HK Olympic Torch run

Looks like people are happy someone is flaming.

Americans, free Afghanistan and Iraq.
What are these people protesting about?

Well, what I saw was pathetic.

[quote]20 detained in HK Olympic protests

Agence France Presse

HONG KONG - Hong Kong police detained around 20 people following minor scuffles along the route of the Olympic torch relay in the southern Chinese city on Friday.

China supporters and pro-democracy activists pushed and shoved each other on Nathan Road, one of the city’s main thoroughfares, as the relay set off, AFP reporters said.

Friday’s leg of the worldwide relay is the last likely chance for major protests before the torch, which has been dogged by demonstrators on its journey around the world, heads to mainland China on Saturday.

But there has been a growing backlash from China supporters angered by the international criticism of Beijing’s crackdown on Tibet.

In one incident on Friday, police carted away about a dozen pro-democracy activists after they had scuffled with around 100 supporters of China, who cheered and clapped as the protesters were taken away.

“They are supporting a guy who has betrayed our country,” said 24-year-old Yvette Dhang, referring to Tibet’s exiled spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.

Dhang she had travelled from the Chinese city of Shanghai to “support” the relay, which drew massive protests at some earlier stops, notably London and Paris.

Hong Kong resident Wang Kuei Sheng said the protesters taken away by police were “troublemakers” and that the Olympics – and the torch relay in Hong Kong – were “the happiest moment for Chinese people.”[/quote]

No pics around of that poor lass carted away for attempting to show that China was mature enough to tolerate a peaceful demo. She was on the telly news. Alone and in a cage “for her own protection.” She was on your side! In any case, she showed us alright. :laughing:

You wankers must be real proud!

HG

If only 20 people got arrested its a miricle. Look at crowd, that’s pretty huge.

Even those protestors of America had to do it from an office window. The street level is just packed.

Cherry picked photos, I assure you. What I saw were bored primary school children refusing Chinese flags. The barriers kept them so far from the torch they were bored out of their little minds.

HG

Most news report also have the HK run as pretty successful with some protestor arrested for their own protection when they got surrounded by the masses and masses of sweaty people who disagreed with them.

If you’re a short little student, I don’t you’ll see much while stuck in the middle of the crowds either.

I’m surprised that some of those wafer-thin actresses have enough stamina to even run a few blocks.

You think that’s a victory? You really are an idiot.

HG

Huang Guang Chen,

I don’t think I’ve ever framed the situation such that there would be a victory or defeat.

Still getting use to the 1997 hand over I see.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Huang Guang Chen,

I don’t think I’ve ever framed the situation such that there would be a victory or defeat.

Still getting use to the 1997 hand over I see.[/quote]

[quote]When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn’t a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.[/quote]

Is fuckwit one word or two?

HG

Have they come for you or anyone in HK in recent years?
I meaning even Long Hair runs around, freely.

Isn’t is delusional to frame the CCP as Nazi, when there is nothing in reality to support the claims or even parallels in the poems you put up, least of all in HK.

It’s delusional not to compare the CCP with the Nazis.

[quote]People’s Republic of China, Mao Zedong’s regime (1949-1975): 40 000 000 [make link]
Agence France Press (25 Sept. 1999) citing at length from Courtois, Stephane, Le Livre Noir du Communism:
Rural purges, 1946-49: 2-5M deaths
Urban purges, 1950-57: 1M
Great Leap Forward: 20-43M
Cultural Revolution: 2-7M
Labor Camps: 20M
Tibet: 0.6-1.2M
TOTAL: 44.5 to 72M

HITLER TOTAL:
Courtois: 25,000,000
Rummel: 20,946,000 democides
Brzezinski: 17,000,000
Urlanis: 15-16,000,000 (11-12M civilians + 3.9M POWs)
MEDIAN: ca. 15.5M
Our Times: 13,000,000 (6M Jews + 7M others)
Compton’s: 12,000,000
Grenville: 10,000,000, including 2M children.
NOTE: These numbers only include outright murders, but keep in mind that some 28M civilians and 14M soldiers died in the European War. That’s 42,000,000 deaths which can probably be blamed on Hitler to one extent or another.[/quote]

HG

I’m sure the figures for the common cold are also pretty much the same if not worst as well. Thus the flu virus and the Nazi are also the same.

Forgive him, lord, he simply doesn’t get it. Actually, he really doesn’t get much at all, so perhaps it’s best to delete him from this planet, if you have the time.

Thanks for your consideration.

HG

I’m new here so forgive my ignorance but, is this, perchance, an attempt at humour?

You are, I assume, aware of the fact that whereas the ‘common cold’ is a disease, the Nazi’s were ‘people’, right? Saddly, and as much as we may want to, we cannot attribute blame to diseases as they tend to lack motives and autonomy. Nazis, you see (as with the CCP) are people and can actually choose, using their mental faculties, whether they wish to end the life of another person or not whereas diseases tend to be somewhat lacking in the ‘mental faculty’ area.

I would assume that you also are lacking in this area if you seriously consider your reply to be anything other than a (bad) attempt at humour.

I thought the CCP and Nazi were usually described as mindless drones, unable of independent creative thought, no different than a flu virus or cold bacteria, single minded in their desire to end all that was good in the world.

I’m just poking fun at HG coloration between the Nazi and CCP over some arbitrary figures. If he made a comparison of public policy I would be more convinced.

Let me start a few topics that would be mistaken for an intelligent conversation.

CCP recognizing 55 minority groups, offering them greater rights than the Han majority. Nazi identified the Jews and put them in ghettos.

CCP put 300 million individuals regardless of ethnic grouping and moved them into the middle class. Nazi took everything the Jews owned and eliminated them in efficient manners Germans are known for.

ah so it was a ‘joke’?

down with the common cold! down with the authoritarian germ regime! an end to the domination of the bug!

“it’s a dirty war, it’s a BUG war…”

the revolution will be sponsored by Pfizer, Sandoz, and Wyeth.

actually, the revolution will be brought to you by enterovirus, SARS, H5N1 influenza, and HIV. all viruses, all incurable. and funnily enough, all much bigger problems for China than for the rest of the world.

thank god the Chinese govt at local and state levels covers up the nasty details. saving face is much more important than saving lives. and damn the notification provisions that membership of the WHO demands.

nice joke, acd.

I don’t know about that. Didn’t the PRC just annouced they discovered a deadly form of Foot Mouth disease among school aged children.

But if we’re going to be critical of medical research and politics, I would just like to add…

It’s not the the US would ever cover up or cut funding to AIDS research because it was the “gay” disease, when it didn’t meet the political sensibility of the current administration.

Umm, they found something.

[quote]Doctors punished over EV71 outbreak: Claims of negligence, profiteering in Anhui
May 06, 2008
Officials in Fuyang , Anhui province , have disciplined doctors and clinical staff for negligence and profiteering over outbreaks of the EV71 virus - or hand, foot and mouth disease - as the number of infected cases skyrockets across the country… [/quote]

HG

[quote=“ac_dropout”]I don’t know about that. Didn’t the PRC just annouced they discovered a deadly form of Foot Mouth disease among school aged children.

But if we’re going to be critical of medical research and politics, I would just like to add…

It’s not the the US would ever cover up or cut funding to AIDS research because it was the “gay” disease, when it didn’t meet the political sensibility of the current administration.[/quote]

I like the way you see things in comparison . :smiley:

China occupies tibet!
‘yes well Europeans are occupying America!’

China covers up a disease
‘yes well America did that too, with HIV!’

I’m just curious as to why you do this? Which one of the following best describes your position?

A: if I draw a comparison with the west then these westerners won’t be able to argue anymore because they surely think everything ever done by western countries was good!

B: if I draw a comparison with the west the I can show that China is just doing what everyone else does, so that makes it o.k.

C: Other

Do you seriously not consider that the people criticizing China for these things may be the same people who criticize western countries for the same things? If you claim ‘of course I have considered that’ then the question to ask would be, why do you bring these things up at all? What’s the point?

For example, if we were discussing Iran’s nuclear threat and you wrote ‘ah but America dropped two atom bombs!’, you would, of course be right. But does that somehow affect Iran’s nuclear threat? I can’t see that it does. I suppose what I’m saying is, can you stick to the issue without drawing some kind of comparison which is some odd attempt to cancel out claims?