Honey Citron Tea

I am sorry I couldn’t find any earlier reference. :blush:

I am quite addicted to this stuff. Have tried many brands and although calling it tea seems kind of weird, I like the idea of marmalade in a hot cup of water. I first saw it here in Taiwan. Is it common everywhere in SE ASIA or is it Korean and Taiwanese palates that dig it most??? Just wondering how this combo came to be???

I was thinking, ginger honey would also be a good combo. :slight_smile:

The ginger and honey one is a surefire winner. I make that when I feel the lurgies coming on and it never fails. Its very Taiwanese – with a twist. They use rock sugar as sweetener instead of honey and boy, they’re SOOOOO wrong.
Get a bunch of ginger. Chop it into chunks and then smash the chunks with the flat of your big knife. No need to peel.
Throw it in some water, bring it to a boil and then simmer on a low heat for about 15 minutes. Get rid of the ginger chunks, and then just add honey until its sweet enough for your taste. And a goodly squeeze of lemon juice wouldn’t hurt, either. Once this has cooled a bit, add a (very, very, very) generous glug of fine malt whisky.
Drink it while curled up on the sofa in a fluffy robe with your husband (or wife, as the case may be) rubbing your feet. You’ll never have a cold again.

Drink it through a straw so it doesn’t get on your teeth!

Sandman’s spot on with that one! I do ginger, honey, and lemon juice pretty much the same way for colds, and add more than a dollop of brandy if I have a cough, or on a cold winter’s night.

I think I’ve seen ginger flavored honey citron “tea”. As said, it is more like mermelade.

I have a British orange/ginger tea, but obviously, it is not the same. D something brand. Not very good, actually. Then Twinings Lemon and Ginger tea, all for the office. Now we’re talking.

[quote=“sandman”]The ginger and honey one is a surefire winner. I make that when I feel the lurgies coming on and it never fails. Its very Taiwanese – with a twist. They use rock sugar as sweetener instead of honey and boy, they’re SOOOOO wrong.
Get a bunch of ginger. Chop it into chunks and then smash the chunks with the flat of your big knife. No need to peel.
Throw it in some water, bring it to a boil and then simmer on a low heat for about 15 minutes. Get rid of the ginger chunks, and then just add honey until its sweet enough for your taste. And a goodly squeeze of lemon juice wouldn’t hurt, either. Once this has cooled a bit, add a (very, very, very) generous glug of fine malt whisky.
Drink it while curled up on the sofa in a fluffy robe with your husband (or wife, as the case may be) rubbing your feet. You’ll never have a cold again.[/quote]
will do :notworthy: , minus the whiskey ofcourse. Sounds Great and you sell it well. :laughing:

I put ginger in my chai everyday, but honey…yummy!

I’ll look for it. Thanks.

It’s also one of my favourites.
Whittard of Chelsea is also excellent!

Last night I crushed some ginger and boiled it. A nice good long boil, and then strained the brew to make some regular honey citron tea with. It was good with a nice twang, but I would have liked it a bit more pungent. Maybe I’ll use less of the citrus marmalade tonight.

I don’t think less marmelade will make it more pungent. Try doubling the ginger instead. :2cents:

yes, going to make a cup. Cheers!

If it doesn’t make your eyes water and your nose run then its not got enough ginger in it. I swear, the best drink I ever had in my life was ginger tea with Taiweanese brandy in it, bought from a vendor in the Hehuanshan parking lot and drunk from a plastic beaker while standing in the snow after we’d (failed to) make the summit of Chilaishan a few years ago. We had to add the hooch ourselves, though.

This si what they did on the mainland for colds. 1/2 kg ginger boiled in 2 cups of water till the water halved. It burned your throat as you drank it. It’s supposed to be cooled and drunk at night and off to bed. Those dry wintry coughs vanish if you survive the throat burn. Not tasty but miraculous coz it didn’t kill you.

The alternative for weak ones like me, was to do the same in coke. Boiled coke tastes horrid but the ginger doesn’t make fissures in the food pipe.

Honey citron tea is popular in Taiwan and also Korea I believe.

Latest Taiwanese favourites, ginger black sugar with dates and guiyuan (you can buy the hard block and boil at home, this one is for winter/colds) and Wulong Milk Tea, steaming strong oolong tea and add fresh milk/cream…awesome!

That’s interesting – I remember being given cola syrup for a cough when I was young.

That’s interesting – I remember being given cola syrup for a cough when I was young.[/quote]
really?? Wow. I was in a boarding school as a kiddo and was given waterbury’s compound with brandy…a tbsp each night. It didn’t do anything, we would still stay awake and chat all night and have snotty noses!!

The syrupy ingredients (honey, coke syrup etc.) and the alcohol specifically help with coughs AFAIK, not colds.

so a few trial later - more ginger, less ginger, boiled ginger, squashed ginger - I did what I should have done first, go to the bar!! I found a can of Schweppes ginger ale, :lick: poured a little bit over the marmalade to emulsify it and then poured the whole can in, a gentle stir and voila. Perfection!!
Cheers!