Hinet SMTP server

I mean that when I do a portscan, the portscanner says ‘This port has been stealthed’. It then says that this means that it has probably been blocked by my ISP, if it’s not blocked by my firewall (which it isn’t).

[quote]but I would guess you have one of the following situations

you were on hinet location A and your email address was OP@yourdomain.net and you email program was set to

use hinet’s SMTP server?[/quote]

I was on Hinet location A, and my email dress was OP@yourdomain.net, and my email program was set to use mail.yourdomain.net as the SMTP server (thanks for the clarification process).

I’ve never used Hinet’s SMTP server.

I am now on Hinet location B, my email address is still OP@yourdomain.net. but if my email program is set to use mail.yourdomain.net as the SMTP server, I can’t get through.

The same goes for any SMTP server I try to use, including my own computer if I try to use localhost with an SMTP mailserver program installed.

I had the same problem, several times in several places.

It appears that hinet, and other ISPs, won’t let you route your outgoing mail via any other server than the one they specify. You have to find out from hinet what the name of their outgoing server is and whether there’s a username/password. (I believe that there usually isn’t with hinet.)

Although outgoing mail has to go via their server rather than ‘yours’, your email address (in the ‘from’ and ‘reply to’ sections) doesn’t need to be changed. ie you still keep your identity, you just have to send everything via hinet.

It took a month to find out what the name of the outgoing mail server was at Lotus Hill, and one of my schools actually won’t let me send any mail unless I do so via the account they created for me on their server - the one that gets 60 spam emails a day. Anything I write on my laptop while there has to be saved and sent when I get home.

As a stopgap measure, you MAY also have web-based access to your mail account and be able to send email that way. Try going to yourdomain.com/webmail or /mail or check out the support info. You won’t have anything stored on your computer, but at least you may be able to get urgent messages out.

Thanks Loretta, that’s very helpful. Right now Gmail is filling the gap.

I have no problem with hinet routing to my gmail smtp.
I have for all my accounts (4) the gmail smtp set.

[quote=“belgian pie”]I have no problem with hinet routing to my gmail smtp.
I have for all my accounts (4) the gmail smtp set.[/quote]

Since I have Gmail account, I’d love to know how you set that up in your email client. Which client are you using by the way?

This could be the answer to my problem.

"It appears that hinet, and other ISPs, won’t let you route your outgoing mail via any other server than the one they specify. You have to find out from hinet what the name of their outgoing server is and whether there’s a username/password. (I believe that there usually isn’t with hinet.) "

that would be weird, but its Taiwan.

To OP:

"I am now on Hinet location B, my email address is still OP@yourdomain.net. but if my email program is set to use mail.yourdomain.net as the SMTP server, I can’t get through. "

1. hinet SHOULD allow you access to thier own SMTP server, as you are on their netwrok and therefore are trusted, so you would need to find out your SMTP server address. It should not have changed, but who knows

2. IF hinet is not blocking access to other SMTP servers
    You can test this by setting up access to gmails SMTP server or by telneting to the server and port 25. Too complicated to go into here.

see usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/21
or just google “test SMTP server using telnet”

then you should be able to use your original @yourdomain.net SMTP server.

the catch is that the admins @yourdoamin.net may have set up IP blocking rules for outside people to use their SMTP server (even with username . passowrd)

This is rather common as a lot of spam comes out of hinet msinet etc.

So you also need to check with the system administrators over @yourdoamin.net and make sure your current IP address block is not being barred from talking to their SMTP server

[quote=“chichow”]2) IF hinet is not blocking access to other SMTP servers
You can test this by setting up access to gmails SMTP server or by telneting to the server and port 25. Too complicated to go into here.

see usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/21
or just google “test SMTP server using telnet”

then you should be able to use your original @yourdomain.net SMTP server.[/quote]

Thanks, I just tried this. I receive the message ‘Could not open connection to host on port 25. Connect failed’.

I just looked into Gmail’s help file, and discovered how to use their SMTP server, authenticating with my Gmail address and password.

They use port 587, and it works perfectly. You beauty! :bravo:

[quote=“Fortigurn”]I just looked into Gmail’s help file, and discovered how to use their SMTP server, authenticating with my Gmail address and password.

They use port 587, and it works perfectly. You beauty! :bravo:[/quote]

Although this works I presume you would still like to get the Hinet SMTP server connection working as you will presumably send mail quicker ? ie: via gmail your PC needs to send eack packet to the server in the US rather than on-island…

I use the same type of setup where I POP from my own registered domain, but SMTP directly from hinet. I currently use ms33.hinet.net, I have also previously used ms17.hinet.net & msa.hinet.net

I think each relates to different mail servers located around the country (?). Possibly the one you used to connnect to times out from your new location… just try various combinations unti lyou find one that works… ie: ms17.hinet.net, ms21.hinet.net, ms33.hinet.net, etc.

hinet just kept adding mailservers as they were growing, therefor all the numbers ms(mailserver)number.hinet.net
msa means mailserver adsl, easy isn

Thanks Connel and Belgian - ms33.hinet.net seems to be working. :smiley:

question for my hinet I constantly don’t receive email that the senders sent…I have them send to hinet and yahoo…and yahoo receives but not hinet…this happens once awhile to different senders…is this a problem with hinet? do they just lose emails or what…should I write them a letter will it do anything? or just forget about it maybe change to a diff provider? thanks