened the primordial fear that we humans have from the days when we were prey to large cats . She said she was frozen with fear and the lion stopped and stared at her for a minute and she said the thing could look into your soul . But she said it appeared to be only a cub and not full grown and after a minute it crossed the path into th trees

Honestly, I thought she was joking with me until later that night I heard on the news that a mountain lion and her cub were spotted on the trail and it was the first time in decades a mountain lion was spotted here, so yeah, it was actually true

I told her thing was the mama lion was likely hidden and watching her and would come out if she made any moves on her cub

Strangely both her and I no longer hike there

38 c. Could be heat stroke ? I guess never leave the group

And the group should not have left him by himself either

By the way there is no summer in San Francisco

Itā€™s daytime on a July day and itā€™s 55 F and cold

I donā€™t know, depends on the condition he was in when he went back. He probably said that he was fine, just needed to walk back. That area is not in the high mountains, trails are not difficult to follow, visibility was great. Not having enough water is all on the hiker himself. If you can carry only one item up that mountain in the heat, it should be a big bottle of water.

If itā€™s 38 degrees in the shade no one should be hiking under direct sun. Unless you are extremely well conditioned and used to it.

2 Likes

I went for a very short run (30 minutes) up and down stairs at Meilun Mountain in Hualien City. I started at 7 am and it was already 30 degrees. I thought I was being weak because I was really dragging my feet. But then on the last set of stairs, my dog started to stop to catch his breath. I then realized that my little run wouldā€™ve been hard for anyone because my dog is usually running all over the place ahead of me on our mountain runs. Anyway, be careful out there. I would avoid anything long and too strenuous unless you start at 5 am and end at 7 am.

2 Likes