Hoping for Hoping Peace Fest 2006!

Hey good people,

Just a note to let you know that the 3rd Peace Fest is in the works, and to ask you to mark your calendars for June 9-11th[color=red][Mod edit: Now it is 23-25 June][/color]. This year, the festival is going to a full weekend–sundown Friday to sundown Saturday–& we expect it to be bigger & better than ever.

It’s a benefit concert, run totally by volunteers, and the proceeds from everything–tickets, drink sales, merchandise, & a percentage from food vendors–go to local & international charities. This year, we’ve chosen the Taiwan Association for Human Rights, Oxfam, St. Ann’s Orphanage in Taipei, The Taiwan International Worker’s Association, and Garden of Hope. Last year we raised around 100,000nt, & we hope to double that number this time.

Bands already confirmed include Milk, Boogie Chillin’, Wise Maneouvers, David Chen & the Muddy Basin Ramblers, the Anglers, Silent Toads, Fireflower, the Sound Clashes, Long Gone Sound, Hulihutu, Mister Green, the Scooters, Fat Club, Native Space & To a God Unknown, with more to come. Legendary aboriginal bluesman Kimbo performed the first two years & will likely return again.

This year’s festival will be held in the same beautiful mountain setting as previous years–Kunlun Herb Gardens, outside Longtan, in Taoyuan county. There is plenty of camping available on site & a wide range of food & drink available through the weekend. Advance tickets are selling for 500nt & include souvenirs.

Please visit the website at hopingforhoping.com to learn more.

Thanks, & hope to see you there.

sc

We can’t wait for this to go down, its going to be so fun and all the bands listed are great.

I spent a goodly amount of time posting directions last year…But the events threads are deleted after 60 days so…

Tomorrow.

[quote=“Scott Cook”]Hey good people,

Just a note to let you know that the 3rd Peace Fest is in the works, and to ask you to mark your calendars for June 9-11th. This year, the festival is going to a full weekend–sundown Friday to sundown Saturday–& we expect it to be bigger & better than ever.

It’s a benefit concert, run totally by volunteers, and the proceeds from everything–tickets, drink sales, merchandise, & a percentage from food vendors–go to local & international charities. This year, we’ve chosen the Taiwan Association for Human Rights, Oxfam, St. Ann’s Orphanage in Taipei, The Taiwan International Worker’s Association, and Garden of Hope. Last year we raised around 100,000nt, & we hope to double that number this time.

Bands already confirmed include Milk, Boogie Chillin’, Wise Maneouvers, David Chen & the Muddy Basin Ramblers, the Anglers, Silent Toads, Fireflower, the Sound Clashes, Long Gone Sound, Hulihutu, Mister Green, the Scooters, Fat Club, Native Space & To a God Unknown, with more to come. Legendary aboriginal bluesman Kimbo performed the first two years & will likely return again.

This year’s festival will be held in the same beautiful mountain setting as previous years–Kunlun Herb Gardens, outside Longtan, in Taoyuan county. There is plenty of camping available on site & a wide range of food & drink available through the weekend. Advance tickets are selling for 500nt & include souvenirs.

Please visit the website at hopingforhoping.com to learn more.

Thanks, & hope to see you there.

sc[/quote]
Great bands! :bravo:
Should be a rocking time.
MJB, you can post directions again. You know them by heart anyway.

DRATS, it would have to be the weekend of Computex… Arrrggghhh bad for the E-Store and for any chance of me playing there… hmmm maybe look into it anyway…

For god’s sake man! It’ll be WAY better than Computex – how can you even compare?
Farting around a stuffy overcrowded convention hall looking at a bunch of boring-arse shite, or hanging out for a couple days in a sunny grassy clearing in a forest playing music with a bunch of freaks? :loco:

I completely agree, but sadly my boss doesn’t. But hey, I’ll be there Sunday, even if I’m not going to get to play, I’ll be there.

Hoping for Hoping Peace Festival
9th -11th June 2006

Shouldn’t it be “Hoping for Heping”? :stuck_out_tongue:

…it’s all chinese to me. wade-giles has been contacted from beyond the grave & affirms the correctness of the spelling, though more contemporary sources may disagree.

I just think it’s funny that we all called my old boss back in Canada “Mr. Ho” & he never corrected us.

…might say “Ho” is English for 和, like “Taipei” is English for 台北… or not. he he.

lookin forward to the party, spelling confusions notwithstanding. cheers

s

scottcook.net

Don’t you mean 和 和 ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Not true. Wade-Giles would be Ho-p’ing.

Stella Artois will be a sponsor at the Peace Fest this year! We would like to thank Jimmy, who is the company’s rep, and Azul and Angie (of Azuls, Longtan) for this wonderful sponsorship… So we will be selling beer at NT$50.00 for the duration of the Peace Fest with the proceeds being distributed to charity… And don’t forget to check out the website www.hopingforhoping.com for the amazing band line-up, the great activities (for adults and kids) and much more…

Peace it to gather

[color=indigo]“One little person, giving all of her time to peace, makes news. Many people, giving some of their time, can make history.”

• Peace Pilgrim [/color]

Just a little reminder… Hoping for Hoping Pre-Peace Fest Party is at Azuls this Friday night! You can sign up as a volunteer for the Peace Fest in June, enjoy the great sounds of The Anglers and Wise Manouevers or just indulge in the great beer special…

Come along and have some fun… :wink:

Check out the website for more about the party and Peace Fest
[color=green]www.hopingforhoping.com[/color]

[color=blue]“One little person, giving all of her time to peace, makes news. Many people, giving some of their time, can make history.”

• Peace Pilgrim [/color]

[color=blue]7 days to Peace Fest and this is one not to be missed!

Check out www.hopingforhoping.com for updates…

Peace it to gather…[/color]

I just saw the schedule of bands om the site. :notworthy: You do not want to miss this weekend.

This one sounds like a lot of fun. Especially if the weather is nice. But may be a little expensive. Is there a kids price or is it 500NT for each people? How is parking? (for cars?)

And I’m really hoping MJB puts up his stellar directions again. MJB?

Ok, here goes:

By car from Taipei on the 1st Freeway:

Take the freeway south to the highway 66 interchange…Take the eastbound exit and follow until it ends, taking note that about 1km before the end, the 66 splits…Stay in the right hand two lanes. Then after about 300meters get on the Second freeway heading south, and take the following exit (Longtan interchange)

By car from the second freeway:

Take the Second freeway south to the Longtan interchange.

From there:

Turn left under the freeway, and go about 500meters to the first major traffic light. You’ll see signs to Shrmen dam here. Turn left, and follow this road until it ends. It’s about 5.5km, so be patient. Turn right.

Next part is critical, so read carefully:

After the right hand turn, you’ll climb a gradual hill, crest it, and go down for a couple of turns and then level out for about a total of 3km driving. Right where the road begins to climb again, you’ll see a road on your left, and you should be able to make out the brown Kunlun Gardens sign, with a temple on your right. Turn left here.

It’s a fairly steep narrow road, and there is a false split about 200meters in…ignore it, and stay to the left (obvious). You’ll also pass an entrance to some kind of theme park that you’d think would be it. It’s not. Ignore this as well, and go up another 1km or so…The entrance is on the right. Drive up to the parking lot, and pack up whatever you need. You’ll be walking from here. The trail starts at the rear left hand side of the parking lot and takes about 20 minutes to complete. It’s steep in the beginning.

By motorcycle from Taipei:

If you know your own route to Tashi then ignore this section…I prefer to take Roosevelt Rd into Shindian and take the right over the bridge at Bitan lake (Ankeng Road?) Cross over the bridge and this becomes the 110. Honk loudly when passing Sandmans house, and continue through a congested area which will open up onto a pretty decent country road all the way until it hits provencial highway 3. Turn left towards Sanshia. Ride 2 or 3kms and you’ll see a turn off to Tashi on your left. Take it. Follow this road all the way into downtown Tashi (about 9km) until you see the traditional city gate entrance on your left. Turn left here, and follow this road all the way to the entrance of Shrmen dam. Once you get there, the road narrows and splits. Take the right fork, cross the long bridge (nice view of the dam from here)and then a long hill which will end up at a T-intersection.

Go straight through it, and you’ll climb a gradual hill, crest it, and go down for a couple of turns and then level out for about a total of 3km driving. Right where the road begins to climb again, you’ll see a road on your left, and you should be able to make out the brown Kunlun Gardens sign. Turn left here. It’s a fairly steep narrow road, and there is a false split about 200meters in…ignore it, and stay to the left (obvious). You’ll also pass an entrance to some kind of theme park that you’d think would be it. It’s not. Ignore this as well, and go up another 1km or so…The entrance is on the right. Drive up to the parking lot, and pack up whatever you need. You’ll be walking from here. The trail starts at the rear left hand side of the parking lot and takes about 20 minutes to complete. It’s steep in the beginning.

By car from down south:

Take the 2nd freeway heading north, and once you pass the Kuanshi exit, and start climbing, watch for the rest stop area. I’m giving you a local shortcut that will save you 30 minutes on the drive, so read carefully or you’ll miss it.

Once you pass the rest stop exit, the next stop will be the Lungtan toll gate. Get in the right hand lane well before there. You’ll pass a truck weigh station and once you do, there is a tiny road going off to your right with a one way sign against you. Ignore it. Go up and follow this road to a flashing red light. Across and to the right there is a 4 lane highway…Take it. Follow this to the first intersection (large one) and go straight through it. You’ll follow this road for about 2km and you’ll descend for about 1km. Just at the bottom, you’ll see a road on your right, and the sign for Kunlun Gardens. Turn right here.

It’s a fairly steep narrow road, and there is a false split about 200meters in…ignore it, and stay to the left (obvious). You’ll also pass an entrance to some kind of theme park that you’d think would be it. It’s not. Ignore this as well, and go up another 1km or so…The entrance is on the right. Drive up to the parking lot, and pack up whatever you need. You’ll be walking from here. The trail starts at the rear left hand side of the parking lot and takes about 20 minutes to complete. It’s steep in the beginning.

By motorcycle from down south:

Take the provencial Highway 3 North, and once you pass through Kuanshi, you’ll cross under the Freeway twice. After the second time (you’ll be climbing a gradual hill) keep an eye out for a large 4 way intersection with a Formosa gas station on your right. Turn right here.

You’ll follow this road for about 2km and you’ll descend for about 1km. Just at the bottom, you’ll see a road on your right, and the sign for Kunlun Gardens. Turn right here.

Holy crap, if you can’t make heads or tails out of my directions, then send me a PM.

Hope to see you there :sunglasses:

Thanks MJB. Those are cool pictures. It’s just too bad my helicopter is in the shop. (just kidding)