Hoisin sauce

i have been trying unsuccessfully to find hoisin sauce in the supermarkets around taipei. does it go by a different name in taiwan? anyone know the pinyin for it.

when i ask for hoisin nobody has a clue as to what i am talking about it.

In Taiwan itā€™s called ā€œoyster sauce.ā€
č ”ę²¹
HAO2 YEO2.

As far as Iā€™m aware, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce are actually different things. The former is salty, the latter much sweeter. I donā€™t know the pinyin, but hereā€™s a picture with the characters - maybe someone can pinyinise them :slight_smile:

ta for the responses

oyster and hoisin sauces are different.

FROM LEE KUM HEE website
-------- Oyster Flavored Sauce is specially made from the finest premium oyster extract. With its rich oyster taste, this all-purpose seasoning sauce enhances the taste and appearance of any dish.---------

----------Hoisin sauce is a delicious irresistible sweet sauce made from selected spices, ground soybeans, and sweet potatoes.

daasgirl is this your own photo?
if so where did you buy it?

thanks
oli

ā€œHoisinā€ is ā€œhai xianā€ (tones?) in Mandarin.

No, Iā€™m afraid - cribbed from the Net. But your post reminded me how long itā€™s been since Iā€™ve cooked anything with hoisin and you may have sparked a craving! Iā€™m actually really surprised itā€™s so hard to find, since Iā€™ve seen plenty of Lee Kum Kee products. Iā€™ll have a look around next time I go shopping.

you might try looking for something called ę¢…å­é†¬ (mei-zi jiang, plum sauce) think itā€™s similar.

Iā€™m sorry to give you wrong information. My bad :blush: All this time I thought they were one and the same.

Nah bro, plum sauce and hoisin are most certainly different. And 914 - I thought they were the same thing up till now tooā€¦

Great for Vietnamese noodlesā€¦ Pho. Score! Got a brand new bottle waiting for use. :slight_smile:

Found some today. They sell it in Jasonā€™s under 101, I think it was lane 6.

It is not conmon in local cooking. More of a Cantonese thing, but all supermarkets should stock it.

Someone already gave the pinyin.

It is called Seafood Sauce in Mandarin: hai3 xian1 jiang4

I found it at City Super in the Far East Department Store on Dunhua. Easy to find as the brand has the word written in English on the label. Look in the Chinese food section (yes, there is such a labelled section).

If someone still want to find the hoisin sauce and live really far from City Super , maybe can try the ē”œéŗµé†¬ (Tien2-Mien4 jiang4?), it tastes similar (in my opinion) and itā€™s very easy to find. When I tried the hoisin sauce the first time, i thought they are the same things.

Iā€™m trying a new recipe that calls for hoisin sauce. My dictionary says itā€™s 굷鮮醬.

Although that translates as ā€œseafood sauceā€, the recipe is vegan so there wouldnā€™t be any seafood in it. (Wikipedia explains the origins of the name and that there actually isnā€™t any seafood in hoisin sauce)

However, after asking a Carrefour worker for help in finding this sauce, all she could come up with was thisā€¦

Clearly the label says it contains seafood. So Iā€™m just wondering if anyone knows another way to ask for this mysterious sauce.

EDIT: I found a workaround. Internet tells me I can combine Thai chili sauce with some garlic and Chinese 5 spice, all of which I have on hand.

1 Like

Would something like ē”œéŗµé†¬ work?

1 Like

Iā€™ve bought hoisin sauce, labeled as such, here, but that was a while ago. I think Iā€™ve seen it pretty recently, maybe at Breeze Super? Lee Kum Kee brand.

EDIT: Never mind, threads got merged about twenty seconds later!
Thereā€™s this discussion from almost twenty years ago ā€¦

Hoisin sauce

1 Like

I still see them used in pho shops, so if you go to where they sell food for southeast Asians they will likely have it. If carrefour try the tienmu store as they tend to have a larger international products.

https://tw.shp.ee/AwnddGU

Or shopee

2 Likes

Good advice. There are shops like this not far from me by the train station.

This should be sold at carrefour and px mart.

1 Like