Hinet DNS service on dyanmic line

I have a dynamic ADSL account with Hinet, and recently the DNS service has been very spotty. Everything will be working fine, then it will slow to a crawl, and finally things will simply timeout. If I know the IP of the site I want, I can enter it and the site pops right up. Likewise, when this happens and I’m using Linux, I can simply define a DNS server using one nearby (university usually, or a Hinet server), and everything works peachy (not sure how to do that in Windows).

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Hmm. Yeah, I had similar problems about six weeks ago. It turns out that one of the fucking bastards in my apartment building was deliberately flooding the universe with viruses. Thanks to him (presumably a “him”, anyway) quite a few sites, major and minor, are now blocking the building’s IP address (or range).

Good luck.

I lost the DCHP and DNS this morning, none of our office PCs could connect to the internet or the hinet mail-server.
Configured IP addresses, gateway and DNS manually and now it works again …

[quote=“Rascal”]I lost the DCHP and DNS this morning, none of our office PCs could connect to the internet or the hinet mail-server.
Configured IP addresses, gateway and DNS manually and now it works again …[/quote]

That’s exactly what I’m talking about. I can get away with just manually configuring DNS. I’m assuming this happens only on dynamic accounts. In any case, thanks for verifying that it’s not something on my end.