Hoping for a stroke of luck (Brit trying to stay in Taiwan)

Obviously asylum is not an option. As shite as England may be you have to have a justifiable risk of persecution to claim asylum.

OP mentioned lack of documentation. I donā€™t know how strict Barbados is about that, but for the new visa they expect you to have either $50,000 US expected income or enough assets to support yourself (and dependants if applicable).

And I donā€™t know how strict the WDA is about proof of five years of experience in lieu of a degree, but perhaps you can put together some sort of dossier?

(Just for argumentā€™s sake, Britain was talking a few years ago about implementing involuntary loss of citizenship for certain crimes. I donā€™t recall whether they went through with itā€¦ but if you went down that road, you would need to get arrested first anyway.)

Donā€™t do a sham marriage btw. Your spouse could blackmail you for the rest of your life, and if discovered you would, of course, be deported. It has happened.

3 Likes

If you are born before 1986 i believe and your mom is Taiwanese you may be able to get Taiwan citizenship if you renounce any other

If your Dad is Taiwanese you are already entitled to Taiwan citizenship

FAIK

just for argumentā€™s sake, engaging in crime and arrested and jailed would force you to stay in Taiwan for a certain period, but it wonā€™t be in peace.

2 Likes

I think you mean after.
My children were among the first group of children of foreign fathers to get automatic citizenship, 17 years ago, time flies. The law applied retroactively but there was a cut off date.
There are still many Forumosans among us who missed that date. Some by a few months.
There is an advocacy group for people who were born in Taiwan and either had a father who was a foreigner or were children of parents and who made Taiwan their home. Not sure they could offer you great legal help, but they may be able to put you in touch with people.
Yeah, the degree thing sucks. They should have a life experience test. Degrees are overrated.
Youā€™ve got skill and the ability to make a living anywhere. thatā€™s special talent. Donā€™t commit a crime. Having a clean record is a main factor in getting a permanent Visa here.
also donā€™t think of committing suicide.
you have talent and can support yourself. That is more than a lot of people.
and about the requirement that you must go to a physical school and not do your degree online is true.
it was a roadblock preventing many of us four-year degree holders from getting her masterā€™s degree.
Maybe with this covid the rules have changed.

1 Like

I think Tommy means before as he wrote. Maybe you can get an ARC as a foreigner sponsored by your Taiwanese mother and can get a citizenship if you renounce any other.

1 Like

I was born BEFORE the cut off date so the fact that my Mom was TAiwanese and the fact that I was born in Taipei still meant that I could not get TAiwan citizenship without renouncing my US one (which I will not do) is unfair.

Why does the ROC govt think that people born before the cut off date are LESS human then those born After???

There should be no cut off date.

People born after that cut off date can get ROC citizenship by virtue of EITHER of their parents being TAiwanese. This is the way it should be for anyone born of a Taiwan parent regarding of the year they were bornā€¦

Taiwan lags behind in Human Rights and has to be FORCED to change.

3 Likes

Please note the government is happy to give exemptions on the degree and two year work experience rule if a good case can be made by the work visa sponsoring company. So if you happen to have a valuable skill itā€™s still possible to get hired.

2 Likes

Life experience test is the future as more people are now educated in universities plus the prevalence of gig economy. This is the way to recruit and select suitable staff/volunteers/etc for any organisation/entity.

1 Like

You should consider very carefully. Hk has a British consulate for your consultation.

This century is Asia especially southeast Asia.

what do you mean by this?

Why not hit up South Korea? you gotta do a 2 week quarantine in a gov hotel, after that you got 3 months, give Vietnam a visit or something.

1 Like

is south korea accepting tourists? is vietnam?

Vietnam is but you gotta apply for a visa first

ā€œVietnam has temporarily suspended visa waivers, issuing of visas and the entry into Vietnam for all foreign nationals.ā€

2 Likes

How long are you allowed to stay Visa free now?

6 months. so early september.

Oh my bad, still though SK is an option for you

You should be able to stay until October 4, according to this:
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141457/142068/232841/