Home Contents Insurance

Does anybody know a reliable insurance company that will insure the contents of a house. eg Furniture , jewellery etc

I have now heard of 3 burglaries in expats houses and one fire where the occupants had no insurance.

Hi there,
I was wondering if you find one yet, let me know if you do, I have a friend who is looking for same thing. Thanks in advance

I posted a similar question before but got no answer. If you get to know something, Id love to hear it. I was also wondering about personal liability insurance (is that the term?).

Any hints out there?
Iris

We got house contents insurance through Gin-Horng Insurance Broker. The policy itself is with CGU Insurance. The cost was about NT$8,000 per year to cover a replacement value of about NT$2.5 million.

The number is 02-2523-7052 and we went through Morris Wu.

Thanks very much for the info, helen.
$8000 doesn’t seem like a lot, really, does it?
Does it only cover theft and fire? How about earthquakes or floods? The worst cases of property loss I’ve heard of in Taiwan were due to flooding.

It covers fire, burglary, earthquake, typhoon and flood, water leakage etc. The guy I spoke to was named Morris Wu who is very helpful, and his phone is 02-25237052 ext. 22 if you are interested in contacting him.

Thanks Helen, sounds like excellent information. Hopefully, the poor guy will not be flooded by calls now.

Thanks a lot
Iris

Although you may be able to obtain insurance in Taiwan, don’t expect them to actually pay up if something happens.

Don’t say that, Jeff! What have you heard that you’re not telling us? Besides, if it’s a reputable company, and/or international, then they’re obliged to pay or they lose their license, right?

Thanks again, helen.

Alien,

I’ll probably get flamed for saying this but… here goes…

Regardless if the company is international, this is Taiwan, and many international companies have completely different policies then they do in there own counties… (I’m making a general statement here please don’t throw stones at me). So just because the company is a reputable international company don’t be so sure they will pay you…

Case in point - A guys house is on fire, cause of fire was a short in the refrigerator. Over one million NT worth of damage when all is said and done. He gets a check, it’s less then $200,000NT. His premium is $3000NT a month. The guy is well off, but come on, that’s what 20%? Now of course there are some unknowns here and at least this guy got something. And yes something is better than nothing, but if the insurance policy covers the loss then he should have gotten the million…(and YES I know this person)

If anyone has had an experience where the insurance company has paid in full I would love to hear it. I have been wanting to get renters insurance for a long time, but I keep hearing stories from the locals who tell me it isn’t worth it.

So… please step forward and prove me wrong so I can feel confident if I get insurance! :smiley:

I would suspect it’s a little naiive to expect a Taiwanese insurance company to pay up. What are you going to do ? Pursue them through the Taiwanese courts !!!?

It’s naive anywhere in the world to think an insurance company will give you what you’re owed. In the US, at least, I think you’re supposed to hire an insurance “adjuster” (?) to help you with your claim. If you file on your own, you’ll get screwed. But an adjuster knows how insurance companies work and they’d be less apt to screw with an adjuster because he’s an industry professional. I’m sure if you ever really needed to file in Taiwan, you could just run a google search and find an international firm that has adjusters.

On my homeowner’s insurance, I usually go for a higher deductible (at least US$1,000). I figure I’m not going to bother to file a claim unless it’s a significant amount. This will lower your premium or you can get higher coverage for the same premium.

Also, for my homeowner’s insurance, they will only reimburse for replacement value, not market value. I’m surprised they sent JeffG’s friend a check. In the US, they would pay the contractor who rebuild the apartment directly.

Hi everyone,

This is an old subject but still new for me… I am afraid that the 2 year old phone number given by Helen is not working anymore… Does someone has a good experience or relationship with an insurance company and can give a phone number? We have quite expensive hi-fi and home theater equipment that we would like to insure… Thanks

[quote=“pablo”]Does anybody know a reliable insurance company that will insure the contents of a house. eg Furniture , jewellery etc

I have now heard of 3 burglaries in expats houses and one fire where the occupants had no insurance.[/quote]

If you live in a house and not an apartment building you will find it impossible to get insurance. I live in a house and the several insurance copmanies I asked said that because houses don’t have security guards they would not insure against theft.

Regards

Shit… I know this thread is getting really long in the tooth but I’ve asked a million and one people including a gazillion times on Forumosa and got nothing. I’m bringing my studio to Taiwan and need it insured - I’ll be living in my own house.

Did you dig into this pretty far or just give up when they said ‘no’? Who did you contact? Got any starting points? What if I am in a gated community with guard and/or profesionally installed CCTV, steel doors, fire alarms + swipe card access (which is going in regardless… this is Taiwan after all). Think they will budge to insure, say, NT$2.5-5mil?

C’mon, Mister Forumosa… you must have something up your sleeve that’s not nasally sourced :slight_smile:

[quote=“Satellite TV”]If you live in a house and not an apartment building you will find it impossible to get insurance. I live in a house and the several insurance copmanies I asked said that because houses don’t have security guards they would not insure against theft.

Regards[/quote]

Search the web for books on health
and ‘self-defense’ (financial wise), where in
aswers are oft Given(s).
Most of the stuff teachers buy can
be easily replaced .

Happy Hols!
Study the Tao and the Wisdom around you.
Oh, by the way, how’s that scooter?
A good scooter, working over time & Hols, etc,
builds up a nest egg that oft pays off without much paperwork for
any reason whatsoever.

This sounds like something out of the Tao Tse-Ching and/or a VCR instruction manual…

We aren’t all teachers in Taiwan, yanno.

[quote=“T eacher 8”]Search the web for books on health
and ‘self-defense’ (financial wise), where in
aswers are oft Given(s).
Most of the stuff teachers buy can
be easily replaced .

Happy Hols!
Study the Tao and the Wisdom around you.
Oh, by the way, how’s that scooter?
A good scooter, working over time & Hols, etc,
builds up a nest egg that oft pays off without much paperwork for
any reason whatsoever.[/quote]