Hong Kong - reasonable hotel for my olds

Mum and Dad are coming to visit in November, and are stopping off for a few days in HK.

They asked me if I could find a decent hotel at a reasonable price.

They’re not fussed as to whether it’s Central or Kowloon, but I expect they’d like to be near an MTR station.

Any recommendations?

Salisbury YMCA

The Kowloon Hotel is OK, but the rooms and beds are very small.

I hear Wan Chai Novotel is OK too, but never been in it myself.

I suppose your Oldsmobile would have to stay in the hotel’s parking garage.

Silvermine Beach Hotel on Lantau. Nice price, and a short half hour fast ferry hop to town. A beautiful time of year to be on my beach (it’s just down the road from me). You take a Lantau (light blue) taxi from the airport right to the back of the hotel. Takes about twenty minutes and you bypass all the madness. A great place to rest up and recharge for the next day’s onslaught of “suit meester? Copy watch, missy?”

I promise to leave them alone!

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Silvermine Beach Hotel on Lantau. Nice price, and a short half hour fast ferry hop to town. A beautiful time of year to be on my beach (it’s just down the road from me). You take a Lantau (light blue) taxi from the airport right to the back of the hotel. Takes about twenty minutes and you bypass all the madness. A great place to rest up and recharge for the next day’s onslaught of “suit meester? Copy watch, missy?”

I promise to leave them alone!

HG[/quote]

Would be a great choice if they’ve been to HK before and done the frantic rippoffery that is Kowloon and the soulless cultural void that is Hong Kong side. Also, less chance of having some deranged monkey throwing acid off the 54th floor onto them. Well, I mean, just avoid Mong Kok I suppose…

OK only. Stayed there about two years ago - small rooms and they put me on a low floor, meaning frosted windows. The Novotel in Jordan (formerly Majestic) is IMO better, just had a friend staying there for a few days last weekend. No bathtub in the standard rooms though, just a shower.

Does around USD100 actually qualify as reasonable?

I would call up a few hotels and ask for promotions during the actual dates, might get a good deal somewhere. Here are a few to check out:
Metropark Wanchai
L’Hotel Causeway Bay
Harbour Plaza North Point (stayed there last year for 3 months)

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I expect they’re looking at something between 250 and 1000 HKD.

Very little I’d call reasonable at that price except the place I suggested.

HG

thems chungking mansion prices…hope they is a fan of wong kar-wai’s work :sunglasses:

i usually pop into star travel and see whats on offer. they sell off cheap rooms for between 500 and 1000 HKD…all three to four star deals with breakfast thrown in…

Is that really Chungking prices in HK? I wasn’t thinking of anything that slummy.

More of something like the sort of business hotel you can get in Taipei for about 2000NT such as the Friends hotel by Guting station. You know, one step up from a love hotel.

If such a place costs a bit more in HK, then I guess they’ll have to pay a bit more. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Is that really Chungking (Chongqing) prices in HK? I wasn’t thinking of anything that slummy.

More of something like the sort of business hotel you can get in Taipei for about 2000NT such as the Friends hotel by Guting station. You know, one step up from a love hotel.

If such a place costs a bit more in HK, then I guess they’ll have to pay a bit more. :slight_smile:[/quote]

250 is chungking prices…700 and above will get you 3 star discount rooms but depending on season and availability…

The hotels I mentioned should be in the range of HKD750-1000, unless there is some exhibition during that time or another reason to hike up prices. But November is still far away, thus I am not sure if you can get reliable quotes right now.

Yeah, Rascal’s recommendations look reasonable. One of those or the Lantau one should be the ticket (or the Y).

Thanks.

mandarinoriental.com/excelsior/

novotel.com/hotel-directory/ … -hotel.htm

metroparkhotels.com/hotel/en … el=wanchai

hong-kong-hotels-network.com … g-kong.htm

You might luck out and get the Kowloon Hotel for less than HK$1000. In that price range it is pretty good. Just behind the Pen and handy for TST MTR. At least it’s clean. Try them direct - dunno the website, sorry. Have paid HK$1500 to stay there but got it once for HK$850 plus tax.

There seems to be no middle ground in HK between backpackers’ hostels and the great hotels like the Ritz-Carlton (is it still open?).

It’s closed, they are moving into the ICC which is currently under construction (that tall thing on the Kowloon side). Supposingly it will become the world’s tallest hotel.

It’s closed, they are moving into the ICC which is currently under construction (that tall thing on the Kowloon side). Supposingly it will become the world’s tallest hotel.[/quote]

Shame. It was a lovely hotel. Not that I can afford to stay in it any more.