Honda Hornet vs. Ninja 250

I want to get a 250cc bike. I still need to get a driver’s license, and I understand that one needs to hold a license for 1 year before getting something bigger than a “white plate”.

I am interested in getting people’s opinions on comparing the Honda Hornet 250 and the Kawasaki Ninja 250. I know many people might say “just get the Honda CB 400” or even a red plate. I understand the logic and argument behind that, but for the sake of this discussion let’s keep the topic on white plates only.

I think the biggest deterrent people have for these bikes, especially the Ninja, is the price. 200,000 NT is not cheap, by anyone’s standards. Of course, you can get “more bike for the money” in bigger engine bikes here, but like I said, let’s talk white plates.

The price initially was the big scary boogie man that made me not consider the Ninja, or even the Hornet. However, I realize, at the end of the day, when you sell the bike in a year or two, you actually make most of the money back. This means, you pretty much got a free bike, or something close to that. I spell this out clearer in my “Motorcycle Depreciation” thread.

Which bike would you prefer for Taiwan, the Ninja or the Hornet?

What are the pros/cons of each?

How do they compare in quality, engine power and overall performance?

I personally prefer a black Ninja’s sleek look, but I also can appreciate the Hornet’s more muscular design.

Also, which bike is better for carrying a passenger?

I have sat on neither, so still don’t know which one “feels” better. I am 6’2’’ though and know the Ninja is lower, so that might be an issue.

if money is not an issue but u want a white plate bike then I’d buy this
tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/b64771134

[quote=“StreetSpec”]if money is not an issue but u want a white plate bike then I’d buy this
tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/b64771134[/quote]

I saw one the other day parked next to a brand new Ninja 250cc. I think they look like shit compared to the Ninja, but I’ll bet the engine is better. I dont know though.

To the OP, I think you just need to test ride both those bikes first and see for yourself. They are very different bikes. I would get the Ninja before the Hornet because of the powerband. The Hornet wont be any fun to ride in traffic with power starting at around 8,000 and reving all the way to about 18,000RPMS. The Ninja only reves to about 11,000 RPMs.

IMO, the Ninja is better looking and probably a city bike, with accessible torque from its twin cylinder mill. The Hornet is hands-down better everywhere else (see review).

Comparison here.
"Well, kudos to Kawasaki; the Ninja is a great, frolicsome little motorcycle with cool styling and a fierce (for a 250) Twin. It’s a great way to get started in motorcycling and remains an excellent way to get around. But our editorial hat is off to Honda. The CBR just plain works better everywhere, eliciting more toothy grins wherever it goes. On the spec chart, it’s about as impressive as, well, as a 250-Single-powered sportbike. "

that cbr250 sure would look nice in taiwan

I agree that the CBR would be cool, but that is out of my price range…

I know the Ninja is expensive, and the Hornet is not exactly cheap either, but considering, I could sell it after a year or two, and make most of the money back, it is a justifiable and good purchase. That being said… I literally don’t have the money for a CBR, even if I did see it as the best bike.

So, in looking at Ninja and the Hornet. Someone mentioned powerband…

What else. Which bike do you favor for Taiwan, and why?

This is not necessarily true. Plus a lot can happen with a motorcycle like a small accident, an engine/tranny failure or problem, chips and scratches or dropping the bike, ect. Don’t buy just because you think you will get “most” of your money back. I want to remind you that both these bikes are more of a “niche” market and probably won’t be that easy to sell. Your market for selling one of those bikes would also probably be a Taiwanese person, so you would need to list it on a website like Yahoo auction and probably need a Taiwanese person to help you with that. My friend here had a beautiful Honda CBR 150cc with low miles on it, taken cared of, babied, some nice aftermarket parts, always parked in a garage and never ever saw rain. It took him 6 months to sell online. The price was right too.

Why do you want to buy such a nice bike like a Ninja or a Hornet and then sell it after a year? If you are really planning on selling after a year then IMO you are going to have to start looking for a buyer in 8 or 9 months just to be safe. Plus it is going to start getting cold and rainy really soon. Not the best weather to ride. You won’t want to ride your sweet Ninja or Hornet in that kind of weather. It starts getting cold around November all the way to March.

I’m just trying to remind you that both of these bikes are expensive, but also rare. So if you are really planning on selling it after a year you might want to think about buying something else. It just seems like a waste of money to me unless you were going to keep it for awhile. :slight_smile:

You see hardly any of these bikes on the road. So few people want them that it would be a REALLY difficult sell unless you were prepared to eat a huge loss. Even then, it would STILL be a difficult sell, because its not the money that puts people off so much as the smallness – you can get a very nice 650 for around the same money – someone on here was selling a Ninja 650 for NT$180,000 just a few months back. Something to think about.

ninja250 is a parallel twin, the hornet 250 is an inline 4 that revs past 18,000rpm!.
The hornet has one of the nicest chassis and sweet handling borrowed from the 90s fireblade (the rear wheel is 180 width and the front is a 16’’) did i also mention it revs past 18,000rpm!.
My brother had one of those hornet 250s in the late 90s and after owning practically every significant sports bike up to 2004 he still says the hornet was the most fun of the bunch.
Its bullet proof too, so even a ham fisted retarded betal nut chewer wouldnt screw it up.

Ok, I think the two posts up there might be talking sense into me…

From what I’ve seen, the prices for these 250 sports bikes are incredibly stable, meaning that in most cases, the sell for near the value they were bought.

I had not been taking into consideration that there is a huge time frame needed to sell. I don’t know how long I will be in Taiwan… but if I need a 9 month buffer to sell the bike, then I guess I shouldn’t buy one… :frowning:

Its not about the numbers smellybumlove; I must say, especially with bikes, even more so perhaps than with cars. I dare say that its easier to adjust more cars to fit occupants than bikes to fit riders. I’m talking about posture, but with a bike, also its dynamics come into play more so. A person seriously needs to sit on and physically ride a bike and compare it with alternatives to get a good idea of how its angles, posture and overall feel affect their comfort and ability.

That aside…

Honda is known for its reliability and refinement.

Kwak is known to have somewhat of a dealer network and easier access to spare parts on the island.

Given that there may not be enormous differences between these two bikes, one might consider the practicality of owning either one of them. Most people buying such things won’t generally take that in though as they are basically looking for a “look” so to speak and have already shifted practicality to one side. If they hadn’t then they wouldn’t be looking at such things in the first place.

[quote=“Rennes”]Ok,
I had not been taking into consideration that there is a huge time frame needed to sell. I don’t know how long I will be in Taiwan… but if I need a 9 month buffer to sell the bike, then I guess I shouldn’t buy one… :frowning:[/quote]

Honestly, if you don’t know how long you are going to be here than don’t buy a Ninja or Hornet. I probably wouldnt even buy a motorcycle at all, especially if you are only planning on being here for a year. Even regular 150cc motorcycles, Quannon, KTR, Wolf ect will take longer to sell than a scooter. If you know you are going to be here say a few years than I would think about getting a motorcycle, but I still wouldn’t buy a 250cc. You will only ride it over a year and a half and spend the last six months trying to sell it. Plus it rains here like crazy and don you really want to ride it in the rain. If you are planning on staying here for years or even life than it makes sense to me to buy a nice weekend warrior bike. If not, than don’t waste your money. You will be sorry!!

It is so funny that people are in love with the fact that the Honda Hornet revs to 18,000 RPMS. I have ridden one and the power kicks in at around 8,000 RPMS, but around 14,000-18,000 I wasn’t impressed. It is still a 250cc that can rev high, but can’t go that fast. IMO a powerband like that is the worst bike to ride around in Taiwanese traffic. I would think the Ninja would be more suitable and probably be easier to find parts if needed. The Hornet is though a wonderful 250cc. If the traffic wasn’t so bad and people here knew how to drive than it would be an alright bike. This is all my own opinion though. :slight_smile:

I am taking these comments very seriously. It’s a little heartbreaking too though…
I feel like having a motorcycle with at least some power (I know a 250 is weak by Western standards) is something I would really value, enjoy and appreciate. It’s more than just a toy, but a lifestyle choice. I don’t want to keep getting older and looking back and say “wow, that looks great, I should have done that back then…”

When I realized that the 250 bikes retain most of their value, I thought this could actually be a great option. I have already been in Taiwan 1 year, and the scooter lost its flavor faster than chewing gum. I actually ride it out into the county often, just to clear my head. It’s true, I don’t know for certain how long I will be here. Maybe 1 year, but heck, it could be another 3, just can’t say for sure… I do take the warnings to heart though… Obviously, I don’t want to be stuck with a 200,000 machine that I can’t sell…

Admittedly, I don’t know much about the Hornet and Ninja yet. I had been all about the Suzuki TU 250. When I check on ruten, (with the exception of some rogue 65,000 NT Suzuki that’s probably illegal) I don’t see the same bikes on there. It seems like when I check it every month, old bikes are off, and new ones are posted. This gave me the impression that the Suzuki 250 (which sells in the ballpark of 100,000 NT) is a bike in demand and you don’t need to wait 6 months to sell.

I wonder if the Hornet and Ninja and beyond, are bikes that are more difficult to sell because of price, but the Suzuki, perhaps, is still under the threshold…

Anyways… I’d really love to get a legit bike that at least has some real riding value, but I guess most people think that’s a bad idea, unless I’m a Taiwan lifer…

Sad day.

Sorry for the down mood, had really had my heart on getting a bike.

Take a decent 125cc, invest a few bucks (trans, carb, and other racing gear) and you will be quick and quick. Not much of resale value, but who wants to trade fun for value? Well a cheap bastard is all of us, so pay to play or dont bother showing up. If you want to hang out, any scooter will work, if it starts everyday and doesnt leave you on the side of the road then tits, it is a good scooter, want that same scooter to go fast then find a good grease monkey and pay to play. I am at about 183cc, with custom carbs and other parts, I am pretty fast. Lets go for a ride when you get your scooter to your spec.

Don’t worry, fear of regret subsides with age. Saving your money however usualy results in a greater sense of relief and security .

The “premium” priced bikes do take longer to sell, but the usual arrangement is to have a friend sell it if the moto is unsold by the time you leave the 'wan. The “standard” priced bikes, like the CPI 250 and TU 250, have more turnover because … they cost less to begin with.

Were I you, I’d buy the bike I wanted. People buy DRZs, CBR400s, Super-4s, Nikitas, Xciting 500s, etc., because THAT’S THE BIKE/SCOOTER THEY WANT, even though the annual fees are higher than a 250cc and they aren’t a red plate.

The bike “I want” is a 250. Because of licensing, I cannot have anything bigger than a white plate for a year, anyways.

Specifically, the bike I like at this time is the Ninja 250. That being said, it sounds like these premium bikes have a very long selling turnaround.
I wish I didn’t have to consider that, but unfortunately, it is a factor.

This brings my eyes back to the Suzuki TU 250. Based on everything I see, this is a bike that doesn’t take a half year to sell, like the above mentioned bikes, and is half the price, meaning a much larger segment of the population can actually afford it.

The Suzuki might be the right solution for me.

Thoughts?

[quote=“Rennes”]The bike “I want” is a 250. Because of licensing, I cannot have anything bigger than a white plate for a year, anyways.

Specifically, the bike I like at this time is the Ninja 250. That being said, it sounds like these premium bikes have a very long selling turnaround.
I wish I didn’t have to consider that, but unfortunately, it is a factor.

This brings my eyes back to the Suzuki TU 250. Based on everything I see, this is a bike that doesn’t take a half year to sell, like the above mentioned bikes, and is half the price, meaning a much larger segment of the population can actually afford it.

The Suzuki might be the right solution for me.

Thoughts?[/quote]

All 250cc bikes are hard to sell. A TU 250cc isn’t going to be a walk in the park to sell. People are not waiting in a line to buy that bike either.

I personally think that you should get your mind off of a 250cc and just get yourself a cheap 150cc used wolf or KTR. You can find a nice one for 40K. That way when the time comes for you to leave you will have a way better chance of selling it and you wont lose that much money on it. A small 150cc is still going to be fun.

Also if you buy a 250cc, you are probably going to need to sell it online. That usually takes a long time, especially because it is a 250cc. Trust me, there are not that many Taiwanese looking to buy 250cc motorcycles. They buy scooters, nice 150cc bikes, or big bikes. So even though it is a nice TU I would bet that you are still going to need some time to sell it. You would probably need to sell it to a Taiwanese too. Not many foreigners are going to be looking to buy a 250cc. I could totally be wrong though and you could get lucky and sell it immediately, but do you want to take that chance?

I have a CPI 250cc, but I don’t even ride it that much. Maybe once every 2 weeks, sometimes 3. I wont ride it in the rain, unless I am suddenly caught in it. That is just me though. I don’t like to ride anything except for my 50cc scooter in the rain. The weather in Taiwan sucks in the North. It rains a lot and it is only going to get worse and colder soon. It sounds like you don’t really know what your future holds. I do, I am a lifer here in Taiwan, actually a resident now. So buying a 250cc was a good choice. I did my time and rode a Honda NSR for years, then went back to scooters, then bought a few other 150cc motorcycles before I bought the 250cc. Maybe 3 years down the road I will buy a bike bike. If you don’t know how long you are going to stay than just get a decent 150cc to have some fun with and to explore this beautful island with. If you know you will stay here 100% for a few more years than yeah maybe get the 250cc, but if not don’t do it. Save your money. You don’t want to be stuck with a beautiful motorcycle and then try and make a friend sell it for you later when you are already out of the country. What a pain in the ass and now you just inconvenienced yourself and your friend.

Once you settle somewhere you can buy your dream bike, as for now just buy a 150cc and be done with it. I woudn’t even buy a new one because I don’t think you will be riding it that long.

Thanks for the info. I am fully aware buying a Japanese bike will be dependent on selling to a Taiwanese. That doesn’t scare me. I’ve gotten comfortable with Ruten and have plenty of Taiwanese friends who could help me out with posting… I agree that trying to sell a Suzuki to a foreigner could be a very long wait…

That being said, I don’t see the same Suzuki’s on Ruten… It seems like there is always one or two on there, but then the next month, it’s another two. That makes me thing they are selling and it’s not taking so long either…

I appreciate this dialogue and please keep the thoughts and comments coming… I just want to make a good decision.

Just to share my experince of buying and seeling a honda hornet 250. I bought it in 2009 when the economy was lil bit down and i was really lucky to find one from a big bike shop for 100,000 flat. I rode it about 10000 km for no problems around Taiwan. The funny thing was, it took me less than 1 day to sell it for 120,000 nt$ when i wanted to get rid of it. Thats 20,000 more that i payd with 2 years of using :stuck_out_tongue: Bike market is very wierd in here, but i can tell you that hornet 250 is extremely famous in Taiwan. Dont know why people say its hard to sell… usually on motocity.com.tw forum those bikes are bought in days rather than weeks. At the moment ongoing price for 250 hornet is around 140,000 to 150,000, which i think is too much.
Anyways, hope that helps you to make decision.

Cheers,

Jussi