History Ph.D/Stanford J.D. Jobs in Taiwan?

i have a friend who works for Dept. of Justice in Washington. Her PhD is in History and she has a JD from Stanford. She doesn’t like law and wants to learn Chinese. Is there any possibility for someone like her to get a job either teaching History at the university level or teaching law?

any thoughts are appreciated. She doesn’t find the idea of language teaching overly inspiring…

archibald

[quote=“Archibald”]I have a friend who works for Dept. of Justice in Washington. Her PhD is in History and she has a JD from Stanford. She doesn’t like law and wants to learn Chinese. Is there any possibility for someone like her to get a job either teaching History at the university level or teaching law?

any thoughts are appreciated. She doesn’t find the idea of language teaching overly inspiring…[/quote]

I know that your friend apparently not interested in “practicing” law. The following info, though not a teaching position, would likely involve substantially different work than would “practicing” law. You may want to pass this on to her:

Taiwan’s Ministry of Justice recently announced plans to establish an international affairs department in order to deal more effectively with an increasing number of cases involving international parties and law. The Ministry explained that as Taiwan’s highest government office charged with handling all types of legal affairs, it was becoming increasingly necessary to cooperate and coordinate with other government offices.

Ever since Taiwan’s admittance to the WTO, international legal cases have been increasing and are expected to continue in this trend. Thus, the Ministry stated, it needs to establish an international affairs department to efficiently deal with these new matters as they develop.

To establish and implement the international affairs department, the Ministry must draft and propose amendments to the Organic Law of the Ministry of Justice Organization and submit the same to the Legislative Yuan for deliberation and approval. While this time-consuming endeavor takes place, the Ministry is already formulating plans to employ foreign attorneys to staff the new department after its establishment.

The Ministry indicated that such foreign attorneys will be hired as