🚶 Hiking - Taipei | Circular hiking route in Taipei area suitable for family with kids

looking for a route suitable for family with young children. best is a circular route that starts and ends at a parking lot,(I.e. not a route where you walk to a point and then walk the same way back.)
already been to buffalo meadows in yangming shan, looking for something similar.
thank you

The Menghuan (Dream) Lake trail on the way to Buffalo Meadow is good for kids. It’s a bit more challenging than BM, but it’s a circular route that begins from the Lengshuikeng parking lot and takes you up to the pond and then back down from the other side. Bring a towel as you can let the kids soak their feet in a hot spring along the way.

1 Like

thank you, do you also know of anything in the Neihu area by any chance ?

Kids will enjoy Baishihu suspension bridge in the mountains of Neihu, and you can hike up via Liyu (Carp) Mountain, which has the Great Wall of China and other local tourist sites in miniature along the trail.

1 Like

thanks
we have done it before but I dont remember carp mountain being circular. we started at the top near the strawberry fields and walked down the mountain.

No, it’s not circular. I was just thinking along the lines of Neihu hiking for families with kids. :slight_smile:

Dream Lake has a circular route if memory serves. It’s in Xizhi, not too far from Neihu.

1 Like

thank you

Though in Chinese, introduction of Taipei hiking trails. There are a page for each trail with a map.

http://gisweb.taipei.gov.tw/release/?p=6-2-6

1 Like

It is circular, if you go via the YuanJue temple and waterfalls one direction, and Carp Mountain trail another!

You can do Scissor Mountain (Jiandaoshishan) in Neihu as a circle: Start from Xihu MRT, head north up to the trail and then east along the ridge, over the summit, and on down the path that comes out by Bihu park next to Wende station. Then it’s two stops on the MRT back to where you started.

1 Like

Along the Carp Mountain trail you might even still see the miniature world created a long long time a go. Great wall of China, matchbox cars… etc. I think there is not much left of it, but some tiny sculptures and cars, fun for kids. :slight_smile:

Start at Dagouxi Waterfront Park (near Dahu Park Station) and walk the trail to Yuanjue Falls, then up to Bishan Temple. Then continue up to Zhongyongshan, and down another trail down to Jinlong Temple. Then head down the road and city streets to Neihu Station.

All these are good hikes in Neihu. However, the OP is looking for kid-friendly trails. I don’t know how old the kids are, but many of these hikes are just too hard for small kids, especially when the OP mentioned buffalo meadow (Qingtiangang) as an example hike in the original post.

1 Like

There’s the BaiLuSeShan trail, starting at the temple behind Dahu (it’s the hill behind the lake). Definitely doable for kids. You can continue down the other side and come out on Jinhu Rd, near AIT. For a full circle, turn either left or right and walk back to Dahu Park via the road.

We did this with the kids two weeks ago (2 and 7) and it was great. Not too hard. Good shade. Very pretty.

Thanks for the advice!

1 Like