Hit by a red light runner - advice?

Today on the way to work, I got hit by a red light runner. Fortunately, I’m OK although I’m definitely have some pain and expect to feel it more tomorrow. Because I tried to stop, he hit the front of my scooter so it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. He gave me his business card and said “I’m sorry. I’m late for work. Call me.” I waited for the police to tell him that I had the green light and he ran the red light. No report. The police said I should call the guy who hit me. Advice?

You shouldn’t have let him leave. You could technically go to the foreign police station at ximen and force the issue. Basically make them do a report. Keep your receipts.

2 Likes

In Chinese, but these might help. Someone could translate, if she needs?

I think you can go to hospital and get a medical record.

New Taipei City Police Department
交通事故當事人若當場自行和解,事後因需申請保險理賠或(受傷)傷勢加重,要如何處理?
https://www.police.ntpc.gov.tw/cp-1153-1994-3.html

車禍當下警察沒有做筆錄 事後還可以要求賠償嗎

最佳解答
匿名大大您好,針對問題解說如下,僅供參考:
問:1. 雖是我撞他 但我這邊是綠燈 他闖紅燈 這樣是我錯嗎?
A:誰撞誰、撞哪裡不是重點,肇事責任是依道路交通安全規則相關規範論責任的,若能證實己方行駛方向號誌為綠燈、未超過該處速限(慢車道為40;快車道為50),則肇事責任100%歸屬對方。
2.警察那邊沒有備案 沒有拍照 沒有任何我們車禍當下的所有記錄 這樣我事後還可以要求他賠償我醫藥費嗎? 該怎麼要求?
A:【事後報案】一、請您至發生地點《管轄分局交通分隊》做『事後報案』的動作,警方仍會依車禍事故處理程序照相、測量、繪現場圖、製作筆錄等完成報案程序。甲、乙當事人及事故車輛均要到場,乙方如果不願前往,請提供乙方現有相關資訊(如車號、電話)給警方,以便由警方通知其到案說明。二、完成報案程序後取得警方開立交通事故當事人登記聯單〈非報案三聯單〉,聯單內有當事人須知請詳閱,惟事後報案動作有可能警方會不開立聯單唷、但無妨,事故經過已完整紀錄。
完成事後報案,若對方亦已到案,可經由對方保險公司支付己方相關醫療項目費用:
無過失主義『強制汽車責任保險理賠』:有受傷即可申請理賠「20萬內」。若對方亦成傷,己方亦應向己方保險公司申請強制險理賠對方相關醫療項目。『強制險採取交叉理賠、不論過失責任』
1、醫療收據:例如掛號費、診斷書費等(附正本收據或副本蓋「與正本相符」)。如果傷者有其他保險(學生平安保險、勞保、意外險),亦可重複、多方申請理賠(重複收據及診斷書)。上、下班途中=勞保、公傷。
2、合理交通費:指轉診費、出院費及往返門診之合理交通費用,大多以計程車收據為準。以至合格醫療院所,總金額兩萬為限。
3、看護費用:聘請特別護理費、近親或他人看護之合理費用。但以傷勢需人看護為主並經[醫師證明]確有必要者為限。每日以1200元為上限,最高以30日為限。
4、其他:如醫療器材(兩萬為限)、義肢器材(五萬為限)、住院病房費差額:每日以1500元為限、膳食費(每日以180元為限)。
即使對方不出現,己方仍可向特別補償基金會申請相關醫療費用。

A policeman did arrive took a photo and talked briefly with us. The driver was in a hurry to get to work and left, and I did tell the police that I had the green light and which direction we were coming from. I’m sure it’s all on camera. The police did say just to call him and settle it. It should be an interesting red light camera photo. :sweat_smile:

Memo to the members with a running feud about red lights: don’t start. :rainbow: :peace_symbol:

3 Likes

As @JPMichaels1 said, you can go to a big police station. I think they cannot refuse to make a report.

Too late now but for future reference insist on a police report, without the report you can go no further and cannot make a claim on his insurance. I’d suggest going to the police station involved and insisting on some sort of case reference so that at least you know they have it on file. Best case is the guy pays your costs and you won’t need anything from the police.

The last time I was in an accident (not my fault) and the other driver was being a &^%$ I called the FAP only to be told they don’t deal with such minor issues, only cases involving violence or worse. Not sure if that is their official policy but I wouldn’t rely on them getting involved.

2 Likes

Yeah they don’t seem to care all that much when the local is in the wrong and the visitor is in the right. Unless the visitor happens to be stupid enough to spark up a joint near Taipei 101.

1 Like

In 3 accidents that were not my fault I’ve never gotten that impression. One of the accidents was another car hitting my car in a car park at night, the police officer involved spent several hours reviewing 12 hours of CCT footage on equipment that could only 4X. He came back later when off duty to fill in all the relevant forms. My experience has been that they treat the visitor way better than the local.

3 Likes

My complaint wasn’t against the officer or even against Taiwanese people. The guy who ran the red light was more concerned about getting to work on time than my well-being. He certainly didn’t intend to hurt me. If I had not been able to slow down enough to where he clipped the front of my scooter, it would have been a t-bone and lights out for me. So when he started leave, I looked him in the eyes and said “You could have killed me! Don’t run red lights!” You know what his response was…He gave me a gift of menthol rub…menthol

7 Likes

There are a group of posters on here who are hell bent on painting Taiwan in a very negative light, distorting reality, twisting and fabricating things to the point where they actually believe their made-up bull shit. Maybe they do it because of a one time bad experience, maybe they are unhappy with their life here…who knows? The police are willing to take reports and they do take things seriously. That has been my experience, my family’s experience and many friends’ experiences too.

Are the cops perfect here? No. Are they against foreigners and think we are evil white devils? Absolutely not. That is absurd. For the people who keep painting Taiwan so negatively towards foreigners, this is for you: If in your mind you feel like this is true, then perhaps it is time you left to find greener pastures.

To the OP @Aikaili , sorry for your accident. I sincerely hope you are ok. Other posters are correct, best to get a report done on the scene. If the police have his info and your info, try and push things further.

The Taipei Police Website states:
“There are foreign-language-trained officers at each police precinct.”
I believe the foreign affairs police hot line is not responsible for traffic accidents. Call 011 for a traffic accident and the dispatcher can find an English speaking officer to assist you.

3 Likes

Some of those posters are entertaining. The guy who moved from Japan to Taiwan, got insta-dumped by his girlfriend within his first 48 hours on the island and then spent months replying on every thread writing bitter replies filled this:“THIS PLACE SUCKS” sentiment…I mean, that was an amazing source of distilled Schadenfreude. Too bad he left, I miss his replies. Kinda.

Backintopic: feelsbadman, Aikaili, take care!

2 Likes

Yeah, that whole FA Police deal is a total artifact from the 80s and 90s, when the overall level of English ability was way way lower than it is now. My impression is that, currently, in addition to most people walking around having more English, cops tend to have considerably more formal education than they used to (which translates into better English). The last couple times I was around in a situation where an FA stooge had showed up, the local cops’ English kicked the shit out of his.

1 Like

Thanks @IbisWtf! Anyone who knows me see that I am enjoying my life here quite a bit. Maybe too much…except for the road accident part. I didn’t enjoy that part at all. :slight_smile: I’m OKand my scooter seems OK, and I really don’t want the hassle, so I’m letting this go. I don’t regret telling the other driver that he needs to understand that he can kill people. Nothing to do with being Taiwanese or the evil furriner.

Oh, so it’s sorted then.

2 Likes

mind blown

3 Likes

Please don’t think that was about you. Not at all!
My conversation about evil furriners was regarding other posters ranting about the police.
Glad it all worked out for you.
And nothing wrong with telling him he could have killed you, that is truth.

Glad to hear @Aikaili (and her scooter) is OK. My number one rule for riding a scooter in Taiwan (along with stay as far as possible from taxis, buses and delivery trucks) is always enter an intersection assuming that someone is going to run the red. It doesn’t usually happen, but it does happen shockingly often. I’m sure it’s saved my life on multiple occasions.

5 Likes

You’re right. That’s what happened here. I wasn’t careful at this particular intersection because you have to start to run the red light at least 2 seconds late to get to where I was going. I violated my own rule of never be first and never be last.

Ignoring the fact this was bumped by some spambot, was there further resolution here beyond menthol rubs @Aikaili?