Hong Kong Hotels

I’m going to Hong Kong in January and want some recommendations. I want to stay somewhere middling to expensive. A smaller hotel is preferable. Centrally located. I am going for sightseeing so don’t want to be out in the sticks unless the place is really worth it.

The Ritz Carlton is as central as it gets, and has a “small hotel” feel to it. The peak view rooms are fine - absolutely no need to pay extra for a foggy-harbour view room IMHO. You should be able to get it for under US$200 a night. From time to time they do discount deals. Otherwise, the Kowloon Hotel on Nathan Road is a good mid-price hotel, but with very small rooms. Around US$100 a night. My wife has stayed in the Kowloon Hotel a few times and rates it for its central location (er, well, in Tsimshatsui), cleanliness, and value. I’ve never stayed there. The Ritz Carlton is exactly what you expect from a 5-star HK hotel, and it is normally cheaper than the other 5-stars, as its older. I prefer its old-world wood panel feel. It’s like the Mandarin Oriental (also fabulous) but the Oriental is much more expensive.

I felt I was not getting the best deals by contacting the hotels directly.
I found I got a good deal through hotels.com. At the least, they have
information about many hotels too. I ended up at the Metropole, small rooms,
but not bad overall. Nicer than Chungking Mansions…

“The Salisbury”
YMCA OF HONG KONG
41 Salisbury Road,
Kowloon, Hong Kong

[quote]Situated at the tip of Kowloon Peninsular with magnificent
view of Victoria Harbour and Hong Kong Island

Newly refurbished 303 rooms & 62 suites are attractively decorated and are installed with data port connections for e-mails, internet and fax services, fitted with individually controlled air-conditioning, remote control colour TV with satellite & cable TV linkage (17 channels), IDD telephone with voice mail, room safe card key security, refrigerator and in-room tea/coffee facilities. Each suite has its own living room and private king size bed room and can accommodate up to 3 adults or a family of 2 adults and 2 small children.

Special business rooms with workstation area, fax, laser printer and computer with unlimited Internet access.

I think Tigerman’s on the money there. But be warned, everytime you step out of your room you’ll be inunndated with copy watch sellers and chappies that promise a nice suit at reasonable prices . . incessantly. It’s in TST (Tsim Tsa Tshui), which is a place folks that live in HK rarely visit . . or spell . . . something to do with the copy watch crowd I guess. It’s also just around the corner from the Chcking Mansions - now surprisingly spruced up, well to a certain level.

Having said all of that. it is convenient - unless you want to go out late on the HK side - taxis through the tunnel are around HK$100 from the entertainment areas on HK island.

Other choices could include:

The Metropark in Causeway Bay . . nice part of it.

(EDIT) By the way, I happen to be staying at the Metropark for a few days as a mate vacated his room but returns later this week and couldn’t get a refund. Great pool on the roof though probably closed for winter, of course) and a good gym. Not that I use it. :blush: Rooms are small, but that is typical of HK. Reasonably priced, clean, a good place in my book.

The Wharney hotel - right in the grit of Wanchai . . interesting scenes below if you catch a room facing Lockhart Road. Actually, despite the reputation, and lord knows the place is indeed awash with Soth East Asia’s single moms picking up their very hard earned single parent;s pension (of an awful sort), there are some great bars there . . HK Carnegies for one - your dicount card ios good . . but better yet, my favourite directly across the road, the Klong Bar and grill. - A review from the Economist of all places: From a HK city guide: http://www.economist.com/cities/findStory.cfm?city_id=HK&folder=Night%20Spots

Klong Bar and Grill
54-62 Lockhart Rd
Wanchai
Tel: (852) 2217-8330
Although it is also known as

There’s a good selection here: bookings-hk.com
I’ve booked a room through them at the Prudential, right above Jordan MTR. I’ll go there in two weeks time so their booking capabilities have not yet been proven to me…
I would have preferred to be in Wanchai or Causeway Bay, but due to the WTO conference everything in good locations is booked or prices have automatically doubled (tripled, quadrupled etc.). I’ll be paying approximately NT$3,000 per night, and I’ll have good transport connections.

Thanks for all the tips. Balazs, please let me know how your hotel is.

asiarooms.com/hong_kong/hong_kong.html

lots of choice, while i’m still searching for a room during next CNY. have tried BP international but already fully booked.

Is there any of these hotels in Wanchai that I should avoid?

1 Charterhouse Hotel
2 Cosmopolitan Hotel Hong Kong
3 Empire Hong Kong Hotel
4 Grand Hyatt Hotel Hong Kong
5 Harbour View International House
6 Luk Kwok Hotel
7 Novotel Century Hong Kong Hotel
8 Renaissance Harbour View Hotel
9 South Pacific Hotel Hong Kong
10 Wharney Hotel

…or are they all OK?

Any other suggestions?

I figure most of the hotels in Wanchai are sort of alright or past there day, but I have heard absolutely rave reviews abiout the new boutique LKF Hotel at the top end of Lan Kwai Fong. hotel-lkf.com.hk/ by frequent travellers. I believe it is in a similar price range.

HG

The metropark is not bad, the one in Tin Hau is decent, and the price ok.

I partied in the LKF hotel for new year’s. the room’s really nice, multiple tvs, shower and tub, big bed, nice view, sitting room, quite nice.

If you don’t mind staying in Sheung Wan, which is a stone’s throw from central, check out the Ramada. prices go for 650 a nite.

Thanks for your recommendations. I just found out that our secretary has booked me in to Novotel, where some of our European customers are going to stay. I guess the idea is that I should never let them out of my sight, and :beer:

The Novotel in Wanchai is very conveniently located for the sort of things European clients expect to be doing just before needing a hotel. An excellent choice.

Yes, but usually they prefer it if the minders let them out of their sights for at least a tad.

HG

OK, I better close my eyes during the critical moments, or maybe even better, make sure there is some nanny-cams when they are out of my sights… :howyoudoin: