Hinet SMTP server

We’ve just moved to a new apartment and had our ADSL service reconnected. Now it seems that my email client insists on a different SMTP server to the one I was using previously (not Hinet).

I don’t know what the Hinet SMTP server’s address is, or which username/password I need to enter in order to get to it. Their website is not very helpful.

Ideas?

SMTP is used for sending email. To prevent spammers using other mail servers, you can only send email from a hinet server if you are connected to hinet. In other words, there is no way to send email from your hinet account if you use so-net.

Besides, if you cancelled your account with hinet, don’t be surprised if your email account with them is cancelled with it.

If, however, I misunderstood and you want to set up an email account with hinet, goto www.msa.hinet.net and register an email address there. Your email server will be msa.hinet.net

Ignore the www.snakeoil.dom security certificate, bunch of amatures :loco:

Thanks, that helps.

Ok, here’s the thing:

[ul][li] I have never used a Hinet email account, and if I ever had one I certainly didn’t know about it
[/li]
[li] My email account belongs to the domain of a mate of mine, and I have for the last three years (including the last 10 months in Taiwan), used his SMTP server - the email account still works fine, but the server doesn’t want to send anymore
[/li]
[li] I didn’t cancel my account with Hinet, I just moved apartment and asked them to reconnect it in the new apartment
[/li]
[li] From my connection settings, I can see that I have the same username with Hinet (and probably the same password), as before[/li][/ul]

Maybe I should contact them. :s

I don’t use a Hinet SMTP server either. Why would they have blocked you and not me?

I have no idea. I don’t think they have blocked me, I just don’t know what the Hinet SMTP server is.

I haven’t had this problem in 10 months here. I have no idea what’s going on.

[quote=“Fortigurn”]Thanks, that helps.

Ok, here’s the thing:

[ul][li] I have never used a Hinet email account, and if I ever had one I certainly didn’t know about it
[/li]
[li] My email account belongs to the domain of a mate of mine, and I have for the last three years (including the last 10 months in Taiwan), used his SMTP server - the email account still works fine, but the server doesn’t want to send anymore
[/li]
[li] I didn’t cancel my account with Hinet, I just moved apartment and asked them to reconnect it in the new apartment
[/li]
[li] From my connection settings, I can see that I have the same username with Hinet (and probably the same password), as before[/li][/ul]

Maybe I should contact them. :s[/quote]Good luck mate. I had the same problem too. I changed my account from my bosses name to my wife’s name and 3 m onths later, my account died. I then went down to chunghua to try and sort the mess out, apparantly, if you change a name then your email automatically dies after three months. Surely they were shitting me. I still believe so. NOBODY speaks a lick of English in the Yungho office. After telling them my problem, we agreed that I should choose a new password for my email account. That doesn’t work either. I’ve given up on using their shitty mail. I now use gmail as my primary account as it has a capacity of over 2200mb and continues to get bigger.

I just don’t understand it, because I don’t use a Hinet email address, and never have. The email addresses I use are all on my mate’s domain. I can receive mail without any problems, I just can’t send anything. :loco:

Avoid using Hinet, So-Net, Seednet, or any other email account that comes free with your ADSL service. The account automatically dies if you are no longer an ADSL subscriber. Gmail rocks because it’s 2 gigabyte and POP3 enabled.

But the whole point here is that I don’t use a Hinet email account, and never have. All I want to do is to use their SMTP server with my own email account.

Strange, I have Hinet ADSL but my default SMTP server for all my e-mail accounts are going through Gmail.

The thing I had to do though is changing the SMTP port # (Gmail default) and one other setting involving security or something.

Forigurn.

Sorry you’re gettig the runaround here.
How do you send email from your computer usually? Do you use Outlook or Outlook express maybe?

You haven’t changed anything else on your computer, right? Just moved house.

Are you wanting to use the hinet server as an “open relay” ? They generally don’t allow that to prevent spammers, open relays tend to end up on anti-spam blacklists. Why don’t you use your friend’s email server ? If it’s not working anymore, ask him why, he might have sent it up to allow your IP addresses and now you’ve moved maybe you’re allocated different IP addresses. It’s his system you’re having problems with, not Hinet’s.

[quote=“irishstu”]Forigurn.

Sorry you’re gettig the runaround here.
How do you send email from your computer usually? Do you use Outlook or Outlook express maybe?[/quote]

Usually I use Thunderbird, connecting to an SMTP server through port 25.

I am trying to do exactly that, on a new computer.

Yes that’s right.

I have no idea. All I want to use it for is an SMTP server to send my email. Since I’m an ADSL customer with Hinet, I had the idea that I would have access to their mailserver - I may even have an email account with them for all I know.

Unfortunately my mate isn’t that savvy. They don’t own the server, only the domain (the server is somewhere in the US). They didn’t set any of it up, they just bought the domain complete with email server and webspace.

You’re right that it’s their system I’m having a problem with, not Hinet’s, all I’m wondering is if I can use Hinet’s SMTP server in the absence of the other one, since I am a Hinet customer.

Well, a port check just showed me that port 25 is currently ‘stealthed’. Since I haven’t installed a firewall on this computer yet, this seems to indicate that port 25 is being blocked - possibly by Hinet. That is a pain, and is certainly the cause of my problem.

You can try seed.net.tw as SMTP server, that’s what we use at the office with our Hinet account, but I believe you need a username and password, so perhaps you should contact the Hinet customer service and ask them for assistance.

You can try seed.net.tw as SMTP server, that’s what we use at the office with our Hinet account, but I believe you need a username and password, so perhaps you should contact the Hinet customer service and ask them for assistance.[/quote]

Thanks, I might give that a go. Certainly it’s clear that without port 25 open I’m not going to get very far with anything. I downloaded an SMTP server program which allows you to send email directly from your computer, but of course with port 25 blocked I couldn’t do it.

How bizarre. You don’t have some firewall or other software on your computer that’s doing that, or acting as a proxy?

I used to use ms21.hinet.net as my SMTP server, but I can’t remember if I used a username and password or not. (In 3 years I’ve never used Hinet email because they refused to tell me how to set up a POP3 account. Never been able to do it. Never missed it.)

Can’t you use some other SMTP server? I’m using the one from my domain host, and they let you choose a range of ports in case your own ISP is a **** like hinet is.

Nope, nothing. I did a portscan, and was informed that port 25 is being stealthed, which means it’s probably being blocked by the ISP.

I’m actually experimenting with that now.

I don’t know exactly what you mean by the port being “stealthed”

but I would guess you have one of the following situations

you were on hinet location A and your email address was OP@yourdomain.net and you email program was set to

use hinet’s SMTP server?

or

use yourdomain.net SMTP server

you are now on hinet location B and your email address is OP@yourdomain.net and you email program is set to

use hinet’s SMTP server?

or

use yourdomain.net SMTP server

so which is it?